HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #11
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: Are there any GM Techs out there?

We have always put a hose loop so that coolant flows as the engineers designed it. It is almost easier to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the thermostat. We have put are temp gauge fitting in the flat spot by the hose outlets. There is a bolt holding the tube from the thermostat to the water pump, push the tube into the pump there is a o ring on it the twist and remove. Tom
Old 12-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Tom, where did you put the "hose loop"?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

We just looped the heater hoses using a u shaped formed hose with one 3/4 the other end is 5/8. We have been running these motors for the last 8 years, 4 IMCA national dirt championships and 4 UPs. Been to tech [top 4] about 600 times, one guy told me I brought to much stock / super stock mentality to the class. Tom
Old 12-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Alright, I am pretty sure that I've got it. With the thermostat closed, coolant goes through the heater core and into the rear of the block and is circulated through the block and head by the water pump. When the thermostat opens, water goes into the LOWER radiator hose AND through the block and head. It goes through the radiator and into the UPPER radiator hose where it is circulated through the block and head until the thermostat closes . Clear as mud....
OK, I just got finished getting "verbally abused" by my engineer buddy about the laws of physics. So I'm going to start from scratch about how this thing flows.
The coolant goes FROM the rear of the block and through the heater core. It then flows over the hot side of the thermostat and into the water pump where it circulates through the block and head. When the coolant flowing through the heater core and over the hot side of the thermostat gets hot enough, it opens the thermostat letting cold coolant from the radiator flow past the COLD side of the thermostat into the water pump( the thermostat really IS backwards!). Suction from the pump pulling cold coolant from the radiator (lower hose) lets hot coolant go from the top of the head (upper hose) into the radiator...
This is as clear as mud!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #15
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

GM has standards for heater performance, so heating up coolant quickly so the heater provides heat to the passengers is a high priority . Included in that is they don't want to shock the block and heads with cold coolant ,so the special thermostat was developed . I believe its similar to the older LT1 style thermostat .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote