Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts
Default Braille batteries

Any thoughts on them on an EFI car? What size etc. thanks
Kdw1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
Matt Welker

Liked 67 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Braille batteries

They sponsor our cars, great company, quality product. I neglect them, in the trailer during winter and all summer, never an issue.

They have 12v and 16v, email or call them with any questions, they have a drag series on their website.
Matt Welker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Not sure what your required battery would be but we run a 21agm in a carb car and I've left the power on a couple times and the battery had nothing, it came back just fine and has been great for a couple years.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
Capri

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Ran them for a very long time. Changed to a Optima 2 years ago. I currently have 5 that will not recharge and thats with 3 of Brailles own battery chargers. Alternator kill them? Who knows.
Capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #5
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

I've run Odyssey batteries for years. Never an issue. I just replaced my one in the car because of age. Was in there 10 years and still checks out good.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Tried one a few yrs ago. My main concern was the charger was pretty delicate considering what our battery chargers go through and would not top off the battery between rounds
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Not all Lithium batteries are built the same. They cannot be put in the same circuit with a lead acid battery, therefore, do not "jump" a Lithium battery with a lead acid battery because you will end damaging both batteries. It can also short a battery cell, causing a thermal runaway and cause a fire.

Having been involved in the investigation of the Boeing 787 Lithium battery fires, my biggest concerns have been the damage to the case of the Lithium battery in the event of a crash. After the 787 issue, a case and battery penetration test under UL 1642, UL 2054 and IEC 62133 was adopted for Lithium batteries.

The good news is that some of the companies that make Lithium batteries for racing have implemented these tests to improve the survivability of a Lithium battery during a crash or accident. There may be more companies that are compliant, but I know that Braille and Go Lithium have been tested and are compliant with the case penetration test.

If you ever have to deal with a Lithium battery fire, the best fire extinguishing agent is water. Just flood the fire with water. Carbonated drinks also work great in putting out a Lithium battery fire. Also, Lithium batteries do not like the cold weather and avoid charging it during cold weather. When installed, keep it as far away from heat and combustible materials and try to reduce any vibration by installing it on dampening material like foam.

For those that still use AGM batteries, I recommend LifeLine batteries. They are made by a company that supplies batteries for both commercial and military aircraft. Their race batteries are built to the same standards as their line of aircraft batteries.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #8
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Not all Lithium batteries are built the same. They cannot be put in the same circuit with a lead acid battery, therefore, do not "jump" a Lithium battery with a lead acid battery because you will end damaging both batteries. It can also short a battery cell, causing a thermal runaway and cause a fire.
That's interesting and good info. Braille is an AGM, just for the record.
I have had similar experiences as these other guys...neglected them, killed them completely, and they always came back. No special charger, just a junky Schumacher.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Merolla View Post
That's interesting and good info. Braille is an AGM, just for the record.
I have had similar experiences as these other guys...neglected them, killed them completely, and they always came back. No special charger, just a junky Schumacher.
Paul,

The Braille GreenLite and Super16 racing batteries are Lithium.
The Boeing 787 battery fires were a big awakening to the Lithium battery industry. In the early days, Tesla also experienced some thermal runaway fires too. My concern is there are some people purchasing Chinese Lithium battery cells through Ebay and building their own to save money. The Lithium battery fires are very intense and hot and can spread very fast,
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote