HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2020, 12:42 AM   #321
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Super Stockers

Brad Burton is entered in the div 7 race @ Tucson, with the Burton GT/HA Pontiac powered '91 Bird. He is #18 on the Q-list @.854 under.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...er=30#indextop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burton Bird.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	54002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burton 3rd Gen GT Bird .jpg
Views:	208
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	54003  

Last edited by oldskool; 03-01-2020 at 12:55 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #322
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

From Belle Rose LODRS Comp Qualifying:
13 4483 CC/A John Clegg, Victoria TX, '88 Pontiac 7.029 7.55 -0.521
Pontiac powered?
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #323
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
From Belle Rose LODRS Comp Qualifying:
13 4483 CC/A John Clegg, Victoria TX, '88 Pontiac 7.029 7.55 -0.521
Pontiac powered?
No. Don't think so. There are some videos of John's Comp car, on the Mission Garage site. Lots of pics & videos of the Clegg cars, from years past.

http://missiongarage.com/photos.htm

He switched over from Pontiac power many years ago. I think he had quit using Pontiac power, back when he still raced the '73 SD455 Bird, he'd bought new. Not sure exactly what year he switched.

But I'm pretty sure this 3rd gen never had Pontiac power. Obviously I could be wrong. All that info may be on their Mission Garage site.

http://missiongarage.com/

John's son J.B., is also listed as driving an '88 Bird in SS. Assume it's the same car John drove for years. At one time, they claimed it was the quickest SS car. Just out of curiosity, what are the rules for the SS/AS class.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/john-c...er-stock-pass/

I know that J.B has raced their '73 & '74 Birds with Pontiac power, in recent years. But, if they've had Pontiac power in a 3rd gen, I'm not aware of it. Hope I'm wrong. But, it seems that lots of guys are always wanting something that runs a little quicker than the car they have.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r=100#indextop

There are pics of the '73 Bird with SS/AM on it. I assume this was not with Pontiac power. But again, could be wrong.

http://missiongarage.com/team.htm

The quickest I know of that they ran with Pontiac power was mid 9's, in SS/I, IIRC.
Here's a 9.62 in SS/I. with the '74 T/A.

Last edited by oldskool; 03-09-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #324
oldskool
VIP Member

Had to add this. Brad Burton just won SS, at the div 7 race, in Tucson, with the Burton Pontiac powered '91 GT Bird !

Liked
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #325
oldskool
VIP Member

OK, I got another dummy question for you guys who know what the rules were for AHRA & IHRA.

I seem to remember several differences, from NHRA rules.

I have some pics of the 1970 Knafel GTO, nat record holder. It appears to be running in the 2-FA or FA-2 class. So, exactly what is that ? Is it a Stock class ? SS ?

We attended the World Nats race in Amarillo, in '76, IIRC. We saw a car there named "Packin Poncho". It was a '69 GTO, with a hood scoop. Looks like it ran in the SS3 class. Can someone here clarify the AHRA/IHRA rules, for Stock/SS ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FA-2 Knafel Pits .jpg
Views:	207
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	54217   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA-2 Knafel .jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	54218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nite Pits 2-FA .jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	54219  

Name:	Packin Poncho .jpg
Views:	202
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	54220   Click image for larger version

Name:	'69 GTO Packin Poncho .jpg
Views:	208
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	54221   Click image for larger version

Name:	World Nats .jpg
Views:	196
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	54222  

Last edited by oldskool; 03-09-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Liked
Old 03-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #326
Terry Witzel

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
OK, I got another dummy question for you guys who know what the rules were for AHRA & IHRA.

I seem to remember several differences, from NHRA rules.

I have some pics of the 1970 Knafel GTO, nat record holder. It appears to be running in the 2-FA or FA-2 class. So, exactly what is that ? Is it a Stock class ? SS ?

We attended the World Nats race in Amarillo, in '76, IIRC. We saw a car there named "Packin Poncho". It was a '69 GTO, with a hood scoop. Looks like it ran in the SS3 class. Can someone here clarify the AHRA/IHRA rules, for Stock/SS ?
The Knafel GTO was probably running the AHRA Formula Stock class. AHRA considered this a Stock class but was more like Super Stock, hood scoops, aftermarket intakes, any size tire that would fit in the stock wheel well, etc. Formula 1 was for cars with multiple carbs, Formula 2 was for four barrel cars, and Formula 3 was for 2 barrel cars.

IHRA was Super Stock, I believe they were based on the same formula as AHRA Formula stock but had also had a SS/4 class that was for NHRA legal cars.
Terry Witzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #327
oldskool
VIP Member

Thanks ! Don't recall "Formula Stock". Don't think any of the tracks we ran were AHRA.

Questions:

(1) In the multiple carbs class, does that mean you could run either 2 fours, or 3 twos, on cars that came with only 1 carb ?

(2) Does it also mean that you could run a single 2 barrel, on engines that came with a 4 barrel.

(3) Was there any limit as to what brand or size the carbs could be ?

(4) So the Knafel car was probably running a Holley 4 barrel & aftermarket intake, maybe ?

(5) Cam rule for that class ?

Having dabbled in dirt track racing, I can imagine all sorts of big 2-barrel carbs. There were the hogged out 2-barrel Holleys. Then there was also running 1/2 of a Dominator 4-barrel. Would be interesting to know just how quick the 2-barrel cars were, & the exact specs of the carbs used on those quick cars.

Last edited by oldskool; 03-10-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #328
oldskool
VIP Member

Monte Howard was nice enuff to send me some pics & info from the time when he was driving the Ken Shawver '78 SS T/A.

"Indy USNationals class wins 2007, 2010
Norwalk class win 2007
JEGS sports nationals class win 2007
Rt66 Lucas Oil Div win 2008
Indy Fall Classic win 2007
Clay city KY IHRA div Pro-Am win 2007
Us Nationals semi finals 2012.
Sports Nationals semi finals 2007"

"The 2010 US Nationals class win was a pretty good story.

We went to Indy with a fresh engine, after our first run it was not quite as fast as I would have liked, second run it was slower. I cut the oil filter apart to find the filter full of bearing material. Not in a very good mood. I sat in the trailer thinking we were done for the weekend, I came up with a idea. Thinking my first qualifying run would get us qualified for the show. I decided to head home and put our spare short block in the car. Left the track at noon on Thursday thinking I could have it back together for first round of the eliminator on Sunday. With the help of good friend Dean Davies we started pulling the engine around 2:00 pm Thursday afternoon. By midnight we had the engine and trans out, pulled the heads, Intake, Cam & Lifters, timing chain, oil pan and pump off the hurt engine. My friend was tired and went home at midnight. He asked how long are you gonna work on it. I said well I am gonna work as late as I could. Knowing that if things went smooth that I might be able to make it back to Indy the next morning for class eliminations . I drug out the spare short block that consisted of a block, crank, rods and pistons. Cleaned up all the parts, degreed the cam in, assembled the rest of the engine and had it in the car and fired up at 3:00 am. Loaded the car and all the tools, went in the house took a shower and slept for 45 minutes and then left for Indy. With only 45 minutes sleep we ended up winning class on Friday with a spare short block that I had to scotch brite the rust out of the cylinder walls.
My friends that I parked with at Indy knew when we left Thursday that our plan was to be back Saturday night or Sunday morning. They where shocked when we pulled back in our pit spot Friday Morning. Bill Rink walked over and asked where I went. I told him the story and he said “you are nuts”."

Wow, I've had more problems with pics on this site than any other. MOST, have to be resized 50% or more smaller. The 2nd pic below was clocked 90° to the left. So, I clocked it 90° to the right, & now it shows up 90° to the right, exactly as it is on my computer. So, I tried it straight up again & see what happened. Anybody know why a pic that is correct on my laptop would show up clocked to the left, when all other pics upload correctly ?

Anyhow, this Bird is definitely one of the most competitive Pontiac powered SS cars ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-Monte Howard .jpg
Views:	234
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	54223   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Monte .jpg
Views:	207
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	54234   Click image for larger version

Name:	two -Monte .jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	54235  

Name:	3-Monte .jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	54236   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Monte .jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	54237   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-Monte .jpg
Views:	197
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	54238  

Name:	6-Monte .jpg
Views:	205
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	54239  

Last edited by oldskool; 03-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #329
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Use to be quite a few 389 wagons in competition.

Here's one that is shown to have been a record holder from '65 thru '80, except for 2 years.

Who can give us details ?
Yes, this was Larry Pacey's car. My wife's uncle in Wisconsin owns it.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #330
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
"...drove Dons ramp truck non stop, except for gas, from Farmington New Mexico to Lexington Ky..."

Love stories from the "good ole days". Would also LOVE to see the pics.

I'm probably not the only guy here who likes to see the old pics. I even like pics of the ramp trucks & open trailers the cars were hauled on.

" and hauling that yacht in a Bus! "

It was a different world from the motor homes & fancy enclosed trailers of today's racing world.
One of the reasons I started Jr. Stocker on Facebook, lots of great stories.Love to see those great buses converted to ramp trucks.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote