HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #21
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: Big $$$ S/SS Races as a Business Model..Viable?

Thank you Jim it was an honor, some very ,very, beautiful cars at this event !!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #22
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

I can say being on both ends of running a big .90 type event and the one year I did the Stock / SS race at Numidia.

Making it a profitable or breaking even type event depends on a lot of factors, if you find a sponsor that is willing to foot some of the cost so if you don't get the amount of cars you would like you don't lose your rear, there are also type of event insurance policies that can cover a loss, I have looked into before but, I'm sure someone else can elaborate. Last thing that also can help is finding a track that has a low rental cost, when you find a facility that needs to make $20,000 on a weekend to pay the bills you have to make the cost for the racers high to help cover that rental cost, I'm sure St. Louis wasn't cheap but, considering it was Easter weekend it might have been cheaper. Fans also can be a helper for the track, if you work out a contract with the track to say "Hey, cut us a deal on the rental and you keep all crew and spectators fees it could lower the rental, from what I saw in STL from the camera angle, it didn't look like many spectators.

I can attest from 2012 & 2013 the rental at Numidia was below $5,000 for the weekend which was covered by sponsors like Nitroplate and Autometer at my event but, as Ken said the DiMino family are racers at heart and understand the costs to run an event. I mean heck, even Pete and Kyle took a hard hit on the first Spring Flings at Bristol but, you see where they're at now and thriving on 4 events. I understand the buyback thing also but, seems a lot of people like what Ken did last year and what Tyler did this year with a separate event. One of the biggest complaints I always heard was if I beat someone in R1, I don't want to have to race them again in R2 or 3 or 4 and get beat by them but, the buyback round is also a way for a promotor or track to gain some extra cash with no payback if they filter them back into the mix. For the most part a lot of racers will pick the 2nd annual event over the first because it's like going to a restaurant and seeing something new on the menu but, you wait to see the other guy try it first, if it sucks, they don't waste their time but, if they rave about it (from what I heard about Ken's, Bo's, Jason, Dave & Tyler's events) the 2nd year should see an influx of cars.

Last edited by BKSG1198; 04-05-2021 at 07:06 PM.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #23
Gmirza

Liked 210 Times in 82 Posts

This is an interesting thread, I often wonder how the promoters of these events come up with the money to cover the payout. The big bracket races draw 300-500 cars and only have one class. Usually the entry fees are quite high or offer a weekend deal. You get one time run on the first day and then it’s all racing. Double entry and buy backs are common practice. I don’t think you will ever get that many stk/SS racers at an event, there are just many more bracket racers than class racers. I’m not a big supporter of buy backs, but they are an important part of this type of racing. It helps the track and promoter, and if you spent the money to get there, a second chance isn’t a bad thing. I think Ken has the right idea for class racers, an entry fee we are used to and a generous payout, along with a second chance race.
Gmirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #24
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Still looking for thoughts on how to make the promoters some profit for all their hard work...and trust me..It is a lot of work.
Moving the round money around and playing with the entry fees is not the answer.
Bringing in spectators is the key, in my opinion.
Take a look at The Southeast Gassers on Youtube (SEGA) before anyone disagrees with me
1/8th mile only
Stick shift only
Straight axles and wheelies required
Flat out racing
No ET on scoreboard.
Car names highly recommended
Racers do not pay entry..They are the show
They do race for money..It comes from the spectator gate.
...People drive halfway across the country to spectate and race
More new cars every year

Doesn't relate? Okay, what does?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Still looking for thoughts on how to make the promoters some profit for all their hard work...and trust me..It is a lot of work.
Moving the round money around and playing with the entry fees is not the answer.
Bringing in spectators is the key, in my opinion.
Take a look at The Southeast Gassers on Youtube (SEGA) before anyone disagrees with me
1/8th mile only
Stick shift only
Straight axles and wheelies required
Flat out racing
No ET on scoreboard.
Car names highly recommended
Racers do not pay entry..They are the show
They do race for money..It comes from the spectator gate.

Mark. I think it all comes down to the promoter selling his product to the locals that might be interested in seeing some really good racing and nice cars. The promoters need to promote. Does not matter if it is a high dollar event, bracket race or a divisional event. Getting some butts in the stands is the job of the promoter. If the race is on good weekend the racers will come. Neither of the two big money events that just happened had any spectators in the stands. Obviously it takes some effort for the promoter to do some sort of advertising to get the word out that there is a big event at the track to get some spectators there. I am not a promoter and I don't know how they can make that happen but it would be a game changer if the tracks could get some money at the gate from other sources besides the racer entry fees. Both of the recent big money events the entry fees were fair for the amount of money that we were racing for. I think that the final 4-6 cars that were still in at the end of each race did some sort of split so they all got a good payday but I don't know the specifics of that.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember when McDonald's and Burger King were a treat you had to drive for then years later no big deal since they were everywhere usually lined up down a heavily traveled road.

Being a sign maker my whole life our product is a retail business best on site marketing. Discovering this coming up we started to look at why the burger chains located where they did. Worked for a guy a couple years who before buying his business worked for the biggest most prestigious union shop working up to sales then covering their McDonald's work. First time I heard about demographic studies back in the 1980s said WTF is that of course with some time understood McDonald's looked at the population in a region and income plus age and family status since they market to kids in choosing locations. They chose locations years in advance even purchasing real estate leaving it sit for years until their projections developed or didn't.

The word was when McDonald's built a location Burger King would follow since their demographic studies were very effective their success was obvious. Local sign companies competed for their business.

Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ packed the stands for every race and show. The surrounding area was middle class America raising families with dads who liked cars. A farming region being developed into residential there were not a lot of entertainment choices drag racing was popular marketed on the radio in Philly and NYC markets. Dads liked the cars his kids liked the wild show and moms likes seeing their kids have a good time. Some moms even liked drag racing plus entry to the event food and souvenirs were not expensive. It was an affordable day out with the family with smiles on the way home. and talk of coming again.

From the 1990s on the region built up, cost to spectate the event with family skyrocketed most importantly CHOICES OF WHERE A FAMILY COULD SPEND THEIR DISCRETIONARY DOLLAR ON A FAMILY DAY OUT INCREASED. Not only were there more choices these came at the same or much lower cost AND kids enjoyed a day in a bounce house or video game hall MUCH more than walking around a dirty noisy drag strip. Dads had to give in By By RP National Events and Nights of Thrills.

The reason these drag race events don't draw crowds: Firstly there is no advance marketing budget to let locals know there is a big event with unique cars racing on the drag strip. Secondly there are other entertainment choices families are familiar with enjoy and visit regularly since they are permanent establishments. Thirdly the car culture does not rage as it did years ago not saying there is none there is but is smaller and not focused on drag racing. Yep the kids like to rip their cars and street race but they do not want to actually compete on the drag strip.

If you want people in the seats the event needs to take place in a demographic that has few or fewer entertainment choices. The event must be marketed to those who would attend well in advance so families can hear about it get excited and plan to attend. Of course this all costs $$.

With all the conversation among racers about this rarely is this point brought up for discussion.

New England Dragway comes to mind they pack the place Saturday evening of a points race featuring alcohol cars and a couple rounds of everyone else. Alcohol cars are not top fuel but are loud and fast people there like it.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #27
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Frank, Several good points here.

Mc Donalds never seems to miss, do they? They can't afford to even have the image of a slow location. That's why they get what they do for franchises.

It seems to me that a nat'l event track like St. Louis must have to charge a pretty penny for rental. Possibly why we saw the early date this time..
There are plenty of "lesser" 1/4 mi. tracks that that can hold 2-300 cars...Look at the Midwest guys' tracks.

Dates..When we rented WHMP, Phx. we had a real good date , I felt. ..By the time of the race, there were free car shows and other sports events and draws all over the city. We didn't lose any money but didn't make enough to warrant the time spent and the gamble.
That event cured me of trying to promote an event at a Supertrack, in a large city.

I think you can add a few related categories that will bring in a few spectators. If you guys remember, the USCN 1 had the Nostalgia Super Stock boys brought in ,and also Top Stock..I don't think many S/S racers will complain about that.
Give the N/SS guys a free tech card, but charge any of their crew or fans, a spectator fee. ..Let them collect their own pay out amongst themselves.

2 or 3 shots at making some $$$ are a great idea.. Better than NHRA, where you could be done and off the radar by Friday afternoon.

Keep the ideas coming..
Old 04-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #28
thomas r polk

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you put a number on your window and you can break out, you are bracket racing
thomas r polk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,594 Times in 1,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas r polk View Post
If you put a number on your window and you can break out, you are bracket racing
A very ASTUTE observation. Thank You for your contribution to this topic. I am sure the OP is thrilled with your insight.
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #30
Tex013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Frank put it the best in words what i have tried to say for several years .
We have the same problems here in Australia , but for sure a smaller base racers and spectaters and far less tracks .
People keep harping on that " we were bigger than V8 Supercars(Nascar sort of ) in the 80s/90s , we had massive crowds etc "
Losing beer and cigarette sponsors hurt promotion and that has never recovered
Too much choice now for family dollar . People are time poor so they will watch a 3 hour ball game but not all day at the track .
People need a month pre advertising to be able to organise their time and money to go to a "big" event .
If you want to make it easy for Joe Blow , make it a gold coin , $1 and $2 dollars here , entry for under 18s . Realistic pricing for adults - not 25/35/45 . You just might get a few more kids in with a dad/mum or 2 if they can see it as only 20 or 30 dollars for the whole crowd when they might only have 2 or 3 hours to spare to go watch .
At this point you are not relying on spectater money , racer entry covers track , so you are not "giving " income awat . Its not there to start with

Tex
Tex013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked