HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
TDCRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default air fuel ratio?

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out if my bracket car would benefit from a air fuel guage.I have an narrow band gauge already (not installed yet)and dont really want to buy a wide band as i think the money could be spent better somewhere else. but was wondering if anybody knew anything about them or a good article. Its a carbed sbc low 10sec car if it helps. Thanks Dave
TDCRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 424 Times in 204 Posts
Default Re: air fuel ratio?

I've been tuning my bracket cars and others, sbc and bbc for nearly 25 years and I never used an air/fuel gauge or wide band and my current bracket car runs well in the 8's. Jet for best MPH and a richer not leaner is best for consistency.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
TDCRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats what i do, but recently ive seen alot of cars at the track with oxygen sensors. just thought I was missing something. Since i work on the newer automobiles I understand the sensors and such.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
nomad

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
I've been tuning my bracket cars and others, sbc and bbc for nearly 25 years and I never used an air/fuel gauge or wide band and my current bracket car runs well in the 8's. Jet for best MPH and a richer not leaner is best for consistency.
An O2 sensor is not the end all. It's just one tool in your tool box. I use an O2 with my data recorder but, at the end of the day I'm still checking plugs and jetting for MPH.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Belvedere II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My narrow band sensor setup was pretty useless for actual numbers but did indicate I was running out of gas on the top end when it happened and got me to pull the tank and fix the pickup. That problem was pretty easy to diagnose though without the meter. More recently I installed a wideband Innovate setup and found my carb leaning out at a certain point. I thought the problem was being on the edge of a timing advance limit when street driving, but with the sensor watched the A/F run from 11's and 12's to 15 then 16 then 17:1 as the car started bucking during that part of pedal travel. Searched online to find this was a common problem with Demon carbs and that replacing the HSAB's fixed it. I stripped a couple of helicoils from the Demon this year and put my old Thermoquad on to finish the year, really slick to see how a street oriented carb runs compared to a race design. I think it'll be a more useful tool with the capability to record and review exactly what the A/F is doing during a race, but haven't gotten those pieces yet.
Belvedere II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
TDCRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well since then I've gotten a wide band AEM gauge and seem to have some luck with it raised my primary jets 2 sizes and rears 3 sizes but having a little tough time watching the gauge during passes. But had to end the year with a bad transmission. So well see what the new year brings.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCRACING View Post
Well since then I've gotten a wide band AEM gauge and seem to have some luck with it raised my primary jets 2 sizes and rears 3 sizes but having a little tough time watching the gauge during passes. But had to end the year with a bad transmission. So well see what the new year brings.
Install a GoPro camera in the cockpit for runs down the track focused on the afr gauge/tach.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Mytcar34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a innovate data logger you cant beat it for info. if your a/f ratio goes south you know exactly when plus it can be used to monitor tire slippage, rpm etc . Works on every thing from stock eliminator. street car, bracket.racing. I would not even consider running nitros without one.
Mytcar34 is offline   Reply With Quote