HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default Musical Tastes

As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Brewer and Shipley, Pure Prairie League, Jackson Browne, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 06-10-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 829 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Musical Tastes

Lets see how this goes.
I honestly try to listen to some of the new stuff. Once in a while I really hear something that hits a nerve. But it's a one hit wonder, not that the band only had one hit, but I only liked one of their cuts. If it don't have a kick drum, lead guitar riff, and vocals that you can at least partly understand, I'm out. That's one reason I never liked Springsteen. He sounds like he has a mouth full of dog s**t. I'll start off with this one. It was 1976. I was asked to go to a Genesis concert that a buddy had tickets to. I'd had not heard of them and I didn't go. At the time, I was all rock and roll like most other guys in my town of Zanesville.... Aerosmith, Bad Company, Electric Light Company, Foghat were typical albums in my rack. At the time I was driving an 69 Camaro L-88 and trying to be Fonzy. I had the car, just not the girls to go along with it. Every Friday,
when I got off work, the kid I ran with and I would take our paychecks and head to the state liquor store. We would both buy a fifth, and then head to one of three record stores in town. We would buy a couple albums for " the weekend". Since co -worker Shane had mentioned Genesis, I picked up their newest release.This Genesis album I'm about to p[lay did not get played that weekend. I worked 2nd shift, and after getting home after midnight I put this album on for a try. It was late, and I had a couple young girls living next door that had to work the next day, so volume was moderate.What I heard changed my taste in music to this day. Track after track I thought to myself " what the hell did I just listen to". I later discovered I had stumbled on the beginnings of progressive rock. Have a listen. This is off of Wind and Weathering. I actually like the previous one best, Trick of the Tail

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Here's our forum "Rockstar" Brent Flynn with his band Flynnville Train from Ind.This ones a cover that they did in France,they also play their own stuff.There's a playlist on Youtube,tight band with good tunes!...gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Jeff Niceswanger

Do you guys remember when albums/songs were recorded in true stereo? Probably in the late 60's early seventy's. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys days .. It all kind of went away when surround sound systems hit and cars started having 20 speakers .LOL Here's an example,. You won't be able to here it on your phone if that's how your listening. (another reason its not around anymore) but if your on a desktop with two traditional speakers, listen to this song, and the 1st lead guitar in the left speaker and the 2nd lead in the right. Even the voices are clearly separated .... I miss the old stuff sometimes ....

Old 06-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Do you guys remember when albums/songs were recorded in true stereo? Probably in the late 60's early seventy's. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys days .. It all kind of went away when surround sound systems hit and cars started having 20 speakers .LOL Here's an example,. You won't be able to here it on your phone if that's how your listening. (another reason its not around anymore) but if your on a desktop with two traditional speakers, listen to this song, and the 1st lead guitar in the left speaker and the 2nd lead in the right. Even the voices are clearly separated .... I miss the old stuff sometimes ....

When I was going through boot camp, the Drill Instructors would put on this song and others for about 10 seconds and shut it off just to screw with us.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
When I was going through boot camp, the Drill Instructors would put on this song and others for about 10 seconds and shut it off just to screw with us.
Well that's cool. Took you back. Its amazing how we are wired to music, isn't it Eddie? Especially on songs that were not so popular as to become a classics, but in their day, you played the hell out of them. You won't hear one of those songs for years, maybe decades, but when you do, you,.... for just a few seconds are right back in that exact spot. You can remember so vividly. Goosebumps. The sights, smells, everything comes back just as it was. How do we do that ?
Old 06-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post

Remember the song, of course..I did know that Jay Ferguson formed the band after Spirit broke up...Lots of ways to go here..I got a Line on You, Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack... Let's do Thunder Island...live :

Old 06-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Jeff Niceswanger

Mark,I think we are gonna bore these guys with our off the wall bands. I hope not, maybe they will enjoy.I always went from mainstream, to unknown,then back to main stream.I loved finding bands that nobody heard of, way before they were found. Most never became big,one did, a little band out of Boston named Boston. I was listening to them 6 months before anybody in our town even knew who they were. There was a band from Steubenville, a small town not far from here in Zanesville that I KNEW was going to make it big. But they never did. They were so different at the time, and just good musicians and writers. You might have heard of them as you seem pretty deep. I'm gonna list the lyrics, as I always paid attention that part . Its about our world, years after we all kill one another, spoken from someone standing on the moon....
It's kind of funny now as they speak of killing one another with virus ...

Something's wrong from the moon, my friends
Something's wrong from the moon
As I look down at you my friends
Poor little man
You been run down
Poor little man
You're all run down
I can see right through your eyes
I can see right through your weary eyes
I can hear right through your cries
I can hear right through your drunken cries
When they spit, do you wash their floors
And pray that they don't spit no more
Or, rise up children, life goes on and on
Wise up children, life goes on and on

In the dark you cannot see
In the dark the victory is fear
Like a fool you follow fools
Like a fool you follow what you hear
Will they blow us all apart
Or kill us all with virus darts
Or, rise up children, life goes on and on

On the moon they're laughing hard
On the moon they're falling off their seats
From the moon we're comedy
From the moon we're really quite a treat
Shall we have another beer
And slobber through another year
Or rise up children, life goes on and on
Rise up children, life goes on and on
Wise up

Something's wrong from the moon my friend
As I look down at you my friends

Old 06-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Hoo Boy, this thread is so refreshing!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
As requested in another thread here, I'll reply to what genre of music I listen to.

Let's do this first ..Post a video of the kind of music you listen to while in the shop, or driving to and from the races. Give us a bit of background about your choice, and whether it's changed, etc.
Let's do only one video per post, per day, and give people a chance to catch up.
Thanks

I'll go first.
Lately , I've been listening to my Pandora Americana station. (John Prine, Emmylou Harris, Old Crow Medicine Show, soundtrack from Oh Brother Where art Thou, etc.)
But, in the larger picture, this all stems from the Country Rock scene, starting in about 1968 with The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo album..The first country album by a major rock act. Then on to Poco, Acoustic Dead, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt , CSNY, Manassas, Michael Nesmith's First National Band, Firefall..recently the younger Alt-Country guys such as Son Volt, with a bit of rock , and a country twinge...

Here's The Bottle Rockets, from Indy...and they sound a bit like Crazy Horse to me..

Mark,
If we get back to live concerts someday, when these guys come to your area, go see them. We go every year, they pack every place they go, and they play the smaller venues. Its a awesome show. You wont be disappointed. Its like walking back in a 1980's album.....you can't beat it for 50 bucks