HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Southern Stock and Super Stock Association

Old 05-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

Just wondering how the race at Gainesville went Saturday? Any rain?How were you treated? Car count? Who won etc. Your past President would like to know! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Dragrac419

Liked 184 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

Jim,

Weather was good and I think that the race was run very well. I wish we would have had more cars show up to support this race. we had 10 cars firs round.

I'd be curious why some did not make the race as Gainesville is a good track.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

I was one that did not make it there. Several reasons. One my car was still apart getting it ready for the race this weekend in Rockingham. Originally i was going to skip the Rockingham divisional and race the SSSSA race. Plans changed after I won the divisional race in Reynolds a couple of weeks ago. Here are a few reasons which I think might have contributed to the low car count. Bear in mind the SSSSA has been inactive for about 4 years before this race

1. The next weekend is a divisional race
2. High fuel cost
3. Late start time. Gates opening at 6pm makes it a night race.
4. The Orlando fiasco at the previous SSSSA race might have made some stay home too.
5. Many of the stock and SS racers in Florida have either quit or retired. Just not many cars left to fill the field.

I was told there will be no more SSSSA races. Thanks to all that helped put on the SSSSA events.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #4
Dragrac419

Mike,
Jim did tell us he spoke with you and the reason you did not make it and I understand. Congrats on the Reynolds win.

1. The next weekend is a divisional race (I agree this might have kept some people away)
2. High fuel cost (No denying this one as I'm not going to either Rockingham or Galot because of fuel prices)
3. Late start time. Gates opening at 6pm makes it a night race. (Not a big fan of racing during the night but it sure beats the heat of the day as the weather was great once the sun went down)
4. The Orlando fiasco at the previous SSSSA race might have made some stay home too. ( Did not make Orlando so can't comment)
5. Many of the stock and SS racers in Florida have either quit or retired. Just not many cars left to fill the field. (Agreed but there are still racers around that I thought might show up and did not)

I was told there will be no more SSSSA races. Thanks to all that helped put on the SSSSA events.( I really do not want to see it shut down and will talk with Jim and JT to see what we can do on keeping it going)

I will say that the race was run very smoothly and the Derekl Putnam did a great job of building us up on the PA. The track really seemed like they were glad to have us

If anyone has suggestions on what we can do better I'm sure they will listen as it would be nice to still have another place to race our style of racing.
Liked
Old 05-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
greatinspirational

Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

If it is true there will be no more races and no one wants to take it over I would be willing to do so. However to be up front this would be my approach

1- All races would be in Gainesville as part of a TNT. That worked very well in my opinion (Except I would try to set 1 Orlando race up the week BEFORE or AFTER the Orlando Divisional)

2- It would be a 7 race points series. Races loosely in the months of

January, February, March, April, May, September, October

3- Payout would be lower so I don’t assume as much risk,
but would payout MORE positions. It would start out

Win - $500
Runner Up - $250
Semi Finals - $100

Race entry fee the same and small membership fee to start building up an association piggy bank. At end of season car counts would be examined to see if a payout increase could realistically be accomplished.

4- STRONG social media campaign with race flyers as well as an SSSSA trailer to promote and circulate

5- Races will be video recorded. I’m not in a position at this point to live stream them yet. BUT they would be recorded and edited and used to promote car count and maybe try capturing sponsor ads

6- Races would be a regular qualifying against your index and ladder system like an ordinary race. NO none stock or super stock cars

- here may be the deal breaker, although I don’t see why it should be. I would STILL want to compete IN the races and don’t really see why that should be an issue of any sort. It’s not like I could manipulate the timing system. I don’t mind giving up my time to make it happen, but I wouldn’t be willing to give up my seat in order to do it. The race moved fast the other night but all that has to be ascertained is qualifying order and ladder. Shouldn’t be too bad if I have some help.

I don’t know. Just putting that out there. I don’t want this thing disappearing for years again. So let me know
greatinspirational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
KennyAnderson

Liked 243 Times in 86 Posts

We would have been there with 2 cars but we are on "tour" and were racing in Virginia last weekend. Reynolds, Charlotte, maybe Virginia for some??, and then Rockingham...... it's just a bust time of the year.

That being said..... for me and my kids only....... towing to Gainesville with these diesel prices for a single 1k to win race just doesn't make sense. Not to say we wouldn't do it occasionally...... but not on a regular basis right now. I would reconsider for a double tho.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-18-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: So, How Did The Gainesville Race Go?

I received word that Jim Woods resigned as President of the SSSSA on Saturday, May 14, 2022. I guess he found out the job isn't as easy as he thought it would be?

I was asked by several members to come back take the association over again. That can not happen. I just had my third spinal procedure two weeks ago and I'm not sure what my future will be.

Mike Clifford has offered to take over. I spoke with him at length the other night and I think he has the fortitude and drive to get through the problems that occur with the job. I hope all members will help him with building the Association up and moving on. There are a lot of brick walls and disappointments that go along with the job but the reward is worth all the trouble! I will be helping Mike all I can. As I have said many times in the past, it's your association. If you don't support it, you have no right to complain! Jim

Mike Clifford
(386)878-5384
rustydodge66@aol.com

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
Dragrac419

Jim asked if I would take it over Saturday but I do not have enough time to run it all. I will be glad to help Mike out anyway I can and not sure who greatinspratial is but seems like they might help out also.

I agree with Kenny with the double events as they seem to work pretty well in the Carolina association. We need to see if we can get on with the tracks bracket program. The TnT has too many cars for this to work out as for us. This worked in Gainesville only because it was slick tires only and they did not have 300 cars there test.

Look for good things to come in the future.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
greatinspirational

Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

I would gladly help. I can tell you from my experience at Orlando bracket races I don’t think it’s going to be viable. They have a pretty hefty car count. Really wish we could do something in Orlando week before or after the divisional. I attended my first Gainesville bracket race and the car count was much much lower. In fact it seems like car counts at Gainesville in general are very low. I thought it worked great with the TNT personally. The race moved very fast. The idea of doubles is a spectacular one if it can be achieved. Especially with gas prices being ludicrous. The association desperately needs a bigger social media presence and a lot more promoting in my opinion, or people won’t even know we are racing. I can make flyers for the races to help with that.

Fact is there is no easy way out. If we want it bad enough were just going to have to put in the work. Scheduling, money and low car counts in the beginning are going to be a hurdle but if we can work through that for a year or two with a solid consistent 5 or so race schedule, promote the races and in time it will build up.

I strongly think it should be run like a regular race with a qualifying order, ladder system, points program and limited to stock / super stock. The more serious we take it the more respect it will garner in my opinion. Anyway I’m around if needed 321-356-8607
greatinspirational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 183 Posts

My suggestion would be:
If you can have 3 double races maybe towards the Middle-Late Oct-Dec.
how would that sound to the racers ??

No nighttime racing.
No racing in the brutal heat.

Just my opinion.