HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Carl Battis

Liked 179 Times in 35 Posts
Default I Got Beat By The Division Director In Round 1

A heads up to my fellow racers - don’t let this happen to you!

Yesterday’s First Round at the Tulsa LODRS event was a bit of a goat rope. The 3rd Round of qualifying on Saturday was thrown out. The Final Qualifying Sheet and Ladder Sheet were invalidated; and a “voluntary” 4th qualifying pass was offered instead of the scheduled Round 1 of Eliminations. 1st Round was rescheduled for Sunday morning, with Stock being the first class out at 8:30am. So far, so good.

After Q-4 for whatever reason the NHRA officials couldn’t get the Qualifying Sheet or Ladder Sheet finished. All classes had finished running - still no sheets for anybody. Finally around 8:30pm they announced sheets were available. When I was waiting to pick up my sheet a racer pointed out to the NHRA Div 4 official that both sheets contained an error. So back to the drawing board....more waiting as the FINAL FINAL FINAL Qualifying Sheet and Ladder were redone and issued around 9:00pm. So far, so good....albeit messy.

Sunday morning the NHRA Div 4 officials changed the schedule and moved Super Street to first up at 8:30. Stock was up next. There were 48 cars entered - meaning 46/22, 47/23, and 48/24 were the first 3 pairs scheduled. Since I was qualified #27 I wasn’t affected....or so I thought. Unknown to the racers, it turns out the NHRA Div 4 officials were reworking the Qualifying Sheet and Ladder for the 4th time - hence the delay. They wound up with 2 reworks that morning and numerous cars were changed at the last minute. So far, not so good.....and getting worse.

Miraculously, I moved up 4 slots - which made me a first three pairing car who should have run #47 on the sheet. I was unaware of the FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL change. I drove up to the staging lanes fairly early - but was told by the Lane Director that I was late, and my opponent had already gone up the starting line. Needless to say I was totally taken aback and could not believe it. At this point there only about 8 cars getting paired up, and the rest had yet to arrive.

I had a discussion with the Lane Director about my situation. He was ambiguous until I asked him directly what my status was: “You’re DQ as a no-show.” I then went over and talked to the Div 4 Tech Official who happened to be standing in the lanes. He was sympathetic, but pointed me in the direction of one of the Operations officials. I walked to the head of the lanes and had a discussion with that gentleman. He listened to me, and told me I would have to take it up with the Division Director Trey Capps in the tower.

I walked to Race Control in the tower and made my case to Division Director Trey Capps. He blew me off, not really making eye contact with me. He told me that the changes were announced, and pairing sheets were given to racers as they arrived in the lanes. He also pointed out their text notification system. I informed him the loudspeakers didn’t work in my pit area, and I was enrolled in their text system but it wasn’t working at this event. “Rules are rules” was his reply.... I was DQ as a no show.

I could see the cars on the starting line as I spoke to him. After all the time that had elapsed for those discussions with the various officials, only 7 pairs had gone down the track. As I walked back to my car and got in about 15 cars were arriving at the back of the lanes. Some cars had yet to arrive - let alone be paired up. I was really upset at this point - but with no clear path to resolve my dilemma. If I had been originally scheduled as a first 3 pair I would take 100% of the blame. But that’s not what happened.

Strike One - the inability to prepare a correct Qualifying Sheet and Ladder on time.
Strike Two - last minute changes on race day made in the lanes - unsat.
Strike Trey - knowing that this is an unusual situation being arbitrary and capricious.

I noticed on the run order for the round that #47 on the sheet was allowed to run in the 12th pair down the track.....well after I had arrived, had my discussions, been DQ and returned to my car. It seems the “Rules are rules” are applied differently for other people. I’m having a hard time believing that the treatment I got would have been given to the Emmons brothers, the Hildagos, the Tuetons, or Cummings family. I traveled 1700 miles to come to this race. I’m currently tied for 2nd in points in Division 7. I deserved better treatment than this.

I’ve never been to a poultry farm before - but I know chicken sh1t when I see it. That’s what this was.

Final note: if I’m ever in the first three pair again and you’re my opponent - I won’t go down the track without you if you’re late arriving. I waited at Sonoma for another racer who was having problems starting his car. I got out of line, got out of my car and waited. Eventually all the cars had run except us. The Lane Control guy told me I had to go or be DQ. I got in my car, and moved slowly up - which allowed my opponent enough time to drive up, and we went down the track together. It’s called “Sportsman” Racing for a reason. Respect your opponent and do the right thing.

Run order, “published” Q sheet and “published” ladder below:

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r=100#indextop

Last edited by Carl Battis; 06-14-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Carl Battis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: I Got Beat By The Division Director In Round 1

I am glad we dont have that to deal with in D2. I feel your pain.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Brad Plourd

Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts

That is so sad. Hard to want to race where you get treated like that.

Trey Capps makes it up as he goes.
Brad Plourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
Dragrac419

Liked 176 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I am glad we dont have that to deal with in D2. I feel your pain.
Mike, Get ready for that to change as we did have the first three pair at Gainesville this year. I hope that was a one time deal but as more people start moving south who knows what is in store.

This almost happened to me in Belle Rose back in 2019 as I was having issues with the EFI and qualified last on the sheet. We were scheduled to run at 9 am the next morning. I got to the track early and was just getting everything ready when someone next to me said you might want to get to the lanes as the time had been moved to 8 am. Should have been nice to have been told of the time change ahead of time as when I left the track that night it was still announced as a 9 am start. Lucky got up there intimate but lost as it was a heads up run that I had no chance at winning.

Sorry this happened to you and Trey should have handled it better in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

This might be the most well worded account of the Dick Kicking you sometimes receive in Div 4, especially, it seems, in Oklahoma. I’m surprised the timing system worked.... I Hate that you, and maybe I, have to do this, but it’s exactly what is needed to fix the issue, in my opinion. Dude needs to hear what he can do to remedy this situation and make the experience better for everyone. He has some sort of “Sports and Leisure Degree” or something like that from a fancy University, so I’m sure he, like any other human, is able to learn from past mistakes and improve. Somebody has to do his job and you get what you pay for.... But, why is Stock out first to begin with? Sometimes Super Stk is first out... but, Isn’t Super Street the entry level class? Does that happen elsewhere? Why did we close the night out with a wrong ladder? All these random differences lead to you getting royally F’d. In my opinion...

I have no idea what the other competitor was thinking and I dislike the blame being placed on them. I’ve been in Div 4 for 20 years and I don’t know the name, and it looks like a brand new competitor on paper. Probably just trying to follow the direction of officials. He might not know the “right thing” to do. There is only one person who could have solved your issues and he failed you. The rest of the Div 4 crew are pretty dang good on the other end of it and Trey seems to want to get it right. He’s just a lot like your competitor in this situation, doesn’t seem to know what’s the right thing to do in sportsman racing sometimes...

Last edited by Hagen Gary; 06-14-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #6
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,076 Times in 767 Posts

Would it make sense for NHRA to have the contestant's phone numbers to text this information? It is the age of information is it not?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

Carl sorry this happened to you and it’s a pain to have to keep checking the ladder
But with all the crying about racers taking there time to get the lanes
We have this 1st. 3 pairs out rule...... I personally never understood why people hated
The racer that was going up late because he likes information. Or just like being last
Now you got the screwing because people encouraged this rule.
But the ladder is like your dial in.... You gotta make sure it’s right.
Definitely sucks

Last edited by James Perrone; 06-14-2021 at 09:31 PM.
James Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #8
Roy Kinslow

Liked 124 Times in 25 Posts

Mr Battis, as someone who is relatively new to class racing I could easily see this happening to me. I have nearly forgotten to check the final qualifying sheet when having car problems etc. I want to thank you for your taking time to post since it is certainly educational for those of us who are still learning. I am sad that this happened and can imagine your disappointment. While I can say that my limited experiences with the div 1 crew have been positive, this is the sort of thing that causes me to question my involvement in the sport. This is the kind of thing where a sponsor of the sport could have some influence. At the very least you deserve a sincere apology. Roy Kinslow
Roy Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

I would have been arrested.

Ron
Old 06-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,592 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Battis View Post
A heads up to my fellow racers - don’t let this happen to you!

Yesterday’s First Round at the Tulsa LODRS event was a bit of a goat rope. The 3rd Round of qualifying on Saturday was thrown out. The Final Qualifying Sheet and Ladder Sheet were invalidated; and a “voluntary” 4th qualifying pass was offered instead of the scheduled Round 1 of Eliminations. 1st Round was rescheduled for Sunday morning, with Stock being the first class out at 8:30am. So far, so good.

After Q-4 for whatever reason the NHRA officials couldn’t get the Qualifying Sheet or Ladder Sheet finished. All classes had finished running - still no sheets for anybody. Finally around 8:30pm they announced sheets were available. When I was waiting to pick up my sheet a racer pointed out to the NHRA Div 4 official that both sheets contained an error. So back to the drawing board....more waiting as the FINAL FINAL FINAL Qualifying Sheet and Ladder were redone and issued around 9:00pm. So far, so good....albeit messy.

Sunday morning the NHRA Div 4 officials changed the schedule and moved Super Street to first up at 8:30. Stock was up next. There were 48 cars entered - meaning 46/22, 47/23, and 48/24 were the first 3 pairs scheduled. Since I was qualified #27 I wasn’t affected....or so I thought. Unknown to the racers, it turns out the NHRA Div 4 officials were reworking the Qualifying Sheet and Ladder for the 4th time - hence the delay. They wound up with 2 reworks that morning and numerous cars were changed at the last minute. So far, not so good.....and getting worse.

Miraculously, I moved up 4 slots - which made me a first three pairing car who should have run #47 on the sheet. I was unaware of the FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL change. I drove up to the staging lanes fairly early - but was told by the Lane Director that I was late, and my opponent had already gone up the starting line. Needless to say I was totally taken aback and could not believe it. At this point there only about 8 cars getting paired up, and the rest had yet to arrive.

I had a discussion with the Lane Director about my situation. He was ambiguous until I asked him directly what my status was: “You’re DQ as a no-show.” I then went over and talked to the Div 4 Tech Official who happened to be standing in the lanes. He was sympathetic, but pointed me in the direction of one of the Operations officials. I walked to the head of the lanes and had a discussion with that gentleman. He listened to me, and told me I would have to take it up with the Division Director Trey Capps in the tower.

I walked to Race Control in the tower and made my case to Division Director Trey Capps. He blew me off, not really making eye contact with me. He told me that the changes were announced, and pairing sheets were given to racers as they arrived in the lanes. He also pointed out their text notification system. I informed him the loudspeakers didn’t work in my pit area, and I was enrolled in their text system but it wasn’t working at this event. “Rules are rules” was his reply.... I was DQ as a no show.

I could see the cars on the starting line as I spoke to him. After all the time that had elapsed for those discussions with the various officials, only 7 pairs had gone down the track. As I walked back to my car and got in about 15 cars were arriving at the back of the lanes. Some cars had yet to arrive - let alone be paired up. I was really upset at this point - but with no clear path to resolve my dilemma. If I had been originally scheduled as a first 3 pair I would take 100% of the blame. But that’s not what happened.

Strike One - the inability to prepare a correct Qualifying Sheet and Ladder on time.
Strike Two - last minute changes on race day made in the lanes - unsat.
Strike Trey - knowing that this is an unusual situation being arbitrary and capricious.

I noticed on the run order for the round that #47 on the sheet was allowed to run in the 12th pair down the track.....well after I had arrived, had my discussions, been DQ and returned to my car. It seems the “Rules are rules” are applied differently for other people. I’m having a hard time believing that the treatment I got would have been given to the Emmons brothers, the Hildagos, the Tuetons, or Cummings family. I traveled 1700 miles to come to this race. I’m currently tied for 2nd in points in Division 7. I deserved better treatment than this.

I’ve never been to a poultry farm before - but I know chicken sh1t when I see it. That’s what this was.

Final note: if I’m ever in the first three pair again and you’re my opponent - I won’t go down the track without you if you’re late arriving. I waited at Sonoma for another racer who was having problems starting his car. I got out of line, got out of my car and waited. Eventually all the cars had run except us. The Lane Control guy told me I had to go or be DQ. I got in my car, and moved slowly up - which allowed my opponent enough time to drive up, and we went down the track together. It’s called “Sportsman” Racing for a reason. Respect your opponent and do the right thing.

Run order, “published” Q sheet and “published” ladder below:

A bad deal for sure CARL ....Brought to you by the same DIVISION that had no working win lights at a divisional last year. Remember the screwing they gave LANCE LINE ......and other racers .....
We don’t DESERVE to be treated this way .....sucks the FUN right out of racing ....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote