HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 245 Times in 99 Posts
Default question about starting a stocker

i am slowly building a 75 nova which i will convert it into a 77 so i can run the 305 2 barrel. should i handle all of the mechanical issues first then strip and paint the car??
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:37 PM   #2
L.Fite

Liked 347 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: question about starting a stocker

My opinion?
Yes...
L.Fite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:57 AM   #3
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,390 Times in 1,942 Posts

Get it to run quicker than the index first. Working over a 40 + fenders is much easer than a freshly painted one. Also you’ll know the light at the end of the tunnel is not the train. Wasn’t there a world champ that did it with a two barrel. Allen Peters I think
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:10 AM   #4
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Get it to run quicker than the index first. Working over a 40 + fenders is much easer than a freshly painted one. Also you’ll know the light at the end of the tunnel is not the train. Wasn’t there a world champ that did it with a two barrel. Allen Peters I think

Thanks for the replu Larry. We have never met, but my family roots run deep in Kentucky. I am so happy that your wife pulled through
Old 02-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,693 Times in 1,510 Posts

David, the 305/2V is a pretty good combo. You shouldn't have any problem getting it under the index. Just don't fall into the trap of getting carried away with it. Ya don't need "ported heads" and "big cams" with a 2V.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:21 AM   #6
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I stripped my 200,000 mile eBay car I started with inside and out. Cleaned it up as best as possible. Then removed all the allowed stuff, trimmed rear wheel openings as allowed for bigger tires ect. . But the only thing that got painted was the engine compartment and suspension stuff. I then put it back together and raced it a couple of times cracked bondo, dents, 20 year old scratched up paint and all. Not sure if it would have ever got painted. But some local HS kids needed a project for their auto body class. So I paid for the materials and they did all the work. It’s not a world of wheels car show paint job. But looks a lot better than it did. If you’re lucky enough to have a HS that still teaches auto shop/auto body. And you HATE body work and sanding as much as I do. I highly recommend asking them if they need a project.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
David, the 305/2V is a pretty good combo. You shouldn't have any problem getting it under the index. Just don't fall into the trap of getting carried away with it. Ya don't need "ported heads" and "big cams" with a 2V.

Thanks Billy. you were actually the person who inspired me to go with this combo from the dime rocket conversation.
Liked
Old 03-04-2023, 04:22 PM   #8
jmoneyfoot

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Let me know if you have any questions, I ran thus combo in a 78 buick skylark for a few years and now I'm putting it in a 77 omega. After 3yrs we got it to go a second under. Reach out if you gave any questions. Jake mellgren 952 261 3993 stk582
jmoneyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #9
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneyfoot View Post
Let me know if you have any questions, I ran thus combo in a 78 buick skylark for a few years and now I'm putting it in a 77 omega. After 3yrs we got it to go a second under. Reach out if you gave any questions. Jake mellgren 952 261 3993 stk582

will do thanks.

Your mailbox is full on your phone

Last edited by David Lee; 03-04-2023 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #10
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I stripped my 200,000 mile eBay car I started with inside and out. Cleaned it up as best as possible. Then removed all the allowed stuff, trimmed rear wheel openings as allowed for bigger tires ect. . But the only thing that got painted was the engine compartment and suspension stuff. I then put it back together and raced it a couple of times cracked bondo, dents, 20 year old scratched up paint and all. Not sure if it would have ever got painted. But some local HS kids needed a project for their auto body class. So I paid for the materials and they did all the work. It’s not a world of wheels car show paint job. But looks a lot better than it did. If you’re lucky enough to have a HS that still teaches auto shop/auto body. And you HATE body work and sanding as much as I do. I highly recommend asking them if they need a project.
The other positive about doing it through the local HS is stiring kids interest in auto racing. If you let the school know where and when you will be racing I bet you could get several of the little grease puppies walking through the pits and sitting on the stands as well.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote