HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Angry Crower enduramax lifter issues

I had 2 Enduramax lifters fail in a very short time. The bushings failed. I called Crower and ask them about the problem. This was their response.
These things are no good for Super Stockers because.
1. Wont support over 800 lbs over the nose spring pressures.
2. Can't use synthetic oil.
3. 0 weight oil is a no no.
4. No oil restrictor allowed
I ask why I couldn't find this information before purchase. They immediately threw their distributor under the buss. Claiming it was their fault . I couldn't find the information on the Crower website either.
But,for a bargain basement price of $400 they will put needle bearings in the lifters. I am very disappointed in their product and especially their service.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: Crower enduramax lifter issues

[QUOTE=Mike Graham;603385]I had 2 Enduramax lifters fail in a very short time. The bushings failed. I called Crower and ask them about the problem. This was their response.
I ask why I couldn't find this information before purchase. They immediately threw their distributor under the buss. Claiming it was their fault . I couldn't find the information on the Crower website either.
But,for a bargain basement price of $400 they will put needle bearings in the lifters. I am very disappointed in their product and especially their service.[/QUOTE

From what I have been reading on other web sites most engine builders are staying away from the bushing lifters. I had no issues with Crower needle bearing lifters when I was running them. I have Morel Needle bearing lifters in my engines and have been very happy with them as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Pearson;603401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
I had 2 Enduramax lifters fail in a very short time. The bushings failed. I called Crower and ask them about the problem. This was their response.
But,for a bargain basement price of $400 they will put needle bearings in the lifters. I am very disappointed in their product and especially their service.[/QUOTE

From what I have been reading on other web sites most engine builders are staying away from the bushing lifters. I had no issues with Crower needle bearing lifters when I was running them. I have Morel Needle bearing lifters in my engines and have been very happy with them as well.
Agree. Even the Jesel guys say that the bushing revolution is not necessarily something they support or recommend. Their position seems to be that bushings are just different, but not necessarily better than needle bearings.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I as far as bushing lifters are not a big believer in them, I have had many calls about failed bushing lifters. I machine a lot of blocks for over size lifters or install lifter bore bushings and larger cam tunnels which help reduce lifter pressure angle which no one ever thinks about. The more lift the smaller the base circle the more pressure angle.

Brad Miller from Bam lifters has developed and Bushing lifter using a steel bushing with a DLC coated pin which seems to working. I been seeing quite a few sets of these come through my shops and look like a great lifter. Brad has been around lifter for 23 years worked for Crane and knows his way around the roller lifter industry.

Are you restricted to cam journal size and lifter size ????

A good article on Lifter pressure angle.

https://performancetechnician.com/pd...E2EsUk50N0gscU
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

I bought my first set of Isky bushing lifters in 2014, and the same set is still in the engine about 800 runs later. There will either be a new or rebuilt set in there for next season.

I have Crower Enduramax .937 lifters in my 632, which I don't run very much but it probably has around 150 trouble-free runs over three seasons.

I always run 20w-50 dinosaur oil so I'm not pushing the envelope the way a S/SS car might, but I have been very happy with that style of lifter and will stay with them.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I believe that low oil viscosity and full synthetic have a lot to do with the wear ,and possibly the more aggressive ramps found in many SS cams .
I was not a believer in them and Tim Cole had sent me some Spintron videos that Comp had that showed them skidding on the opening ramp ,which made me sold on needle bearings.
Fast forward about 4 years and Comp entered the bushing market ,not wanting to be left out of a growing segment of the market.
Tim convinced me to try a set ,which now have well over 750 runs on them , and not on a mild bracket engine . my cam is .870" lift with seat pressures at 380# ,and nose pressures @ 1130# on stainless valves and runs just shy of 8000 rpm.
One thing I question about full syn ultra light weight oils is weather there is any zinc content . Bronze ,brass type bearings like zinc.

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 12-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote