HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #101
dannyboy

Liked 42 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: more news from NHRA

Let's keep politics out of this and stay on topic.
NHRA needs a major player in order to keep going unless they completely restructure.
If NHRA goes down it will have a major impact on the sport we all love.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #102
Terry Friar

Liked 16 Times in 2 Posts

Drastic changes are needed at NHRA, and it's often difficult for organizations to make drastic changes. I was at General Motors when they were sliding downhill in the early 2000's. Everyone at the working level knew drastic changes were needed, but the top level didn't want to admit failure. They just wanted to ride along collecting their salaries. It's hard to say "I'm not up to this, you should get rid of me." To start with, NHRA needs to move to the center of the country where the cost of operation is far less. IRP might be a good spot for a National Office. And at the same time they could jettison all of the dead weight hanging around Glendora. Indy is loaded with motorsports management talent.
Terry Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #103
Mike Rietow

Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

The only real mistake NHRA made was entertaining the idea their show was the reason for dwindling attendances at National events, by making the Pro Stock guys remove the hood scoops.

The show was never the problem, the problem was a dwindling middle class. The middle class makes up the majority of a thriving National drag racing organization. There's plenty of third world countries with no professional drag racing as testament, made up of rich and poor populaces.

Debt slaves working two part time minimum wage jobs ringing up chinese garbage, to pay for obama care, aren't gonna have the discretionary money in their pockets for local drag racing, much less making the National event in their state, as a spectator.

That's what happened to NHRA, the show has always been good. It's how the manufacturing midway became unprofitable for vendors. It's why local drag racing has been downsized, with much fewer races.

Last edited by Mike Rietow; 09-24-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Mike Rietow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #104
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,776 Times in 569 Posts

There is quite a bit of truth in your statements Mike!

LVMS has sliced their local programs to pieces.
It used to be one of the most active sportsman track
in our part of the country.

If next year shapes up the same for us in business and
racing opportunities........It will be our last year racing.

We are working twice as hard in our business for 1/2 the money!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 09-25-2020 at 12:45 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #105
4284spd
VIP Member

Liked 3,773 Times in 869 Posts

Another 2 things I think kills motorsports more than anything are the costs & youth. I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's. My HS was filled with old 60's-early 70's cars. Most males had really cool cars. Late 90's price started getting stupid again and these turned into collectors cars, even a 71 Malibu that's in good condition is out of reach for kids now. Youth couldn't afford no more so interests went else where. I finished my must in 2004 and spent every dime I had. 3 yrs later had kids so I haven't spent a dime since. Prices have almost doubled since.
NHRA's worst mistake has always been to rely on the Sportsman racers & ticket sales. They ignored how youth was no longer paying attention like 30 yrs ago. Instead of doing anything proactive to adjust the ways of the future, they just kept sticking it to the racers thinking you would always be there since they are the great NHRA. The prices just to go to a National event is stupid. I like most on here have no Pro interest. I can go to a 3 day Div race for the price of a 1 day pass at a National.
NHRA only pays attention to what lines there pockets with no look ahead to what their supporters go thru supporting them.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #106
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

All entertainment venues are in dire straights during this pandemic. Movie theaters, concerts, NFL. NBA, NCAA, NASCAR, NHRA have few paying customers. Amusement parks in the US have lost over $118,000,000 in revenue and layed off over 125,000 employees. (Majority Coke outlets)
I have a feeling when the NHRA/Coke lawsuit hits the California court system, with a $5 million deal, the courts will tell them to settle themselves. Who could have possibly predicted a pandemic? BTW, Disneyland is $196 per person, when open. So, family of 4 plus snacks is around $1,000 per day. Think I'll go to the beach.

Last edited by SStockDart; 09-24-2020 at 07:14 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #107
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Bob, I don't think NHRA missed the youth crowd, as they weren't going to be interested anyway. Look at the import drag racing scene, not very healthy. I've got two grandkids in their 20's that don't have their drivers licenses and don't want one. The youth of today have more important things to do like posting selfies and making goofy videos for YouTube or TiKTok.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #108
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykr View Post
Bob, I don't think NHRA missed the youth crowd, as they weren't going to be interested anyway. Look at the import drag racing scene, not very healthy. I've got two grandkids in their 20's that don't have their drivers licenses and don't want one. The youth of today have more important things to do like posting selfies and making goofy videos for YouTube or TiKTok.
The “Youth of Today” might not be interested in NHRA class racing. Possibly due to cost/ travel/ rule restrictions, but at my local track on any given night the lanes have a great showing of young drivers.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #109
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
The “Youth of Today” might not be interested in NHRA class racing. Possibly due to cost/ travel/ rule restrictions, but at my local track on any given night the lanes have a great showing of young drivers.
Agreed, same with some of my local tracks but most are with their street cars and I just don't see the progression that used to happen to race cars.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #110
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,727 Times in 418 Posts

We are running the NMCA Finals at Indy this weekend. There are lots of younger people here racing. The same can be said for the NMRA races and the Holley LS Fest. Our local track has a good amount of younger participants too.

The "In Thing" is power adders. Turbos and superchargers rule these days. Most people that I talk to can't see spending the money to run what we run when they can go much faster for less.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote