HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 10-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Wilson1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Using The Stop Down Track

Has anyone here use the TS down track in high gear? The reason I ask is because I am going to try a TS next year just so I can enter some Div races. I also want to use it as an option against 7.0 dragsters bracket racing. I used timer three last year to kill my starting line enhancer at the big end good results.

I have been told that my car is almost too close to the index to run a stop. I also understand that the fall back rpm’s is very important. 9.0 index with a 8.20 car. My converter falls back to 5900 at the shift, so my thoughts were to apply the stop then, give the car in the other lane a different look, and figure out the factor from there. I could still also use the other timer to drop on the big end. I have talked to a guy back east that said he had good results doing it that way.

Any thoughts?
Wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts
Default Re: Using The Stop Down Track

We run a Top - End Stop in S/Gas, had some issues in the beginning to find a close ratio. We have it now depending on weather it either comes on at 5.75 or 6.00 into the run and comes off at around 8 1/2 seconds into the run to give us enough pedal to play with the opponent upstairs.

It's kinda hard and can be tricky and most will say it doesn't work but, been to 4 finals in the past 5 years with the set-up so something much be correct
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
nickh

Liked 211 Times in 92 Posts

Alan claunch had some success ihra div 4 he would stop on top end. Run 9.90 @ 106 mph. Really caught opponets off guard. Think it was ok div race opponet blew front tire out trying to get slowed down.
Have always found it interesting concept
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Wilson1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also think it is an interesting concept. There are enough guys that have tried it and seemed to make it work well that I think I am going to try it next year.

I had some success this year using timer 3 on my K&R box to kill my throttle enhancer before the finish line for a spot drop. Once you get the time on figured out it is spot on for how much you want to drop. The only issue I had was once you decided to go with it you were stuck with that strategy. If you had the timer on and spun the tires, you were dead in the water. I fixed that by putting a switch on the wheel so I could turn it off and on from the wheel. Works great.

I think combining the two, will be a different approach that could work. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've run against BKSG and It definitely presents a different look. Similar to a spot dropper holding a bunch of numbers.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Wilson1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well my new stop is on it way. Since I purchased a K&R inline, because I wanted to keep my starting line enhancer, I found out that I now have to change my scoop tray bracket. Had to buy a Locar, then my MSD distributor with the big cap interfered with the scoop tray bracket so I had to dig out a old Mallory crank fire distributor which needed a new cap and rotor which were hard to find replacement parts for. What an ordeal and the Stop isn't here yet. You just have to love race cars.... LOL..

In thinking about this, since I use a Grid, and retard timing at launch and at the shift, I really can't use the stop and bracket race on the same Grid program. I don't want to be loading a new program all the time so I think I will turn on the stop very early in second gear.

My question for anyone that has done this is if I turn on the stop about the same time as I shift should the stop timer be set for a couple tenths after the shift timer? I know it takes a bit for the cylinder to release the gas. Any ideas where to start?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I was wondering if this could be an option for a small tire or radial tire car to run S/G - S/ST? I was discussing this the other day with the tire guys and the concern of running a stop was the car coming off of the stop and the radial not being able to hold, so I thought the down tack or not take as much RPM away may be a better option. My new car is taking a bit longer than I had hoped so I want to run my small tire car this season instead of having to sit out yet again. Any advise? Car will run high 8.8's as it sits, dont really want to try to stop it enough to run S/St, but thought S/G may be ok. Otherwise I am flat out and hope for a good run every time to try S/C in a small tire door car.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
J&S Racing

Liked 287 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I was wondering if this could be an option for a small tire or radial tire car to run S/G - S/ST? I was discussing this the other day with the tire guys and the concern of running a stop was the car coming off of the stop and the radial not being able to hold, so I thought the down tack or not take as much RPM away may be a better option. My new car is taking a bit longer than I had hoped so I want to run my small tire car this season instead of having to sit out yet again. Any advise? Car will run high 8.8's as it sits, dont really want to try to stop it enough to run S/St, but thought S/G may be ok. Otherwise I am flat out and hope for a good run every time to try S/C in a small tire door car.
If you run a air powered stop the speeds on/off can be regulated.

On our 185 mph s/c rail we have the stop come off slow as possible and never have a issue loosing traction.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Tim Nicholson has been doing quite well this season in S/G stopping the top end. A lot of 9.90`s @ 104. I love it!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Tim Nicholson has been doing quite well this season in S/G stopping the top end. A lot of 9.90`s @ 104. I love it!
To top it off he also uses a manual shifted 4 speed lenco.
He does well at all the ET races also.
He has fun with all of it.
My 2 cents
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote