HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2024, 09:10 PM   #1
nickh

Liked 237 Times in 98 Posts
Default Cryogenics

So I do not run a stocker or in SS, and know many people cryogenic treat rearend gears. Anyone do this with their blocks, cranks, rods?

But have the utmost respect for you guys and what you are doing. What are the pros & cons? How expensive is it to do? My bracket Nova had the gears done by previous owner, he never told me how much.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 405 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Cryogenics

Nick, it's not worth it for a stocker, much less a bracket car. Most engine builders will tell you don't waste your $. Years ago I tried coatings on the pistons, chambers and other parts against the advice of my engine builder at the time Tracy Dennis aka Sunset Racecraft. He was right, wasn't worth the cost and nothing on the dyno or time slip. My 3rd members are now done by Wayne aka Indy Gear and the R&P is Cryo'd, cost was $75

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-14-2024 at 09:26 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2024, 10:23 PM   #3
SBillinson

Liked 167 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
So I do not run a stocker or in SS, and know many people cryogenic treat rearend gears. Anyone do this with their blocks, cranks, rods?

But have the utmost respect for you guys and what you are doing. What are the pros & cons? How expensive is it to do? My bracket Nova had the gears done by previous owner, he never told me how much.
I welded a set of aluminum heads and sent them to 300 Below for cryo. The heads machined better and were much harder than as cast. The heat affected areas on the deck where super hard and gave my surfacer a work out.

I have three aftermarket cast iron blocks that I'm sending to cryo because, in part, I want them a little harder. I do have to weld two of them. Cryo strengthen not only the weld, but the transition between the weld and base material. It also stress relieves the part.

I have a set a pistons that I need profiled for a new chamber. I don't expect much material to be removed from the dome, but nevertheless will send them to cryo for good measure.

The bottom line: Cryo works. I wouldn't think twice about doing a crank, but don't know if I'd do a set of rods. I also wouldn't hesitate to do a set of rockers.

300 Below charges by the pound.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:54 AM   #4
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post
I welded a set of aluminum heads and sent them to 300 Below for cryo. The heads machined better and were much harder than as cast. The heat affected areas on the deck where super hard and gave my surfacer a work out.

I have three aftermarket cast iron blocks that I'm sending to cryo because, in part, I want them a little harder. I do have to weld two of them. Cryo strengthen not only the weld, but the transition between the weld and base material. It also stress relieves the part.

I have a set a pistons that I need profiled for a new chamber. I don't expect much material to be removed from the dome, but nevertheless will send them to cryo for good measure.

The bottom line: Cryo works. I wouldn't think twice about doing a crank, but don't know if I'd do a set of rods. I also wouldn't hesitate to do a set of rockers.

300 Below charges by the pound.
We found the same thing with cryo heads. The cleaned up better and held up better with alot of nitrous
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-16-2024, 12:12 PM   #5
Stickshift

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I will never ever run a flat tappet cam and lifters without a cryo treatment ever again. The cam and lifters look so much better that for the money there is no sense not doing it.

Back when I was dealing with cheap dirt track racers we sent out EVERY cast crank for cryo, along with brake rotors. The cranks went from half a season to 3 years. And I only took them out because I figured they saved enough we didn’t need to chance it.

Brake rotors…I forgot how much longer they went but IIRC the cost break down was the savings in a year paid for the next two years of brake parts.

Cryo works.
Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #6
Stickshift

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post

Stockers and bracket engines are the guys who SHOULD be doing cryo. It’s relatively cheap and the life span of the parts (plus the added toughness) far outweighs the cost.

Doing blocks makes the ring seal better, although I’ve only done two blocks and since I retired I’ve lost track of those blocks. You could see the ring seal was better on the blowby meter.
Stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-16-2024, 04:47 PM   #7
rx dealer

Liked 53 Times in 13 Posts

works great on valve springs too.
rx dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:15 PM   #8
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 405 Times in 194 Posts

PAC, PSI and Peterson all sell springs that are polished, which provides longer spring life than unpolished and all I’ve used for over 20 years.

Nick, I suggest you call and ask Scott Duggins aka PAR, Joe Jolly aka Sunset Performance, Phil Oakley aka Oakley Motorsports, Alan Bracey aka The Race Shop and Joey Hessling aka APD, the 5 biggest names in sportsman bracket, super classes, top sportsman and top dragster engine builders in the country about cryo for your bracket engine.

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-16-2024 at 07:26 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked