Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default GM axes performance division

So long SS, CTS-V
Cadillac’s world-beating high-performance V-series CTS and STS as well as the spirited Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS are no more — all casualties of GM’s restructuring to help slow the global automaker’s downward spiral.

On Wednesday, GM pulled the plug on its High Performance Vehicle Operations in Detroit which produced the aforementioned shining stars in the company’s lineup. Workers employed at the division were reassigned to other areas of the company.

“All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold,” GM spokesman Vince Muniga told the auto trade publication Automotive News. “The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs.” On Tuesday, the foundering automaker submitted its viability plan to the U.S. Treasury Department. That plan calls for as much as $30 billion from taxpayers by 2011; meanwhile, the company says it will cut 47,000 jobs, shutter five more of its plants in the U.S. and jettison Hummer, Saab and Saturn either by selling them off or phasing them out as it did Oldsmobile. What about Pontiac? Well, it won’t be John Z.’s Pontiac ever again, that’s for sure. The whole plan is here.
- By Mike McNessor
Hemmings online 02/19/2009
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: GM axes performance division

Good thing I didn't pre-order a new Camaro. This sucks. Just when they started making hi-po cars again. Maybe in 30 years a 2002 Z28 will be worth $$ like the 67-69s are now.
Hope you're happy, UAW!!!!!
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

That corp is so mis-managed they should go under. I just hate it for their workers and vendors.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy

After they ended the GMPP and AC Delco sponsorships of drag racing last year I decided I will no longer be supporting GM in any way.

In our family we have 4 Chevys. Other than the minivan stocker project, we don't own anything but GM products.

I will never buy a new GM vehicle ever , or use a GM part on any of my vehicles unless I have no other options. Not even an AC Delco spark plug or oil filter.

If I can ever afford a new truck it will be Ford, or even possibly Toyota.
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Bob Lasko

Liked 168 Times in 49 Posts

hears a link to the GM site. http://www.themotorreport.com.au/204...ev-heads-weep/
Bob Lasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Colin Wigle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
After they ended the GMPP and AC Delco sponsorships of drag racing last year I decided I will no longer be supporting GM in any way.

In our family we have 4 Chevys. Other than the minivan stocker project, we don't own anything but GM products.

I will never buy a new GM vehicle ever , or use a GM part on any of my vehicles unless I have no other options. Not even an AC Delco spark plug or oil filter.

Thats the way to support your brand through tough times!!!
Colin Wigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post

While you're at it hold your breath and jump up and down.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry Re: GM axes performance division

When things were good it was everybody's friend (the big three). But when things go bad the true colors come out and people with no knowledge whatsoever about the GM problem throw rocks. Paul-What do you know about the UAW? Why is this their fault? Ed-You might get your wish and when the others fall( and trust me they will) you will be stuck driving a generic Foreign piece of crap. Tow with one of these so called trucks from the Japanese automakers and let me know how it works out. Sean-Get a grip, the cutting back was a necessary evil to save a few dollars and last that I seen KJ was still sporting their colors. Am I wrong? Jeff-thanks for the post, the article is an interesting one and something that in my town has been known for months. Their is plenty of blame to go around in this deal, so research it and then blame all guilty parties. BREAKING NEWS-Toyota is laying off people in the United States! You gentlemen (not including Jeff Lee) have not a clue about what the deal is about this GM crisis and what the consequences could be if GM falls. I see it everyday in my community and it is sad. Hope you never have to go through what people in my area live with everyday. Spend some of your time online looking at the Detroit News or the Detroit Freepress or the local Detroit television news broadcasts to get a better idea of what the real deal is.

This is not opinion, but the brutal truth.....

Have a nice day,

Steve Williams
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well said Steve.
I own 13 GM vehicles and 2 -68 camaro race cars. I'll keep buying GM as long as there is a place to do so.
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have 2 new gm cars and an 05 truck,a 67 camaro and a 76 camaro race car..i too will support gm to the end ,they helped build the good ol u.s.a and i dont see the sky falling..if you keep up with the auto deal you mopar and ford folks know you are next..denny
denny harvey is offline   Reply With Quote