HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Big $$$ S/SS Races as a Business Model..Viable?

I raced at the SGMP Southern Sportsman big money race. I ran the 20K races but did not get in the 50k. We had a great time there and the event was well run. That race had over 160 cars each day. One of my friends spoke with Jason Line and he said they needed around 150 cars to make it work. So they hit that number. They also indicated that they weren't in it to turn a profit just to give back to the Sportsman racers. I hope the race in Illinois turned out OK as well. They did things a bit different with the two 5K combo races and running the big money 25K races over a two day period. At SGMP the races were done in 2 days. They were marathons though. For me the less time I have to take off of work the better.
We all need to do our best to support these type of events and local association events to give us different opportunities to race our classes
Big thanks to the promoters that put on these two events and I truly hope they can continue in the future. Most any event of this nature need to build up some history and grow each time the event is run.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDuncan View Post
Buybacks are an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not participate in a Stk/Ss race with buybacks.
I don't like or advocate for them either. Just saying they are a normal part of bracket racing to get the size of the pot and the purse up. Obviously the track or promoter gets a piece of the pie.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
I don't like or advocate for them either. Just saying they are a normal part of bracket racing to get the size of the pot and the purse up. Obviously the track or promoter gets a piece of the pie.
Don’t know where you race.
Buyback only happen in big bucks bracket races.
And most tracks down south do it on a regular bracket program
Not stock super stock combos.
Buybacks suck. You lost go home.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

A few thoughts...
Buyback will never fly..Neither will No heads up in the eliminator. S/SS want the races run in the traditional way.. Just the way it is.

As MJ mentioned, early Div 3 races are a big gamble, seeing they normally start in late April ., early May. ..Not criticizing these boys. They took an available date, which are few and far between at the larger tracks.

So far no one mentioned spectators....To me ,that's the key to a profit. If you pay out 90 % of the entry money ,and let the crew in for free, what does that leave you? ..Again, not being critical.
Bringing in spectators just might take more than just break out racing. Sorry to say, but my opinion.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
JWhalen58

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts

Totally agree about buybacks but the solution is very simple. Just have a consolation race for 1st or 2nd round losers.
JWhalen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #16
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
So, lots of folks are praising the last couple of S/SS races. They're saying they will attend next year..This is assuming there will be similar races next year, from the same promoters.
I made a few calls, and from what I hear, these two events didn't exactly end up in the plus zone, monetarily. If this info is incorrect , please advise me.

Now ,what are we going to do to keep them happening?

First, let me say that we're never going to replace NHRA as a sanctioning body. We need people who are ready, willing and able to go to 8-9 points meets , so they can race on the big stage with 60 other guys and gals. This way, we still have a rules structure, a semblance of a tech dept. and HP factors , to keep everything reined in.
These races need to be an alternative for those who won't or can't play the NHRA game to the max.

I've talked to a few friends with promotional experience, and they believe, as do I, that class racers generally don't care to spend 6-9 hundred in entry fees for a chance at 40-50 K.. 5,000 to win, for a couple hundred entry, as in Kenny's race, seems to be reasonable enough...or is it?

Of course , all opinions are welcome, but I'd like to hear from the promoters and / or track operators, as to what we could do, to get these races into the black.

Let's not regress into negativity like " too early" , "too cold", "holiday weekend" ,etc.
Rather than that , tell us when and where you WOULD schedule these events.

Thanks
Highlighted above may explain something.
The big entry fee for a big purse payout looks attractive, until one realizes there are no buybacks ( traditional with class racing )

Almost all big bucks bracket races have buyback options.

I prefer a lower entry fee and 2-5 K payout, but also since I drove all that way, and if I become a 1st round runner up, I'd like there to be some form of consolation race

JMO

Last edited by ALMACK; 04-05-2021 at 12:46 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #17
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
Highlighted above may explain something.
The big entry fee for a big purse payout looks attractive, until one realizes there are no buybacks ( traditional with class racing )

Almost all big bucks bracket races have buyback options.

I prefer a lower entry fee and 2-5 K payout, but also since I drove all that way, and if I become a 1st round runner up, I'd like there to be some form of consolation race

JMO
I guess you didn't watch the races last week. Each 25K race also had a 5K combo race as a so called "consolation race". There was a separate entry I think $100 for the 5K combo. The entry fee for any of these 20-25K races was about the same as a NHRA national event and the winner and RU made way more than any NHRA national event so the entry fee is not the issue. The race at SGMP was 3 20K races for $900 entry if you raced all 3 races. $325 per race if you raced one or two. The 50K race was $1000 but limited to 64 cars. It all boils down to if you want to race for big money you have to get off the porch and get there. If you do go you have to be on your game the round wins are real tough to get.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #18
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts

I watched CRR and was amazed with how well it was managed, the interviews during the down time were fantastic.....loved the intelligent questions and answers pertaining to Stock, Superstock, and comp! I myself would pay extra to have tech inspection to enforce all rules and class combinations, to keep a honest and legal playing field. Now if the border ever opens again I certainly will plan on attending next year. Best part was not having to endure one single throttle stop car or track oiler! Is there a place for class racing only big dollar events.......there is for me! Tom Nolan
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #19
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts

All I can tell you is from my experience at this last race. I will go to everyone I can get to!!

I hope this catches on, however they can make it work! These races are ran by people who race our classes they know what we like because they do it too and it shows . They treat you excellent! Listen to what you say, PAY YOU ON THE SPOT, showcase the baddest cars around ,do I need to go on, lol, seriously though, Bad to the bone in every aspect !!!!!

I will support these 100 percent and I'm not alone from who I've talked to.

Used to be I couldn't wait to go to a National event, the last one I went to will be the last one I went to. 2 time runs first round same day lol . No thanks . By the time the fans show up the sportsman racing is done.

Like I said bring these big dollar stock, super stock, races on. WHENS THE NEXT ONE!!

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 04-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #20
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING View Post
All I can tell you is from my experience at this last race. I will go to everyone I can get to!!

I hope this catches on, however they can make it work! These races are ran by people who race our classes they know what we like because they do it too and it shows . They treat you excellent! Listen to what you say, PAY YOU ON THE SPOT, do I need to go on, lol, seriously though, Bad to the bone in every aspect !!!!!

I will support these 100 percent and I'm not alone from who I've talked to.

Used to be I couldn't wait to go to a National event, the last one I went to will be the last one I went to. 2 time runs first round same day lol . No thanks . By the time the fans show up the sportsman racing is done.

Like I said bring these big dollar stock, super stock, races on. WHENS THE NEXT ONE!!
Congratulations on your best appearing award!
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked