HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #41
Henrys Toy

Liked 453 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: If you could pilot a TF for $10k a race, would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
I would like to do this, but I’m pretty certain after one run the way I would drive the owner would give the $10,000.00 plus another ten not to drive again! There would be much damage!
To run a local short track Nascar Modified here on Long Island right now takes about $1,200.00 for one Saturday night, that's not including the truck, trailer, car , engine ..... ect. $10,000.00 plus paying for license, to even try driving a T/F car..................................Priceless!

My mind says this is great!
What little common sense I got left tells me - this is waaaaaay past my limitations.
Sorry.
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #42
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

Matt,
I have always wanted to ask
Will NHRA accept my pilots license and upgrade it...
Why not..
I can through the air at over 300 MPH..
Old 01-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #43
matt82114

Liked 117 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Matt,
I have always wanted to ask
Will NHRA accept my pilots license and upgrade it...
Why not..
I can through the air at over 300 MPH..
I don't see why not? But going through the air at 300 vs. being on the ground where the margin or error is (I'm guessing) slightly smaller could be a decision maker. I'm sure I could ask Josh Peterson and see what he says. He usually replies to my emails and texts in just a few minutes.

It's the zero - 100 in a second and/or the zero to 200 in 2 seconds and/or the zero - 300 in under 4 seconds that may cause you to say, "Wow, this is not the same as flying a plane!" Then there's the whole slowing down thing ............

C'mon Adger ......... it's only money ......... lots and lots of money. LOL
matt82114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #44
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
I would like to do this, but I’m pretty certain after one run the way I would drive the owner would give the $10,000.00 plus another ten not to drive again! There would be much damage!
I know you who want to do a dry hit.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #45
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Yea, that slowing down is tough on the body.
I've already had 2 detached retina's.
Probably past time for my old body to experience it.
I'm sure it is a thrilling ride.
Good luck in 2021
Old 01-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #46
B Parker

Liked 2,311 Times in 454 Posts

Even though I probably could afford it. I was thinking you would have to pay me $10,000 a race to risk my life driving one of those things. Rethinking it a little if I was to pro rate my life being 65 maybe $ 200 a race and we would call it even. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 01-27-2021 at 01:53 PM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #47
Adger Smith
VIP Member

BP I like your pro rating & pay scale...
Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #48
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bailey View Post
Well MJ, there's a couple guys in Florida, including myself, a Mr. Don Garlits and maybe Dave Connelly. Then there's a nice looking young lady from Arizona, Leah Pruett. Could be more …..but not many.... Someone needs to step up (dip into their 401k), and take Matt up on this offer! Then report back on how easy these things are to drive !
I don't know if it was at the same time, but Joe Aluise raced Stock/Top Stock and then licensed in Funny Car.

Last edited by Mike Schwartz; 01-27-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I mentioned Jim but I realized I was quoting him.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #49
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82114 View Post
Depends. If it's the US Nationals ......... no. Because you're going against cars that cost $20k PER RUN.

But if 18 cars show up then yes, it has a good chance of making the field. And with most fields only having 18 or less cars then we know we have a good shot at qualifying.

The 'show up' money is what makes it feasible for us. $10k to qualify, $7,500 to 17 & 18, $6,500 to 19 & 20.

But we can't operate on that alone. Like your cars, these things run on money. The fuel is about $30 a gallon and we use 1 gallon per 15 seconds at idle. So just a warmup for us is around $200 in fuel alone.

The licensing is what will really set you back. $25k to attempt it and that doesn't come with any guarantees. So it may take 2 separate trips. And you still have to show us and NHRA that you can handle it. A small error turns into a big one with this power and speed ........ but of course you guys already know this.

We're trying to plan for 2021. And I kinda figured there may be a few on this board who just may want to talk more about it. I respect the total crap out of every single one of you. You guys are die hard. I love class racing. And running a St/SS car isn't cheap, especially when you're attending 8 races and chasing points. But with the rigs some of you guys roll in I know enough to know some of you have a few coins to rub together. And some of you have serious contacts or businesses.

So I figured, "What the heck? Why not ask the Stock / Super Stock guys if they're interested?" I thought worse case scenario you tell me to fly a kite. Best case scenario it gets a few guys interested. Because we would only want to attend around 6 races a year. All of which have low car counts simply because we really need that $10k vs $7,500.

And Larry Hill - we can make room for you ;-) And we'd be honored to have Mrs. Patty take photos. But you'd have to bend over a lot for the photos with the little ones!
Any chance that you are with the Haas family, also from TN? Last year Joey Haas did basically the same thing you mention, while driving Terry Totten's car, He qualified 16th out of 19 at Indy-3, and 12th out of 14 at Dallas. He's looking for TF rides again, but in the meantime they've acquired a Nitro Funny car for match racing.

Haas family plans to run its Funny Car in match races, Funny Car Chaos events
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #50
matt82114

Liked 117 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
Any chance that you are with the Haas family, also from TN? Last year Joey Haas did basically the same thing you mention, while driving Terry Totten's car, He qualified 16th out of 19 at Indy-3, and 12th out of 14 at Dallas. He's looking for TF rides again, but in the meantime they've acquired a Nitro Funny car for match racing.

Haas family plans to run its Funny Car in match races, Funny Car Chaos events

I've already spoken to Joey. And it was the US Nationals (Indy 4) that Joey qualified on the bump. He bumped himself in during Q3 Saturday night.
matt82114 is offline   Reply With Quote