HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Default TIG machine

Welders, I am in the market for a TIG machine. This will be for personal, hobby usage, not production usage.

For reference, I have a Hobart 230 MIG that is an excellent machine. Does Hobart have a good TIG machine?

Other suggestions?
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,031 Times in 270 Posts
Default Re: TIG machine

My preference is Lincoln, and by a wide margin. Their 175 is plenty for most people, it will handle a chrome moly chassis and cage with ease.

Be aware, Weldcraft has the best TIG torches, and you do want water cooled. You also want a gas lens for the torch, and a pretty decent selection of cups, collets, and tungsten.

I strongly suggest "Performance Welding" by Richard Finch.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:04 AM   #3
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

Larry,

I will also recommend the Lincoln 175. When I was looking for a TIG machine my brother said they had 4 of these machines in their shop and all the welders loved them. As luck would have it when I went looking for a machine I found a dealer with 10 of them coming off lease. I got a terrific deal: machine, new cables, new torch, cart, and a 1 year guarantee for 1/2 of new price. Shop around, you might get lucky.

I added a Furick cup which is probably about the same as the glass cup Alan recommended. These are a great tool. You can stick that tungsten way out there, get into tight corners, and have a wonderful view of the weld puddle. We have done several roll bars, a roll cage, and all kinds of brackets and other stuff. I am very happy with this machine. Good luck.

Last edited by Larry Merk; 12-17-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Larry Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 11:15 AM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Merk View Post
Larry,

I will also recommend the Lincoln 175. When I was looking for a TIG machine my brother said they had 4 of these machines in their shop and all the welders loved them. As luck would have it when I went looking for a machine I found a dealer with 10 of them coming off lease. I got a terrific deal: machine, new cables, new torch, cart, and a 1 year guarantee for 1/2 of new price. Shop around, you might get lucky.

I added a Furick cup which is probably about the same as the glass cup Alan recommended. These are a great tool. You can stick that tungsten way out there, get into tight corners, and have a wonderful view of the weld puddle. We have done several roll bars, a roll cage, and all kinds of brackets and other stuff. I am very happy with this machine. Good luck.

Furick does make the gas lens and the cup I was talking about. They sell a wide selection of good products.

I also strongly recommend a top drawer auto darkening helmet, with the biggest lens you can afford, and maximum adjustability. The good ones, like Lincoln, are even capable of accepting "cheaters" for us old guys who need glasses of some sort.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:40 PM   #5
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts

Surfing the web, it seems that Lincoln no longer makes the 175. I see a 180 and 200.
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 06:40 PM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Surfing the web, it seems that Lincoln no longer makes the 175. I see a 180 and 200.

The Square Wave TIG 175 is commonly available used, and for under $1K.