HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: MegaSquirt system on stockers?

Well I picked the phone up to call and ask you this Matt, BUT I thought for a second (i can do that from time to time before I act on impulse alone

And I thought well since I dont know, and well maybe there are other who dont know....so we can all learn.

So 2 questions to 2 groups

1) S10....Why do you want to run a MAF ? For drag racing it seem to me being (but having a base understanding) to be an extra item to worry about in the chain that isnt really neccesary ? But seeming as your sharp, you must have a reason or feel there is a reason.

2)Anyone else including Matt, what are the Advantages/Disadvantages of using this over Alpha-N or Speed Density or Hybrid ? Why would someone WANT to run it and have to go through all the extras surroinding it ?

I thought (maybe incorrectly) that MAF was "old" even on new cars.....or am I just stuck on a couple types that dont implement it .... the SRT8 dosent have it does it...lol....

Cheers

Chris
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well since you have helped me so much I have no problem answering those questions. First let me start by saying this is very much a per application deal. I do lean on guys like Mr. Ed Wright with Fastchips and Geoff Skinner with Engine Power Systems alot when it comes to using stock ECMs. Mr. Wright did my first tunes on my computer by mail order and Geoff was able to sell me the ability to do my own programs so I could make moves at the track. When it comes to engines that at their max RPM could never outflow a MAF why not at least try. With the factory cold air intake and ducting a MAF shouldn't hurt, but how will you know unless you try. Now I have never ran any programs but MAF; however I could pull my race motor and install a 4.3 bone stock from the factory and it will not only run well but great(as for a stock engine). The MAF is the answer. If you have most of the maps built to use Air/Fuel ratio via the MAF and calculated flow of the injectors & temp, what is behind it shouldn't matter much. You can set up a MAF program and use that to build AN or SD program by datalogging your sensor reading in running situations. Now I may be oversimplifying this but that is my thought process.

P.S.I can't spell worth a crap and I don't have spellcheck so forgive any misspelled words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
Well I picked the phone up to call and ask you this Matt, BUT I thought for a second (i can do that from time to time before I act on impulse alone

And I thought well since I dont know, and well maybe there are other who dont know....so we can all learn.

So 2 questions to 2 groups

1) S10....Why do you want to run a MAF ? For drag racing it seem to me being (but having a base understanding) to be an extra item to worry about in the chain that isnt really neccesary ? But seeming as your sharp, you must have a reason or feel there is a reason.

2)Anyone else including Matt, what are the Advantages/Disadvantages of using this over Alpha-N or Speed Density or Hybrid ? Why would someone WANT to run it and have to go through all the extras surroinding it ?

I thought (maybe incorrectly) that MAF was "old" even on new cars.....or am I just stuck on a couple types that dont implement it .... the SRT8 dosent have it does it...lol....

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks also to Jerry, Matt, Russ, and Ben and y'all will be hearing from me soon.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must be so happy today and on cloud 9 because of my bearing clearances and Ive checked em twice and plastigauged them and all 100% the same measurments and PERFECT like .0035 perfect (and thats what I wanted) and all so close I was scared and checked em again.

I didnt pay attention, well I read it but it didnt "compute" that you were using the stock ECU, makes a world of difference .....

Derrrrrhuuhhh......

Sorry didnt read the MAF either read it as MAP ?

Deerrrrrhhhhhhuuhhhhh.....

I get it good point, it seemed like an awful long extra way to go on an aftermarket ECU......

But your not and I see every one of your points 100%.......Now......see good for me to ask than be confused....

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10stocker View Post
Well since you have helped me so much I have no problem answering those questions. First let me start by saying this is very much a per application deal. I do lean on guys like Mr. Ed Wright with Fastchips and Geoff Skinner with Engine Power Systems alot when it comes to using stock ECMs. Mr. Wright did my first tunes on my computer by mail order and Geoff was able to sell me the ability to do my own programs so I could make moves at the track. When it comes to engines that at their max RPM could never outflow a MAF why not at least try. With the factory cold air intake and ducting a MAF shouldn't hurt, but how will you know unless you try. Now I have never ran any programs but MAF; however I could pull my race motor and install a 4.3 bone stock from the factory and it will not only run well but great(as for a stock engine). The MAF is the answer. If you have most of the maps built to use Air/Fuel ratio via the MAF and calculated flow of the injectors & temp, what is behind it shouldn't matter much. You can set up a MAF program and use that to build AN or SD program by datalogging your sensor reading in running situations. Now I may be oversimplifying this but that is my thought process.

P.S.I can't spell worth a crap and I don't have spellcheck so forgive any misspelled words.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
I must be so happy today and on cloud 9 because of my bearing clearances and Ive checked em twice and plastigauged them and all 100% the same measurments and PERFECT like .0035 perfect (and thats what I wanted) and all so close I was scared and checked em again.
You have to be kidding...are you really using Plastigage on a high dollar engine?
The proper way is to determine bearing clearance would be to measure the OD of the journal diameter of the shaft and subtract from that the ID of the installed bearing insert, the difference being the clearance. Spend the money on the right tools and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sheesh back off....I Did TWICE I have "the right tools" I use plastigauge as secondary across the journal. I DID it the right way TWICE, Did it once and took it apart for another reason. Did it AGAIN , and then put it "together" in mock up to check cam and ptv clearances, and since I was there I used plastigauge.....

Didnt hurt to "verify" and it did, spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
You have to be kidding...are you really using Plastigage on a high dollar engine?
The proper way is to determine bearing clearance would be to measure the OD of the journal diameter of the shaft and subtract from that the ID of the installed bearing insert, the difference being the clearance. Spend the money on the right tools and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Sheesh back off....I Did TWICE I have "the right tools" I use plastigauge as secondary across the journal. I DID it the right way TWICE, Did it once and took it apart for another reason. Did it AGAIN , and then put it "together" in mock up to check cam and ptv clearances, and since I was there I used plastigauge.....

Didnt hurt to "verify" and it did, spot on.
Can you spin the rotating assembly without the heads, effortlessly with a speed wrench?
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote