HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts
Default Re: how was stock/super stock ran in the 60's and 70's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadtobethere View Post
...yup and then you waited for the Nat'l digger every week to see if your record took a hit, so you could find a 4 door/convertible/wagon or some other body to throw your stuff into to change to a better class......oh, how I remember
I can remember one of the local hitters used to have a pair of oversize swing sets behind his Sunoco station he used to change bodies on the '56 Chevy combo he ran. ...Just lifted off one body, and swapped out to another! ....Tom
Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
DK FRAZIER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom,

What engine are you running in the American ?????
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

I ran stock at Amarillo TX Dragway in the 60's. B/S and C/S and flat towed it with a tow bar and free wheel spindles on the rear hubs.
There they weighed you as you entered the race and tech was done there at the scales at the same time. No weight after that. We always weighed with the tool box in the trunk and the spare tires and a few shot bags to make weight. Of course those all came out when we hit the pits. I guess we were one of the cheaters but so was everyone else around the pits. That is where I picked the idea up.
We all had a good time and there was no brakes ever before the finish line for sure.
I miss those days.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslik View Post
that's what i thought but relying on MY memory, i wasn't sure.
so,why did it change?
I believe lack of participation.The same guys,capable of going fast,with the ability of
keeping within the .10 rule dominated.That's why we now run bracket style.

You're still aiming to go with the 290 stick in the American right?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those were the days. When I saw this post I thought man how I would like to be back racing in those days. The races were all based on the national record. You showed up at the track, put a "shoe polish" class on your windshield and waited for your class to be called. Whatever class you were in, you might be the only one in your class. If there was only one car in the class then maybe a B/S and a D/S would run with a head start given the the slower car based on there respective national record. Both cars were still class winners. All the class winners were called back at the end of the day for "Stock" and "Super Stock" Eliminator. Again run-offs were based on the national record for each class car. You could forget looking at the weather, figure out what can I run this time do I want to dial faster or slower, run the record and win. It was that simple. Run to fast you broke out. Run too fast the second time you have moved the national record.

Any East Coast racers remember the name Bobby Warren and Haywood Register from Clinton, North Carolina. Find yourself a few National Dragster and East Coast Drag Times, from those days and look at how many different national records Bobby held in different stock classes at any one time. If you have the papers look at the cars which held the record. Some times the same car possibly held as many as three or four record at any one time. Bobby was the National Record man in stock eliminator in those days.

When Modified Production class came along was some of the most fun class racing around. On a given week-end a track would have a Gas and Modified race. Man was that soom good racing in C/MP, D/MP, E/MP and F/MP. I can hear those 10,000 rpm, winding small blocks with tunnel ram, two four barrel Holley Carbs through Stahl headers right now while I am typing this.

And I don't know when or how it all changed. As I have said in other posts on here, we quit racing in 1973. At that time, we were Super Stock racing and a lot of match races. Local Super Stock racers were paid to fill in a Match race show. A track would book the big names to draw the crowd, Ronnie Sox, Dyno Don, Bill Jenkins, Don Carlton and local Super Stock cars were the fill-in for the show. These races would be a lead in to a two out of three match race between the "Big Boys." This spread to local tracks, they would have match races with the local fill-in cars being match up for a big Sunday afternoon race. These Super Stock races would be EVERY night of the week, up and down the East Coast. There was always a crowd of spectators, many of them with cameras that used the big large metal flashes with these big plug in flash bulbs.

We are back racing now and the thing I don't see is the spectators in the stands.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #16
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts

You ran off National records and were allowed a .10 under until the final and than you could go as far under as you needed to win. I won the Miami National Open December 1971 beating Roger England's SS/DA with my SS/GA Mustang winning with an 11.24 on a 11.45 record. If I remember correctly it was 1975 when NHRA went to the index system.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #17
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I believe lack of participation.The same guys,capable of going fast,with the ability of
keeping within the .10 rule dominated.That's why we now run bracket style.

You're still aiming to go with the 290 stick in the American right?

yep, 290/4speed
2bbl for now (so i don't have to put a cage in it yet)

btw, i need a 4bbl piston or two to send in to a mfgr and see if they'll make 'em and get them approved (by nhra)

Last edited by Tom keedle; 03-08-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #18
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Oops

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 03-08-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslik View Post
yep, 290/4speed
2bbl for now (so i don't have to put a cage in it yet)

btw, i need a 4bbl piston or two to send in to a mfgr and see if they'll make 'em and get them approved (by nhra)
Got one laying around.send me your address.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Got one laying around.send me your address.

pm'd ya..
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote