Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #21
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: First Divisional or National event stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
I enjoyed reading the stories. I'll add mine.

It was 1982, when NHRA first allowed FWD cars into Stock. I read an article in one of the magazines on how they built a Daytona (?) for the Winternationals. They seemed to have no problem getting it under the index so I thought I would try. I was working at a Dodge dealer in north Jersey at the time, so I rented a Dodge Aries 4-door sedan off the lot.

I drove the car down to the Division 1 WCS opener at Englishtown. The total modifications to the car that I made on site were: apply stick on numbers and class (Y/SA), remove the hub caps and air cleaner assembly, insert a remote starter switch into the radiator fan wiring so that I could run it at will, and guesstimate advance the distributor.

The car was a dog. It was at least a second off the index. I knew I had no shot in eliminations, but I actually dialed down a tenth to try to throw off my opponents. I deliberately tried to line up against the quickest car I could find, and I succeeded. I had Dave LeBrun's A/SA Camaro in the other lane for Round One. I had hoped that the huge handicap would force him onto a foul, but no luck.

I kept the car for one more week before returning it, and raced it at Island where I made the money rounds in Street Eliminator. A couple of months later a magazine did an article on the variety of cars in Stock and a picture of the car from the WCS race was in it.
I wrote that article for Super Stock (lol).
Old 04-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #22
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
I wrote that article for Super Stock (lol).
You're right, Don. I remember that from the last time I posted this story.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #23
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

This is a little different, hope it is ok
1968 my cousin and I took off for Tulsa (Finals?) with no clue about anything
We drove a 57 2 door and slept behind a gas station in the car
Next morning at Denny's we asked someone if they knew where the drag strip was....he pointed to the sky and said follow the planes!

We got to the track: watched Jenkins, Strickler (?), Smothers Brothers, I think George Cureton among others, a great trip and memory
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #24
Dragrac419

Liked 176 Times in 77 Posts

I bracket raced when in high school and college and then sold everything to raise a family. Forward to August 2018 I buy my first stocker. I run some test and tunes and Orlando and Bradenton races to get some seat time as it has been over 30 years since I have been in a race car. The car is not fast but it runs under the index so I’m happy. Come February I’m ready for my first divisional race in Orlando. Take the car off the trailer and hear a funny sound but thought it might have just been a heim joint changing position. Go up to make my first qualifying run and the car spins at the leave. The car never spins so thought that was strange. I’m by myself so trying to figure out what happened. Check the car out can’t see anything wrong. Go up to make the next time shot and the same thing happens. This time when I get to the finish line the car pulls and I realize it is a broken axel. Try and find one so I could race on Saturday with no luck. Fix the car and go to SGMP for the next race and get to the semifinals. Really excited at this point. Go three rounds at Gainesville. So, I figure I will try my luck at a national event. Get into Atlanta and the car won’t run the number. Mess with fuel injection and take fuel out as I thought it was rich when it was really lean. (first time messing with EFI) Come to find out one of the injectors has a broken wire that drove me nuts for 5 months.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #25
Ryan Horensky

Liked 109 Times in 18 Posts

The Pennzoil Nationals at Virginia Motorsports Park when I was 18. I believe it rained Wednesday and Thursday. We had (1) qualifying run on Friday. I think the quickest run per class was designated the class winner. I wasn't the quickest run. I got my time slip and was invited to the tear down barn along with the (2) other youngest racers running stock at the event (Bryan Sorce and Gary Simpers Jr). In the lanes before first round, the security guard tried to throw me out of the lanes because he thought I was a spectator even though I had my credentials. I lost brake pressure and pushed through the staging beam 1st round for the loss. Definitely had the full National Event experience during that race.
Ryan Horensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #26
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

I'd already been mostly bracket racing since 73 and in Aug. of 81 a friend ends up with the x Bobby Warren Gumout Camaro. The previous owner had already entered the Indy Nats. and the new owner talks me into going and driving the car. So before I think much of any of this through were on our way, 5 guys in a 69 Chev wagon and an open trailer. We made it to the Speedway where it was all day to pass tech. Over to the strip, back then you had to go through Scrutinering ( or something like that ) to show your entry and ...... can you say nervous....? but I fluffed my way in. Every pass I had trouble and we couldn't figure it out. There was about 24 cars in SS/JA and back then we ran off the record that was 11.33. Boburka lines up with me, 5 yellow tree, no rt's, I jump out a car on him and of course the engine misfires and he drives by me, I go 11.31. Jim wins class and I think he won the elim. as well. Congrats. Drive thru the night to Cayuga Dragway, take the single point distributor out of the wagon, short shift it and it goes 11.08.
Hacksaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

First nhra D4 race I went to I pull into tech and Wesley walks up and says nice car wrong trim. Get it fixed before you come to another race.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #28
devo340

Liked 165 Times in 27 Posts

My Son's first race in a Stocker was in 2016 @ Tulsa divisional.
We had some idea as what to do, but after his first TT, he got his weight & fuel checked like he was supposed to.

The next couple of TT's, he didn't have anything checked, since he didn't improve anything.

A friend of ours that has ran Stock & Super Stock for years, came down to our pit & said "tell your Son to stop after each TT, the NHRA officials were running after him as he went by" LOL.
devo340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #29
nwebber

Liked 35 Times in 2 Posts

My first divisional was pretty cool. It was 2001 at Boise when all the fast A cars were going for the first in the nines. On my way to the track Thursday evening my old Suburban diesel throws a fan belt going up a pass in the snow and I limp it in to the first town with a motel and an auto parts store. I make it to the track about noon on Friday and Jerry Valentine techs me in, checks a lot of stuff but not the carb. I did not know you needed to run a choke plate but had an air cleaner on so it was not noticed. As I walked around I could see everyone had a choke plate so I figured I would just see If it would continue to go unnoticed. I get to race the Tiger car in time trials and am so excited I shake his hand in the scales. First round I get Robert Pond and was just excited to race another super fast A car. It was only about 45 degrees out and he spun. I get lucky and keep going rounds I was pitted down in the hole and noticed Steve Wann moved up closer to the lanes as the eliminations went on. I ended up racing Steve in the finals and he said to me as we are in the staging lanes "you need to get more of those". I had to ask him what he was talking about. It was contingency stickers. I thought it was just cool to see the Wally's up on the guard. I ended up winning the race. Took 17 years to win another.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #30
Justin Graham

Liked 228 Times in 38 Posts

MAN! I can't thank all you guys enough for the stories. I hope everyone reading has enjoyed it, and it's helped you get through this time, by remembering the good times and why we love these classes so much.

Thank you for the kudo Carl Battis. I hope to meet you at a D7 event soon.

So far, I've learned to know what parts are in your car, keep weight handy, and run some good fuel...of course, lady luck is always good too . The horn honking had me crying with laughter, I'm still cracking up as I'm typing.

I hope we can keep this going. Thank you again guys...really, really thank you!!!

Quite possibly the only member to REDLIGHT their join date

Last edited by Justin Graham; 04-03-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Justin Graham is offline   Reply With Quote