HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #41
Crisco

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Big $$$ S/SS Races as a Business Model..Viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
The answer is easy for many, location. Not ll racers can afford the time and money it takes travel over a 1000 miles to race. I think Ken's race is close to a perfect set up good money fair entry multiple races for one tow. But the location for anyone out of div 1 and maybe 3 is a very long tow. SGMP had the same issue just a different corner of the country. Not to mention another race 250 miles away on the same weekend.
There is no good solution for the location part. no matter where you hold the race there are people that will not be happy and therefor not attend.
While I do agree with you, I also disagree... look how many racers travel to Florida from Canada, Jersey, and all those other very Northern states..yeah they stay a month, but will still travel. I think if more racers would just get out of their "normal" routine on NHRA racing and try some other sanctioning/big money races, it would eventually give them more avenues to race... just my humble opinion.
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #42
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
While I do agree with you, I also disagree... look how many racers travel to Florida from Canada, Jersey, and all those other very Northern states..yeah they stay a month, but will still travel. I think if more racers would just get out of their "normal" routine on NHRA racing and try some other sanctioning/big money races, it would eventually give them more avenues to race... just my humble opinion.
You are right there are and will always be racers who have the time and money to travel. But I would guess if you took a poll on them a very small percentage are your every day 9-5 job people. They are all either retired, self employed or what we like to call Pro-Sportsmen racers that rely on winning or sponsors to stay on the road. And it is great for the people that can afford to do that. But I don't think there are enough of them to pay for putting on a high dollar race. I could be wrong have been many times. So you need to put it on in a location with a high local (by local I am thinking under 7 or 8 hour tow) car count to make it pay.
I am all for the racers supporting these races over the NHRA races. I haven't had my stocker out for some years But when I do it will be for a Midwest class-racer combo and not an NHRA event. Hopefully this year we will make a couple.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #43
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
How about combining classes stick and auto plus lumping three together
ABC@B weight DEF@E weight GHI @ H and so on = no limit to ballast and run them each heads up.

The winner of each Mini Eliminator could then
run off with each other winner on a dial in for a final winner.
John, I see your point but I'm thinking we would keep this simple and easy as possible.

Thursday.parking, .tech and possible T&T.

Friday..Two Q hits, then go right into a random paired gambler race, S/S combo, rather than having a consolation deal later on..Run a few rounds, then pair up for Main event , 10 grander .Run a few rounds here.

Saturday, finish Main event and Gambler.
Guys who want to run class...Take the pairings right off the original Q sheet. Nobody, including spectators have seen the cars run all out, weight out oil out ,timing up ,etc. yet. Lots of surprises for all..and all heads up!
I suppose you would have to have the combo classes. Handicapped, but still flat out. The fans should be able to understand that, with a bit of help from Unk or whoever.
Manufacturer's contingency could be posted here

Would this be enough racing to make the trip worthwhile?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #44
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

How about this for an event-within-the-event to get more spectator interest. Have a no breakout race where everyone races off of their index. Make the entry a separate deal so it's just those who feel they have a shot at it.

While I agree the bracket format is confusing to spectators I think it's only the dial-in/breakout combination that confuses them. They can easily understand that the guy with the little engine gets to leave first and the guy with the bigger engine chases. In fact it adds excitement in many cases. People always seems to like it when a 9 second car chases a 14 or 15 second FWD car. So basically just run it like one big combo race.

Seems to me that's just about how it was done way back when.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #45
4spdJohnny

Liked 119 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post
How about this for an event-within-the-event to get more spectator interest. Have a no breakout race where everyone races off of their index. Make the entry a separate deal so it's just those who feel they have a shot at it.

While I agree the bracket format is confusing to spectators I think it's only the dial-in/breakout combination that confuses them. They can easily understand that the guy with the little engine gets to leave first and the guy with the bigger engine chases. In fact it adds excitement in many cases. People always seems to like it when a 9 second car chases a 14 or 15 second FWD car. So basically just run it like one big combo race.

Seems to me that's just about how it was done way back when.

Dave, that was the idea behind the CIC race like they had at The Class Racer Revival. It was very cool and fun to watch. U lost any index under a second under. So like comp just with a faster under the index competition control trigger, very fun and exciting
4spdJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #46
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
How about combining classes stick and auto plus lumping three together
ABC@B weight DEF@E weight GHI @ H and so on = no limit to ballast and run them each heads up.

The winner of each Mini Eliminator could then
run off with each other winner on a dial in for a final winner.
I love this idea.

My proposal would be:
ABC @ B wt.
DEF @ E wt
GHI @ H wt
JKL @ K wt
MNO @ N wt
Combo for PQRTUVW
Combo for FWD cars
Combo for Factory Stock Cars unless theirs 4 cars in 1 class.
Combo for Stick Cars unless theirs 4 cars in 1 class.
Charge $300. Per car
Out of the $300., $200. Per car Goes towards class pot. (Example: 20 cars are in ABC
$200 x 20 cars= $4,000, winner gets 90% or $3600 R.U. Gets 10% or $400)
If theirs only 8 cars in your category than it’s 90% of $1600. Or $1440. to the winner.

Consolation Race will be for ALL 1st Rd losers in class.
Winner in this race gets: $3,000
R.U. $1000.
Semi $ 500.
1/4 finals $300.
3rd Rd Losers $100.

Just a thought.....
Old 04-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #47
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Another idea would be:
Class will be 1 race on 1 day.
Next Day All Cars Race.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #48
thomas r polk

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The point i was making why not have buy back so the promoter could make some money and put on more of this type of races
thomas r polk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #49

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Thomas the reason that bye back are not a good idea in stock/super stock. Let say you have a heads 1st round and you are behind by 2 tenths. Your opponent spin the tire 1st round and you win. Now he/she bye back and re runs you heads up. Now this time you lose. That would leave a bad felling.
1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #50
thomas r polk

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

what are the chances of this happen. The good out weights the bad
thomas r polk is offline   Reply With Quote