HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #1
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default 92 ford ranger

Decided for my first build I will be doing my old daily driver clunker. Now that my Jeep has its complete shakedown done, the ranger has been officially retired from daily driving. It’s a 1992 ford ranger, 2.3l with manual trans, 2wd.

My plan as it sits…

Motor and tranny will get pulled, bores honed and mains line honed. Will be converting to auto. I believe with the proper rebuild, the 7.5 rear end will hold up for a stocker build.

But first things first, I need to go through the steering and replace worn components and get steering nice and tight. While I’m in there, I will be replacing all bushings with urethane. I’m going to try to get this portion of the build done before the weather turns and gets into our wet season.

I have been eyeballing energy suspensions urethane bushing kits. If anyone has any tips on these twin I beam suspensions, I’m all ears. This is my first race car build so I know things are a bit different as far as setup from stock.
5.9magnumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default Re: 92 ford ranger

Why would you line hone the block if it’s in spec.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Corey, I just don’t think you realize what you are getting into. Even these dime rockets have to make enough power to run the index. For what it’s worth, before you spend ONE CENT ,….go to a divisional for a weekend and ask questions. I firmly believe a NEWBIE would be better off buying a proven race car than building it yourself…..I wish you nothing but success ….
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Buy my Olds Wagon. .3 under and half the price it took to build. Just had 3HP taken off. You can control the HP reduction as it is the only A Body platform car with 307
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #5
Doug Hoven

Liked 750 Times in 146 Posts

I'd say one disadvantage of a 7.5 vs an 8.8 is that it is getting hard to find more performance ratio gear sets for a 7.5. I would assume that if you go for a short 26" tire on this truck, it will need most likely a 5.13 gear or so, and even though I'm sure they are out there, it's much easier to find gear sets for an 8.8. My advice would be to make the swap early on. Find either a wrecked mustang and put spring perches on it, or out of a newer model ranger than what you have. On another note, there is an aftermarket ecu that popped up in the "classifieds" section of this forum. Even though its older technology, it's going to be much cheaper than a new aftermarket ecu. And I'm sure there are a few people on this forum that can help with the older Holley ecu's. I wish you the best of luck on this project, coming from a bit of a "newbie" myslef.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #6
otnipecar

Liked 64 Times in 29 Posts

Corey, along with the folks here, there are a lot of folks you can talk to around the Seattle area to get some ideas on what to do.

At Bremerton or Pacific on most weekends you could talk to other stock racers, Brian Seaburg/ Brian Thompson/ myself and many others.

Darrick Ellam has a Pinto wagon with the 2300/auto. He is around Vancover Wa I believe.

Myself and 2 others built a 1974 Pinto for W/SA years ago (2000/auto). Took a lot of years to get it to run under the index. Finally spent $1500 for a 7 inch converter to get it there.

Kelly Thomas used to run a Jeep truck with a straight 6.

There will be a Northwest Class Racers race in Woodburn Oregon this weekend. If you can come down there for one day stop by. Lots of folks there that you can gather info from.

As others have said it is almost better to buy an already built car.

Last edited by otnipecar; 09-15-2022 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add comment
otnipecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #7
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I have decided to sell the truck. Taking inventory of what parts I have laying around, I’m much better off with a good old Chevy. I haven’t checked Pacific raceways schedule, if there’s any racing today I’m going to head out and talk with people. Thanks for the advice everyone and helping me get steered in the right direction!
5.9magnumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9magnumjeep View Post
I have decided to sell the truck. Taking inventory of what parts I have laying around, I’m much better off with a good old Chevy.
Think so, huh ? What class, combination are you thinking of?
Old 09-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
Doug Hoven

Liked 750 Times in 146 Posts

I know driving a slow fwd car is not for everyone, but depending what condition your ranger is in, you could probably sell it, and use that money to buy a cavalier like in the "not for nothin'" build. Depending on how much you get for the ranger, you could probably at least buy a cavlier, an hp tuners setup, a set of tires, maybe a set of cams, and be decently under the index with a very dialable car. Just a thought.