HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Who are the customers?

https://dragillustrated.com/richard-...r-customer-is/

"They don’t understand who their customer is,” Freeman begins. “They don’t get it. We the racers – from all the sportsman class racers and all of us in the pros – are their customer. We should be top priority. Without racers there is no show, there is no sport, there’s no sponsorships to sell, there’s no events to sell tickets to, there’s no fans to buy them. There’s no media interest. The racers are at the center of it all. Nothing they do – not a single thing – reflects that, especially what they’ve done with the race purse and championship payout". -Freeman
Old 10-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts
Default Re: Who are the customers?

Read the article and what was stated is well taken.

Customer = Individual who pays for a service.

Have not been around drag racing as long as many of you (mid 90s) but learned very quickly that if you pay to enter an NHRA race you are NHRA customer.

Pros do not pay entry fees they are the NHRA Show, the product purchased by fans in the stands.

Sportsman racers pay to race as you all will agree are not seen as part of The Show but filler by NHRA. Sportsman entry fees do fund the Pro Show.
The case Mr. Freeman is discussing realistically is a racing budget cut which without openly stating will not fund the level of racing they have enjoyed.

Similar to the income cuts pro sportsman racers have swallowed for 10 or more years with purse cuts and sponsors no longer paying contingency.

Needless to say the true sportsman racer whose budget can be cut or deleted with loss of a job, sickness, or unexpected expense.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 801 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post

"They don’t understand who their customer is,” Freeman begins. “They don’t get it. We the racers – from all the sportsman class racers and all of us in the pros – are their customer. We should be top priority. Without racers there is no show, there is no sport, there’s no sponsorships to sell, there’s no events to sell tickets to, there’s no fans to buy them. There’s no media interest. The racers are at the center of it all. Nothing they do – not a single thing – reflects that, especially what they’ve done with the race purse and championship payout". -Freeman
This goes even further than THIS > The sportsman racers basically provide NHRA with approximately 4 to 5 million income a year >let me explain, membership Dues, the manufacturers who sell to racers pay a lot of advertising dollars to NHRA . The sportsman buy products from the manufacturers who in turn pay for their sponsorship of NHRA even though this has dwindling no ROI for them with NHRA .The money spend is intertwined as an example Mellow yellow we buy coke products and Camping world we buy from them. We all depend on each other so we all must understand, I am sure there are other examples of the Money spend on racing and how it helps NHRA I will think about this a little more. Don't get me wrong I want NHRA to be successful and Pay the pros the money they deserve vs the money they spend as well as the sportsman

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 10-23-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Stan Weiss

Liked 544 Times in 291 Posts

Has NHRA been cheap and screwed the racers YES and I understand why people here have spoken up.

Now about this article. Maybe Richard is just saying this to let NHRA know that next year he wants prize money back the same or higher. But if this is about the last race or the next race. Just where does Richard think the money is coming from? NHRA's major sponsor stopped sending NHRA money, the number of races has been reduce, the number of days for a race has been reduced, the number of spectators who can attend has been reduce. So just where does Richard think the money is coming from?

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
BG56

Liked 274 Times in 100 Posts

I think PS could be on the edge of a cliff. Careful, they could easily be 'eliminated'.
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Has NHRA been cheap and screwed the racers YES and I understand why people here have spoken up.

Now about this article. Maybe Richard is just saying this to let NHRA know that next year he wants prize money back the same or higher. But if this is about the last race or the next race. Just where does Richard think the money is coming from? NHRA's major sponsor stopped sending NHRA money, the number of races has been reduce, the number of days for a race has been reduced, the number of spectators who can attend has been reduce. So just where does Richard think the money is coming from?

Stan
Well Stan, I'll tell you where. On more than one occasion in my life I've had to make some tough decisions concerning business, very personal decisions. In every instance where some economic development has bonked me on the head I made the decision to STOP BEING PAYED... during the latest China Flu economic disaster both my wife and I were not payed for 8 weeks, 16 household paychecks so my vendors and employees could get paid and the business could still continue to support our customers with what little they needed. NHRA should support the racer for once!
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Stan Weiss

Quote:
Well Stan, I'll tell you where. On more than one occasion in my life I've had to make some tough decisions concerning business, very personal decisions. In every instance where some economic development has bonked me on the head I made the decision to STOP BEING PAYED... during the latest China Flu economic disaster both my wife and I were not payed for 8 weeks, 16 household paychecks so my vendors and employees could get paid and the business could still continue to support our customers with what little they needed. NHRA should support the racer for once!

I have no idea. But since you seem to know. What did the NHRA brass do in the way of taking or not taking a pay cut?

Stan
Old 10-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
I have no idea. But since you seem to know. What did the NHRA brass do in the way of taking or not taking a pay cut?

Stan
I don't know what they did concerning their pay (one can only assume) but I know some of their customers (racers) sure took a hit on an already pathetic payout.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Stan Weiss

Quote:

Stan

Quote:
I don't know what they did concerning their pay (one can only assume) but I know some of their customers (racers) sure took a hit on an already pathetic payout.

Covered that in my first post. Still looking for an answer on how to fix it.

Stan
Old 10-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
Chuck Gallagher

Liked 133 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:

After reading all of the above, I'm reminded of several times in the past when NHRA made reductions in how we the racers were rewarded for our efforts and the words of a past fellow Champion, Charlie Taylor.
After quietly listening to all the grousing, Charlie would reply, "you know, tell me who the person is holding a gun to your head when you send your entry form and check to NHRA."
Just like the fans sitting in the stands, we all are free to make choices about how and were we spend our entertainment dollars.
Chuck Gallagher
Chuck Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote