HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #601
Rat Patrol

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Just a word or two:

I’ve spent rwo years trawling web sites, books, magazine results lists, HAMB and this venerable web site ( and especially the Late Paul Ceasrine’s
posts) and here are my conclusions:

- The book Junior Stock is FULL of typographical errors (duplicated results summaries btwn Winters and Indy), also incorrect results and captions.

To be fair, most relate to Super Stock, not Jr Stock details.

- Super Stock - Drag racing the family sedan - Larry Davis - has a few errors related to driver attribution..but is generally pretty reliable

- Maximum Performance, the Jim Schilds Mopar lightweight text is very solid - but has little in the way of results more than Davis’s book .

I’ve found the Facebook groups S/S1,2,3 and Junior Stock to be incredibly valuable resources.

That said- feel free to check out the first phase of my web site - don’t let the title sway you...I’m a Mopar guy so all my blogs have Mopar in the title.

https://skunwerkssuperstock.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Rat Patrol; 06-16-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Rat Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #602
Cstockbird

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
As mentioned, there were a lot of Pontiac dealers that fielded drag cars.

That Stephen Pontiac car reminded me of a couple of pics I have.

One is a chrome bumper '68 GTO Stocker. The other is what I think was a poor attempt at a Pro Stock car. Anybody know how quick it was & how much it lacked being competitive ?

When I 1st saw it, I thought the "Pro" was for the Pro bracket, at a local bracket race. But, I think I read that it was actually an attempt at the Pro Stock class. That was obviously in the very early days of Pro Stock. Never knew of a dealership sponsoring a bracket car.

"...Following a 1973 NHRA rule change to allow records to be set at any national meet, at the 1973 NHRA Winternationals, "Dyno Don" Nicholson set the first official Pro Stock e.t. record with a 9.33, while Bill Jenkins turned in a record 148.76 mph (239.41 km/h) speed; later at the same event, Nicholson made a 9.01 second/150.50 mph (242.21 km/h) pass, breaking both his and Jenkins' records..."

Anybody know how the Stephen Stockers did ?
The 68 and 69 cars we’re very competitive at least regionally the pro stock car suffered from a lack of good connecting rods as the company that made them for Pontiac for the Ram
Air 5 program
Went belly up. Many feel The ram air 5 would have dominated SS which is what it was designed to do had it made it into cars and showrooms, it was connecting rod shortage that stopped that from happening. The blocks were even stamped with codes for production cars, there was NO aftermarket support for the RAV cars and pretty much what they raced pro stock with came directly out of the factory engineering dept. the Intake had a developmental part number.
I am friends with the original driver Bill eckstrom. And I own the engine that was in that 70 pro stocker. It was dyno’d and without the 2 inch spacers it made 634 hp at 6500 rpm where we cut it off, these heads made HP much higher than that RPM. It also made good torque through a very wide RPM range, But due to its obvious rarity I didn’t want to push it. The car ran 10.30s The headers are very heavy built like a brick $&it house as was the ram air pan which I also have. The car likely suffered from weight placement issues as well as lack of good rods .competing against aluminum engine variants of other brands. There’s a good article on this in rodder and super stock in 73 where they reference aluminum blocks, I have some good video of the car being run and half track it was still side by side w the top qualifying, hemi car , and it was the ONLY Pontiac still in the pro stock field in 71 trying to compete and making a go of it.
The 69 RAIV bird ran 11.93 which was right on the record as far as I can tell. The 69 car was also driven by Tom Mc Innis at times .
68 car I don’t have any numbers on but it was a ram air II 4 spd. Bill Eckstromi was an amazing 4spd driver and could cut a great light but you had to have the HP and support to compete in pro stock or it just didn’t matter .

We all know how brutally powerful the hemi cars were and are still today. Especially against an all IRON (even the heads) pontiac w only 400 cubes
to work with... had there been a 455 variant with aluminum heads and great rods may have been a very different story .

Much of the RAV parts including complete engines were crushed (racks and racks of them) by Pontiac because they weren’t going to be put into production cars due to the connecting rod shortage. Some 80-200 made it out and either to dealers, racers or over parts counters .

Most (not all) of the pictures you’ll see on line of these cars came directly from Bill eckstrom, Tom Mc innis, tim bishop. I obtained them During research I did on these cars.
I’ve spoken with most of the drivers mechanics and freinds of them associated with these cars and I’d
Like to thank
all of them for help they’ve given. Special thanks to Howard block who helped me get important parts and pieces back together in one place . Many of the photos were on my web site which is down right now but may be back up
Soon. I also raced the 69 car myself for 15 years mostly in brackets, Pontiac events as well as NETO.

I am especially looking for good pictures of the trunk area of the 69 car.

Last edited by Cstockbird; 02-11-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Cstockbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #603
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

I have a question: Performance wise how did running a Super Duty 421 in D/SA - ESA turn out for you Carol Wharling? I was very curious waiting to see this run, but never paid attention after the wuhan virus. The intake valve size seemed like it could be a problem.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #604
SS/Pontiac

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Norman Warlng is running the 1962 Catalina. The car ran .13 under the index at Great Bend in ES/A .
SS/Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #605
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

I know little about Pontiac but spotted a 62 Catalina post car in the weeds last week at a high school buddies place. Had a roll-on get it in the dry the next day. Original 421 driveline was inside a building with 2 4BBL carbs. His old book showed it as #105 of the 172 Super Duty cars. The front cap is steel so we are going to restore it in Smokey Yunick theme and run in the Great Race. Then sell it. Ugly but cool car. No radio/heater etc. Phish
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #606
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
Just a word or two:

I’ve spent rwo years trawling web sites, books, magazine results lists, HAMB and this venerable web site ( and especially the Late Paul Ceasrine’s
posts) and here are my conclusions.

I’ve found the Facebook groups S/S1,2,3 and Junior Stock to be incredibly valuable resources.

That said- feel free to check out the first phase of my web site - don’t let the title sway you...I’m a Mopar guy so all my blogs have Mopar in the title.

https://skunwerksmoparsuperstock.wordpress.com/
Thanks for starting this website. I have looked at each page that you have done so far. Very cool. I am sure it wasn't easy to put this together. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to further updates and pages that you add.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #607
Terry Witzel

Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts

Bud Schlerer 1964 Catalina G/S class winner at the 1965 U S Nationals. Anybody remember this car or have any info?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	295
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	57076  
Terry Witzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-21-2021, 05:01 AM   #608
Rat Patrol

Ray Pace - Won F/SA - 63 Nats - 58 Pontiac.

Anyone got any pics? I realise it’ll be a bit of a stretch...
Old 04-21-2021, 05:03 AM   #609
Rat Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
Thanks for starting this website. I have looked at each page that you have done so far. Very cool. I am sure it wasn't easy to put this together. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to further updates and pages that you add.
Thx CG49. 1965 is now published.

https://skunwerksmoparsuperstock.wor...s-comes-alive/
Liked
Old 06-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #610
Rat Patrol

New web address.

Use the Chapter headings as links to each year.

66 published shortly....but I could sure use some period pics of Tin Indian V.

https://skunkwerkssuperstock.wordpress.com/