HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #181
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick winchester View Post
Bob also won SuperStock 5 years in a row when the Fall Classic was held at Edgewater.
Would LOVE to have some online records of those wins to post here !
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #182
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

This was not a quick car. But it did run below it's index. Jay Cason was the driver.

The reason I'm posting it is because I've mentioned that I have seen very few 1967 GTO Stockers or Super Stockers listed. In fact, this may be the very 1st '67 SS GTO I've seen listed.

Don't know what it's best ET was. But it ran a 10.64 at Pomona. Assume it used the same engine combo as Randi Lyn's '67 Bird Stocker. And I know she has run some 10:30's, in Stock legal form. So, I see no reason why a Super Stock version of her engine would not run low 10's in a '67 GTO.

Don't really expect anybody to build one tho. That body style is not exactly aerodynamic.

Anyhow, does anybody have any pics or other info about this car, or any '67 SS GTO ?

He qualified below his index at Pomona, Phoenix, & Sonoma, in 1998.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=30914

Last edited by oldskool; 01-12-2020 at 07:17 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #183
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

OK, I've listed lots of Stocker wins & other race results.

So, I'll start with the DRC records from 1998, lookin for Pontiac SS wins & other results.

I assume these will be very scattered, since there have been far fewer Pontiacs running SS, than stock. Have already mentioned the US Nats. So, I won't include any of those results, again.

If ya'll see a Pontiac powered GT car qualified above those I mention, on a Q-list, or in elimination results, please let me know. I don't know all the GT cars that had Pontiac power, especially if they were racing more than 5 years ago.

At the '98 Winter Nats, Don Kennedy was #17, with his 3rd gen GT Bird, & Keri Angeles was #20, with her '69 Bird.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At Phoenix, Don was #15, & Sal Biondo was #16, in an '82 Bird. So, was that the Pontiac powered Phil Monteith 3rd gen Hatari Bird ?

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At this Houston race, J.B. Clegg was #42 on the list. The only reason I mention it, is because that is suppose to the former H-O Racing Specialties nat record holder '74 SD455 T/A.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At this Rockingham race, Johnny Duncan is #4 @ - 1.022, in an '82 Bird. So, was it Pontiac powered ?

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

OK, on this Farm Nats list is what I assume is the 400 Pontiac powered 4th gen Hatari car, driven by Peter Biondo. The Vic Santos 3rd gen is also on the list, along with Ken Shawver's '78 T/A.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At this TX race, J.B. turned a 10.747. I noticed that SS/KA had an index which was slightly quicker that the nat record the H-O car had set, in '77.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

Carroll Warling was #6, at the Mile-High Nats.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At Sonoma, looks like Keri Angels & Jay Cason had the only Pontiac powered SS cars there, UNLESS Bob Bales '92 Firehawk had Pontiac power. I think you guys said that only his '73 SD455 Bird was Pontiac powered, correct ?

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

Jay Cason got RU ! Hey, that ain't bad. One of the slowest qualifiers was RU to the #1 qualifier.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At the Keystone Nats, Ken Shawver, Peter Biondo, & Vic Santos got their class wins.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

At the Houston race, J.B. ran the '74 Bird in SS/JA, & went 10.528.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1998#indextop

Well, in '98, there were some Pontiac powered SS cars that ran good enuff to win races. But, I didn't find any winners. Jay Cason came close, with his '67 GTO.

While lookin for pics of J.B.'s car when it ran an auto trans, I found this pic. It shows a '73 GP that John Clegg ran. It was a feature car in the H-O newsletter. Article says it could run a 400, a D-port 455, or the round port SD455. Although the SD455 never came in anything but a '73-'74 Bird, apparently, NHRA has always allowed it, in other body styles, also.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...px?ENGINE=2080
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clegg GP in H-O Paper .jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	53407  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-13-2020 at 10:29 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #184
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

1999

At the Winter Nats, Bob Bales '92 Firehawk is shown in GT/AA. So, I assume it either had a big Pontiac, or a BBC engine. Can anybody settle this, for sure ? Did this car have Pontiac power, or not ?

Also on the list is Keri Angeles, and Art Peterson with his '69 GTO, as well as Bruce with his 3rd gen.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Don Kennedy was RU at this Stock/SS combo race in Tucson.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the nat event in AZ, Don was #14 @ -.869. Keri was right behind @ -.866. Ryan Bales is listed driving the Firehawk, & Bruce is #40.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Houston, J.B. Was #12 @ -.787.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the gators, Peter was #37 @ -.944. Ken was#51 @ -.877.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Back to Houston, J.B. was #27 @ -.838.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Up to Ennis, & J.B. was #10 @ -.737.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the Pennzoil Nats, Peter was #16 @ -.965. Sal Biondo was driving a '92 GT/IA Bird. Pontiac power ?. Sal Piacentini listed with a SS/MA '77 Bird.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Peter won it !

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Englishtown, Peter was #12@ - 1.068.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Sal Biondo beat Peter in the qtr final, & won the race. So, somebody tell me if Sal's car had Pontiac power. If not, I'll edit this out.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

I think the pics below say that Sal Biondo won his 1st Nat event, in a 2nd gen T/A, at Englishtown, in 1990. I think that's Phil Monteith standing beside Sal. I assume that Phil is responsible for most, if not all the Pontiac power the Biondo clan raced. Not sure. Anybody know how the Biondo family got hooked up with Phil ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sal90etown.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	53409   Click image for larger version

Name:	sal_90.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	53410  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-14-2020 at 07:09 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #185
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

1999 contd.

At the Pontiac Excitement Nats, Peter was #15 @ -.795.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Stacy McCarty was on the Q-list at the Craftsman Nats.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Peter won this FMDRS series event, in N.Y.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Bristol, Peter was #1 @ -.987.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Peter also won this race. Hey, if you're #1 AND win, that's a pretty good race, huh ?

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Sonoma, Keri was #18 @ -.777.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the Keystone Nats, Peter was #12 @ -.953. Ken Shawver was #30 @ -.807.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Peter won this one !

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the Finals, Keri was #24 @ -.783.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Well, looks like this was the year Peter Biondo emerged as a Pontiac powered SS winner.

The pic below shows Peter in the winners circle for winning a FMDRS race in VA, in '99.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pete_win_va_1999.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	53408  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-14-2020 at 06:58 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #186
Billy Nees
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: On a hilltop in Pa.
Posts: 2,645
Likes: 374
Liked 1,145 Times in 335 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
While lookin for pics of J.B.'s car when it ran an auto trans, I found this pic. It shows a '73 GP that John Clegg ran. It was a feature car in the H-O newsletter. Article says it could run a 400, a D-port 455, or the round port SD455. Although the SD455 never came in anything but a '73-'74 Bird, apparently, NHRA has always allowed it, in other body styles, also.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...px?ENGINE=2080
Phil Szupka, an east coast "hitter" but seemingly forgotten in this Pontiac history lesson, had a 73 GP, 455SD that was bought new at the dealership that he was working in at the time. VERY rare car.
__________________
Billy Nees 1188 STK
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #187
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Phil Szupka, an east coast "hitter" but seemingly forgotten in this Pontiac history lesson, had a 73 GP, 455SD that was bought new at the dealership that he was working in at the time. VERY rare car.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but that is just a name I'm not familiar with. Would love for someone to post info about his Pontiacs & their performance & wins.

I've always read that the SD455 engines were only available in '73 & '74 Birds. I especially remember that a car mag had already pronounced the SD455 GTO as their Car of the Year, on the cover. But, the GTO was supposedly never offered with the SD455 as an option. But, if a GP came off the assembly line with one, I suppose it's not unreasonable to think that a Lemans, GA, or GTO may have, also. As mentioned, NHRA allows the SD455 in several body styles.

"...The legendary 310-horse SD 455 engine was planned as an option for the Grand Am and GTO but remained exclusive to the Trans Am. A Grand Am in Pontiac’s official promotional photos, painted Desert Sand, showed SD-455 callouts on the front fenders..."

As most know, the 310hp version was never released. But the 290hp version came in both T/A & Formula models. So, IF somebody did buy a factory produced SD455 car, that was not a Firebird, it is indeed a VERY rare car, as mentioned.

Posted in a Hot Rod mag article:

"...Restricted Duty
The SD-455 was originally scheduled to be offered in several Pontiac models, including the Grand Prix and Le Mans/GTO. The EPA-driven production delays squashed those plans, as Pontiac focused on certifying the engine solely for the F-Body platform. That didn’t stop one magazine, however, from prematurely declaring the Super Duty–powered 1973 GTO its Car of the Year..."

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...ar-that-wasnt/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SD455 GTO .jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	53411  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-14-2020 at 09:02 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #188
Mike Jones
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 717
Likes: 392
Liked 200 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
1999
I assume that Phil is responsible for most, if not all the Pontiac power the Biondo clan raced. Not sure. Anybody know how the Biondo family got hooked up with Phil ?
Phil and Sam Biondo, the boys` father, both raced Pontiacs, in a Chevrolet world. I met Phil in 1978 and he ate, slept and drank Pontiacs.
MJ
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #189
oldskool
Senior Member
 
oldskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Land of Bayous, Boudin & Crawfish
Posts: 725
Likes: 65
Liked 253 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

"...Phil Szupka, an east coast "hitter" but seemingly forgotten in this Pontiac history lesson..."

Since his name has been broght up twice in the thread, I decided to Google him & see what turned up.

Seems he was voted into the div 1 hall of fame. Also said he raced Pontiacs til he quit driving.

https://classracer.com/magazine/?p=4268

From the small pic in that article, it appears to be a '74 or earlier T/A. Can't see the front or the rear. Has "Pontiaction" on the door.

OK, here's more info. This pdf of an H-O newsletter not only has the Clegg SD455 GP on the cover, but, on page 5, also mentions that Phil beat Fred Moore for the SS win at a big race at Maple Grove. Says Phil's car was the former Herslow & Morlock Bird.

http://missiongarage.com/photogaller...t-nov-1977.pdf

I don't suppose there are many online records of his driving accomplishments. At least I haven't found much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil Szupka .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	53412  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-14-2020 at 10:03 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #190
RacerET
Junior Member
 
RacerET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bedford Hills NY
Posts: 19
Likes: 6
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
1999

At the Winter Nats, Bob Bales '92 Firehawk is shown in GT/AA. So, I assume it either had a big Pontiac, or a BBC engine. Can anybody settle this, for sure ? Did this car have Pontiac power, or not ?

Also on the list is Keri Angeles, and Art Peterson with his '69 GTO, as well as Bruce with his 3rd gen.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Don Kennedy was RU at this Stock/SS combo race in Tucson.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the nat event in AZ, Don was #14 @ -.869. Keri was right behind @ -.866. Ryan Bales is listed driving the Firehawk, & Bruce is #40.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Houston, J.B. Was #12 @ -.787.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the gators, Peter was #37 @ -.944. Ken was#51 @ -.877.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Back to Houston, J.B. was #27 @ -.838.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Up to Ennis, & J.B. was #10 @ -.737.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At the Pennzoil Nats, Peter was #16 @ -.965. Sal Biondo was driving a '92 GT/IA Bird. Pontiac power ?. Sal Piacentini listed with a SS/MA '77 Bird.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Peter won it !

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

At Englishtown, Peter was #12@ - 1.068.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

Sal Biondo beat Peter in the qtr final, & won the race. So, somebody tell me if Sal's car had Pontiac power. If not, I'll edit this out.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r1999#indextop

I think the pics below say that Sal Biondo won his 1st Nat event, in a 2nd gen T/A, at Englishtown, in 1990. I think that's Phil Monteith standing beside Sal. I assume that Phil is responsible for most, if not all the Pontiac power the Biondo clan raced. Not sure. Anybody know how the Biondo family got hooked up with Phil ?
Sam Biondo & Phil Monteith have been together since National Speed way on Long Island. the year ?.The Biondo Pontiac cars were powered by Phil. The Sal photo was his first National win with Phil,Sam& Peter in that shot.
__________________
RSM.
RacerET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger