HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #21
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: Shut down distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Mine ran Stock Elim. off an index of 14.40 sec. We ran on a handicap system, in the 11 years I ran stock I only had to chase someone down maybe 5 or six times.Right Billy?
I think I've chased with the gremlin, but can't swear to it.....

got to say with the Gremlin, its always looking for the first turn off otherwise needs gas to make the turnaround most often.

some tracks, have no turnoff and are LONG.....toronto.....

Gremlin with me has enjoyed:

Numidia
Lebanon Valley
Maple Grove
Etown
Indy
toronto
Napierville
Maramichi
Epping
Charlotte
Atco
Hagerstown

Thats all I can recall at this moment

Eric

Last edited by Eric Merryfield; 11-18-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: forgot Hagerstown
Eric Merryfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #22
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts
Default Re: Shut down distances.

Quote:
Your talking about 300 ft plus or minus.I dont know about eating a sandwich but it could be the difference between turning or smacking the rail.
What track was it where Woodrow went into the swamp a while back?
Hey tough guy,you got that right.Thank God I've never had to prove it.Hope nobody ever has to.
That was Gainesville where Woodrow went in to the lake at the top end. As I remember the brake rod came out of the master cylinder and he had no brakes. The catch net was rotten and the car went right through it. Woodrow was lucky he didn’t drown. Gainesville is really long on shut down area.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #23
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
That was Gainesville where Woodrow went in to the lake at the top end. As I remember the brake rod came out of the master cylinder and he had no brakes. The catch net was rotten and the car went right through it. Woodrow was lucky he didn’t drown. Gainesville is really long on shut down area.
The same thing happened to a SS/AA car I crewed on a LONG time ago, back when Super Stockers footbraked. When the car touched down from the wheelstand the free swinging brake pedal bumped the driver's ankle, he recognized something was wrong and idled the rest of the way down the track. That made a big impression my young mind, and it's still something I pay attention to after all these years. I won't use the brake light switch for a pedal stop, and sometimes I have fabricated a "guide" to keep the rod aimed at the master cylinder.
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #24
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

My son and I have gone to a lot of different tracks on Hot Rod's Drag Week.

The only one he was a little uncomfortable at was the NHRA owned (at the time) track at Columbus. The car with him it it is about 3,500 lbs, only went about 120mph and had Willwoods on the front and stock drums on the back.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #25
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

Lebanon Valley when we raced there in the eighties was a challenge to stop a Max Wedge car with eight inch drum brakes!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #26
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Lebanon Valley when we raced there in the eighties was a challenge to stop a Max Wedge car with eight inch drum brakes!
Yes, but the brakes were light weren't they. I know what you mean, same six cylinder brakes on a SS/IA Roadrunner at Dallas (Ga) Dragway quarter mile. Before they changed to eighth mile. Had Hurst/Airheart single piston discs on an IHRA SS/AA....really scary!
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #27
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Anybody run at the old South Mtn. Raceway. I ran there in the 90's once on the way home as a sideline to a big AMC show at Gettysburg. Staging lanes held about 10 cars. You had to make a u turn to get into the water box then if I remember correctly it was uphill to do the burnout. After the finish line there was a banked (ala Nascar) 180 degree turn at the end of the very short shut down area. This was with my first Gremlin (bracket car going low 11's). That was a novelty to say the least.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:24 AM   #28
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Here you go, Ed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gremlin Ed Fernandez.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	52613  
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #29
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Anybody run at the old South Mtn. Raceway. I ran there in the 90's once on the way home as a sideline to a big AMC show at Gettysburg. Staging lanes held about 10 cars. You had to make a u turn to get into the water box then if I remember correctly it was uphill to do the burnout. After the finish line there was a banked (ala Nascar) 180 degree turn at the end of the very short shut down area. This was with my first Gremlin (bracket car going low 11's). That was a novelty to say the least.
Still pretty much the same at South Mountain. The turn into the water box isn't that bad, and it is slightly uphill to do the burnout...not Quaker City uphill though. I believe they've moved the starting line back, as I had no issues stopping my '64 Dodge there the other year.

On that topic...Sunset, outside of Mercer, PA. Basically South Mountain without guardrails. Back into the burnout box, 1/8th mile with about 700' of downhill shutdown, and a hairpin turn to the right at the end...first place I ever ran a car down the track.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #30
pmrphil

Liked 246 Times in 105 Posts

I ran Hudson, NC once, uphill to a cul-de-sac, then back down the hill to the pits. Interesting place. Oh, yeah, kinda short, too.