HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Who are the customers?

This is a topic that comes up on a somewhat regular basis, and 2020 has only made things more problematic. I'm reminded what Alan Reinhart says at the conclusion of every National Event (paraphrasing here - that we could have spent our entertainment dollars anywhere) and he's right! We all made that decision to attend the race.

I can understand how frustrated Mr. Freeman must feel, with things changing so dramatically for his operation. Using 2020 as an example is going to be impossible, but we've had downturns in the economy before, haven't we? I think it's fair to assume that, as mentioned above, some of us have made the determination that no matter how much we enjoy the sport, life does "get in the way" sometimes, and there are other priorities in life that are going to come first.No single solution is going to work for everyone.

The one thing I question though is his idea that we are all "customers", and that the "show" is put on for our benefit. Maybe when Wally Parks and "Pappy" Hart first started holding races at old abandoned airfields, but that dynamic changed when people realized how much money could be made. I've always thought that we were, at the very least "partners" in the operation, sharing a "symbiotic relationship" with the sanctioning body - we both need each other to exist! Doesn't the NHRA refer to all of us as "members"? Aren't the fruits of OUR LABOR what make the Association succeed? If anyone, the "customers" are those casual fans who pour through the turnstiles during a normal season or the businesses who provide the sponsorships and advertise their products on trackside signage or on network TV. They're getting a "service".

Maybe if the NHRA had been a little more "upfront" with all of us, Professional AND Sportsman, and just told us the worst kept secret of 2020 - "that business is horrible, we're hemorrhaging money and the near-term outlook is bleak! But we're all in this together and when things get back to "normal" (whatever that looks like) we'll revisit your compensation and points fund structure. We remain committed to the continued success of everyone associated with the NHRA." Wouldn't that have been better?

Anyway, just a thought. Have a great day!.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
ken robinson

Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

The question that begs to be asked is . Did the top brass of the NHRA take a pay cut and if so how much ? It seams like a fair enough question if you are a paying member . Alot of track owners and racers got cuts in income in 2020 . CEO's of business that don't grow the bottom line don't bonuses , well most of the time .
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,031 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gallagher View Post
After reading all of the above, I'm reminded of several times in the past when NHRA made reductions in how we the racers were rewarded for our efforts and the words of a past fellow Champion, Charlie Taylor.
After quietly listening to all the grousing, Charlie would reply, "you know, tell me who the person is holding a gun to your head when you send your entry form and check to NHRA."
Just like the fans sitting in the stands, we all are free to make choices about how and were we spend our entertainment dollars.
Chuck Gallagher

While that is true, these days NHRA is more disconnected from the racers, and the racers have fewer options Not to mention a lot of racers have a massive investment in the sport they love.

While what Charlie said has a little merit, the flip side is that NHRA owes the participants fair treatment and transparency.

Yep, everyone could decide to do something else. But why should they even be forced by the sanctioning body to consider it?
Liked