HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #91
Chevy454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Copo Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
....Chevy454,,,are you the famous 'Bob Hamilton' of "Red Alert" fame.
I lived 20 minutes north of 'Byrne Brothers', Virginia Road, White Plains,,,
right off the Bronx River Parkway.....Saw lots of nice machines on that lot..they also sponsored the 'Lagana Brothers' white 68' B/MP Camaro..
They also had quite a few 69 non-SS 350/255HP basic cars for the
J/S and K/S,,,junior stock racers,,which was the hot combination back then..
Paul
No sir...Bob has passed on...we are just lucky enough to own the car, which is still in amazing condition. It's my dad's favorite toy at the moment...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #92
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Chevy454,
Raced at Dover Drag Strip at that time..Saw the 'Red Alert' Chevelle
in SS/DA...at some big S/S $$ Events. Nice car...
Unfortunately, did not get to see Bob in the 'Long Gone' A/FX injected Mustang in 66'/67' era...Bob liked Lane 2,,spectator side..
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #93
Al Loyrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo69 View Post
Mike, Does Ed Stinn Chevrolet ring a bell? That's where my car came from. Ed ordered most of his cars with a few of the same options. I've found most to be "double copo's, ordered with two copo packages. the second package was called the "sports car package" which added a bigger front sway bar, 15" Rally wheels, and a 140mph speedometer. Maybe remember speedometer?
I remember that car! Gary, gave me a ride in that car back when he first got it.
Al Loyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #94
Mike Keener

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

Al,

Are you serious? Gary Fabian took you for a ride in it? Gary's a great guy and an old friend but from what Rick told me about it Gary was scared to death of that thing!

By the way did he tell you about spinning it around across some guys lawn or did that happen after your ride!?

Those were the good ol days..huh?

MK
Mike Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #95
Al Loyrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Copo Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keener View Post
Al,

Are you serious? Gary Fabian took you for a ride in it? Gary's a great guy and an old friend but from what Rick told me about it Gary was scared to death of that thing!

By the way did he tell you about spinning it around across some guys lawn or did that happen after your ride!?

Those were the good ol days..huh?

MK
He didn't mention the lawn ride, I was in high school but I had a job after school at a department store named Zayre's in Brookpark. He used to stop buy the auto repair section to visit a friend that worked there. I talked him into giving me a ride, industrial area nearby. I think he had slicks on it by then. Yes, those were the days back then. FYI my name is Jeff, my user name is what powers my 69 Camaro!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #96
Al Loyrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The COPO 9560 cars were first built around Jan. of 69. tThe first 50 cars went tfred Gibb in the Chicago area without invoices. The invoices didn't arrived until Febuary. When Gibb saw the price of these cars he convinced Chevy to take back 20 cars which Chevy redistributed to other dealers. They were all base models except for a Canadian "show" car that was heavyly optioned(RS included). The Lemans blue car that was delivered to an Arkansas dealer was converted to an RS with 427 emblems by the dealer by the request of the new owner. Spoilers were optional. Transistorized ignition was standard as was 4.10 gears (4.56 optional).
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #97
Chevy454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Loyrat View Post
The COPO 9560 cars were first built around Jan. of 69. tThe first 50 cars went tfred Gibb in the Chicago area without invoices. The invoices didn't arrived until Febuary. When Gibb saw the price of these cars he convinced Chevy to take back 20 cars which Chevy redistributed to other dealers. They were all base models except for a Canadian "show" car that was heavyly optioned(RS included). The Lemans blue car that was delivered to an Arkansas dealer was converted to an RS with 427 emblems by the dealer by the request of the new owner. Spoilers were optional. Transistorized ignition was standard as was 4.10 gears (4.56 optional).
Actually, a couple were built earlier than that, as 2 dusk blue cars (#1 and #2, obviously) were delivered to Fred Gibb Chevrolet on Dec. 31, 1968, and #1 saw it's first track action at Phoenix at an AHRA event 3 weeks later (where it failed tech for the wrong carb, and and the correct carb was flown out). And 37 of the first 50 were actually returned/redistributed. Also, 2 of the ZL1s did indeed receive the Z22 Rally Sport option from the factory... #55 (which is the well known Whit Chevrolet car out of Fayetteville, AR, which received special emblems/stripes while at the dealership), and #68 which was sold out of an Indiana dealer.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #98
Al Loyrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a great book with VIN # , options on each car , dealers that ordered these cars but it's stuffed away in storage somewhere.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #99
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Al "L"
Don't go in the attic, and start rummaging around. You can get all that info on the CRG report. Amazing list of everything, including COPO 9560
deliveries to dealers. With first destination Fred Gibb Chevrolet, then the purchasing dealer.
I think the correct carb is/was a Holley 850cfm.
One of our northeast dealers, Scuncio Chevrolet, Greenville, Rhode Island got a #9560, ZL-1, Fathom Green, with an M-22 trans and D80 spoiler option..
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #100
Al Loyrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Al "L"
Don't go in the attic, and start rummaging around. You can get all that info on the CRG report. Amazing list of everything, including COPO 9560
deliveries to dealers. With first destination Fred Gibb Chevrolet, then the purchasing dealer.
I think the correct carb is/was a Holley 850cfm.
One of our northeast dealers, Scuncio Chevrolet, Greenville, Rhode Island got a #9560, ZL-1, Fathom Green, with an M-22 trans and D80 spoiler option..
Paul
I wish it was in the attic, it's in a storage facility buried in some box. So if I punch in "CRG report" it should come up? Ido remember the carb "recall" on the 9560 cars. The correct Holley is a 4296 list # which is still made by Holley. Double pumper mech. secondarys. My Camaro has one on it.
Liked