HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Big $$$ S/SS Races as a Business Model..Viable?

So, lots of folks are praising the last couple of S/SS races. They're saying they will attend next year..This is assuming there will be similar races next year, from the same promoters.
I made a few calls, and from what I hear, these two events didn't exactly end up in the plus zone, monetarily. If this info is incorrect , please advise me.

Now ,what are we going to do to keep them happening?

First, let me say that we're never going to replace NHRA as a sanctioning body. We need people who are ready, willing and able to go to 8-9 points meets , so they can race on the big stage with 60 other guys and gals. This way, we still have a rules structure, a semblance of a tech dept. and HP factors , to keep everything reined in.
These races need to be an alternative for those who won't or can't play the NHRA game to the max.

I've talked to a few friends with promotional experience, and they believe, as do I, that class racers generally don't care to spend 6-9 hundred in entry fees for a chance at 40-50 K.. 5,000 to win, for a couple hundred entry, as in Kenny's race, seems to be reasonable enough...or is it?

Of course , all opinions are welcome, but I'd like to hear from the promoters and / or track operators, as to what we could do, to get these races into the black.

Let's not regress into negativity like " too early" , "too cold", "holiday weekend" ,etc.
Rather than that , tell us when and where you WOULD schedule these events.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Big $$$ S/SS Races as a Business Model..Viable?

Most first round losers in the big money bracket races buy back, and race each other with the winners going into second round. That sure helps with the size of the pot. How many are willing to do that?

Not saying it can't be done, purse vs. entry needs to be realistic. The money has to come from somewhere. Can't print it like the government.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 AM   #3
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

As a former track owner I can tell you the buy backs are all about what the track makes. Nothing else.
like them or hate them they can make a race be in the black instead of the red for a track owner.
Class racers may have to consider doing it for the sake of a place to race.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
JeremyDuncan

Liked 280 Times in 69 Posts

Buybacks are an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not participate in a Stk/Ss race with buybacks.
JeremyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,691 Times in 851 Posts

Easter weekend was a deal breaker for me and that was the first possible weekend that I could have made. I'm absolutely going to Ken's race and hoping the turnout will be so good that promoters will step up to offer more of these. That said, even though I don't like buy backs it may be a necessary evil to insure these races survive. I'm a little befuddled that the NMCA races don't get better turnouts so if these races do not survive I guess that means a Wally is the golden calf that ultimately killed class racing.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
As a former track owner I can tell you the buy backs are all about what the track makes. Nothing else.
like them or hate them they can make a race be in the black instead of the red for a track owner.
Class racers may have to consider doing it for the sake of a place to race.
Ken’s race offers a 2nd chance race for anyone who lost first round.
Capped off at 48 cars.
At a NHRA national event you’ve got to get to the 3rd round to get any money so
theirs no buy backs in their arena either.
As a former Stock elim racer I wouldn’t like buy backs, as a track owner if there in
the Red than maybe they have to raise the entry fee.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,592 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDuncan View Post
Buybacks are an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not participate in a Stk/Ss race with buybacks.
Sorry, but BUYBACKS are for ( ) races, this past weeks race at St. Louis was a stock/superstock race. Instead of BUYBACKS, there was a 5 Grand to win combo for a 100 dollar entry fee that all FIRST rd. losers could enter. Tyler B then opened up this race for ALL racers. I thought this was a WIN ...WIN... for the racer and the PROMOTER. BOTTOM LINE, these races must be PROFITABLE for the PROMOTERS ......Scheduling is crucial to the success, although you sure can’t please everyone....A track the caliber of Gateway only has a few OPEN dates to work with ....I had to laugh when Jeremy said buybacks were his dealbreaker .....Personally my dealbreaker is this....I don’t ENJOY racing when toboggans and gloves are involved ....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Mark,

I can not speak for the other promoters as I have had no contact with them. I think its great that they put these races on to give STK/SS more options. As for what we do, I plan on doing a Class Racer National every year, and hoping for two next season. Its not about the money for us, its about racing at a good event were the racer is treated with respect and appreciated for there support.

From what I saw and heard about these two races, the racers were treated great and had a good time. The promoters did and excellent job as far as I am concerned. Whether they have them next season, who knows, but I hope they do.

This biggest hurdle on promoting these races are finding a race date that does not interfere with NHRA scheduling. Another issue is finding a track that you can work with. Fortunately for us Numidia Dragway owned by the DiMino family is a great place to promote races. You could not ask for a better family to work with.

The racing we all do, whether it is NHRA, NMCA or promotion races like these, are mostly supported by our entries. With that being said, we all deserve to be treated as paying customers. And as the saying goes... the customer is always right.

So guys, CRN will be around for sometime. We want to give a better option for the racers and make them feel like they are the stars, and are treated as they should be.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

I like racing both nhra and stock super stock big bucks races
Sheeeet I will race anywhere. But when nhra makes it near impossible to enter a national event. I will take the BiG Bucks option every time
Nhra give no zero. Fs about sportsman racers.
I swore I would not stop nhra racing till I got a Big Wally
It ain’t easy to do it. Now it’s impossible with a grade 8 just to get into a race
Nhra national events are touture. Hurry up and wait. No wait till Sunday maybe Monday
I will go to any big $$ race this side of the Mississippi over a nhra event
Spend my $$ with organization the appreciates the customer base
I race because enjoy it National events aren’t about us.
Nhra just stealing our $$$ to pay the idiots in charge.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

It was fun to watch. A handful won some money. Others spent plenty to be there. If you're well off and retired or own a business no problem to enjoy. Unless you live in these very few big buck race areas. Its a rich man's sport. How many racers can afford to spend 2-3 grand to be there. Racers that traveled 2000 miles one way. Hats off to those few heroes. Goodyear tire and Sonoco fuel should be one of the sponsors too.

Paul
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote