HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 04-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: The Future Of The .90 Classes

I can't remember what year it was maybe 09 or10 when it went straight to a .X70 tree. That's why I parked my stuff in early 2011. I fixed the issue and kept trying to came back. I had motor issues, business issues and a broken leg. The next thing I knew I was 53 years old making my first full season in 9 years. I wouldn't do this stuff if I didn't love it. But damn some times it's a PITA. But then again here I am. Lol
Regan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #22
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts

How about this. No delay boxes, manual throttle limiters only (no electric or pneumatic limiters), manual shift only, including automatic transmissions (no electrically controlled or CO2 shifters). Let's see how many racers can compete without all the electronic gadgets doing all the work for them. Car must remain under full power to at least to the 1,000 foot timer. Every one knows that people in the stands still do not like this type of racing. They want to see cars under full power all the way down the track, (not fall on it's face for hundreds of feet down the track). And before you start bashing me, know that I run Super Street myself. So this can be done, because this is how I race. I choose to not be a monkey in the car and let all the electronics do the work, while all I have to do is cut a light. Also, once your car is fast enough for Super Gas, it should not be allowed to run in Super Street. Leave Super Street class for the racers that are not running 140 mph +. I'm not trying to bash anyone else's way of racing. We all have our ways of trying to be competitive in these style classes. Just my 2 cents, and I know that it's not gonna be popular with the majority of the Super class racers.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #23
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I have a shifter that is co2, but is not electric solenoids, or wires, you have to move the liberty shifter to acuate the air switch's which shift the trans. So the way you say this, would this not meet you requirements for super gas?? You said no co2 shifters
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #24
NHRA1926

I was talking about Super Street specifically, but I think ALL super classes should be under power all the way down the track without going on a throttle stop style device that makes them fall on their face while traveling down the race track. The main point I was trying to make was that there are WAY to many gadgets in the typical Super class cars. I know, if I don't care for this style of class, I should find another class to race in. I get it. I just think that their is no human element in a car where the electronic devices are doing all the work to make the car run the number. I'm sure you know as well as I do that the stands tend to clear out at a national event when the super classes come to the line. We (the racers) understand our classes, but the typical guy in the stands doesn't care much for cars that that fall on the throttle stop, then take back off again. Don't get me wrong on one point though. I don't care if there are people in the stands, I just want to race. But I just really think the super class rules and equipment have gone WAY to far with all the gadgets used in these class. One more point, if the rule book says Super Street uses a .500 tree, then it should be a .500 tree. Just because the pros have a hard time with the tree, doesn't mean they should change the sportsman tree, especially when the rule book specifically states ".500 Tree"
Old 04-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #25
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
How about this. No delay boxes, manual throttle limiters only (no electric or pneumatic limiters), manual shift only, including automatic transmissions (no electrically controlled or CO2 shifters). Let's see how many racers can compete without all the electronic gadgets doing all the work for them. Car must remain under full power to at least to the 1,000 foot timer. Every one knows that people in the stands still do not like this type of racing. They want to see cars under full power all the way down the track, (not fall on it's face for hundreds of feet down the track). And before you start bashing me, know that I run Super Street myself. So this can be done, because this is how I race. I choose to not be a monkey in the car and let all the electronics do the work, while all I have to do is cut a light. Also, once your car is fast enough for Super Gas, it should not be allowed to run in Super Street. Leave Super Street class for the racers that are not running 140 mph +. I'm not trying to bash anyone else's way of racing. We all have our ways of trying to be competitive in these style classes. Just my 2 cents, and I know that it's not gonna be popular with the majority of the Super class racers.
The only thing this would do is put the aftermarket HP industry out of business. The genie is out of the bottle and not going back in..........
Dan
Old 04-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #26
NHRA1926

Yup, so big corporate America is now running the NHRA. Tail is wagging the dog, so to speak. God forbid we just race without these big companies complaining about how we race or what equipment we use. We do need these companies for parts, but they shouldn't be able to dictate to NHRA that these classes HAVE TO buy and use their parts to be able to compete in the super classes. So I refuse to. Just like the 2 year expiration dates on the belts. No reason why NHRA can't inspect and re-certify them at the track. It's all about feeding money back to these companies and forcing the racer to flip the bill for it. Don't get me wrong, safety equipment should not be compromised, but why do we have to spend this money every two years? Other sanctioned racing entities don't require it, and those cars sit outside on open trailers, exposed to the weather and sun. The harness in those other cars are always being strained left, right, forward and back. Doesn't make much sense, other than forcing the money issue to these companies.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #27
Regan Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
Yup, so big corporate America is now running the NHRA. Tail is wagging the dog, so to speak. God forbid we just race without these big companies complaining about how we race or what equipment we use. We do need these companies for parts, but they shouldn't be able to dictate to NHRA that these classes HAVE TO buy and use their parts to be able to compete in the super classes. So I refuse to. Just like the 2 year expiration dates on the belts. No reason why NHRA can't inspect and re-certify them at the track. It's all about feeding money back to these companies and forcing the racer to flip the bill for it. Don't get me wrong, safety equipment should not be compromised, but why do we have to spend this money every two years? Other sanctioned racing entities don't require it, and those cars sit outside on open trailers, exposed to the weather and sun. The harness in those other cars are always being strained left, right, forward and back. Doesn't make much sense, other than forcing the money issue to these companies.
I think you are missing the point. The point is if all we had to run was say 10.90 @ 118 mph there would be no need in new tech in the horsepower aspect. I've had people look at my truck and say ( Isn't that a little too much for SST?). The last time I checked NHRA stood for National Hot Rod Association. I race a Hot Rod and don't care what everyone else runs if it meets class requirements. Do what you want with your Hot Rod.
Liked
Old 04-20-2021, 10:22 PM   #28
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan Wilson View Post
I think you are missing the point. The point is if all we had to run was say 10.90 @ 118 mph there would be no need in new tech in the horsepower aspect. I've had people look at my truck and say ( Isn't that a little too much for SST?). The last time I checked NHRA stood for National Hot Rod Association. I race a Hot Rod and don't care what everyone else runs if it meets class requirements. Do what you want with your Hot Rod.
Totally agree
I can’t help it if you bring a knife to a gunfight!
Don’t play in there sandbox and try to change rules to fit your agenda
I have won with a very slow car and now with a fast one. All within rules
Anyway there are some more classes that fit that need. No t-stop and stricter rules. There is a 10 flat 8.50 and 11.50 class. Nhra even had them at several division races. Not a huge turnout or a big fan hit like you think.
I just won an event in the 11.50 index class.in my street strip car. Believe me it wasn’t easy. Btw the winner in the 10 flat class was also a super street racer.

Last edited by Keith 944; 04-20-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #29
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Coming to the Super classes from Comp Eliminator, I have no problem in wanting to go faster.. we keep building things bigger and faster, but remain in our respective classes.. many looked to TS and TD as a place to take our stuff to go faster.. unfortunately, as in my case, my body style is not acceptable in either.. many are in the same boat.. AND THEN, TS and TD spiraled out of control in the money area, which made them unattainable for many who really wanted to go fast.. SOOOOOOO, back to bracket racing for many..

I see no problem with dropping the indexes by a second in each class, and run off the same .370 tree in all classes.. all rules remain the same, except maybe the minimum weight for S/ST.. we may find that some SG guys, who run just enough power to run 9.90, will change to S/ST, and not have to spend money on a new combination.. and we already know that many S/ST folks can already run 9.90, especially if they can lose some weight..

Not a bad idea from where I'm sittin'.. I can't see where anyone gets hurt..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #30
Regan Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti View Post
Coming to the Super classes from Comp Eliminator, I have no problem in wanting to go faster.. we keep building things bigger and faster, but remain in our respective classes.. many looked to TS and TD as a place to take our stuff to go faster.. unfortunately, as in my case, my body style is not acceptable in either.. many are in the same boat.. AND THEN, TS and TD spiraled out of control in the money area, which made them unattainable for many who really wanted to go fast.. SOOOOOOO, back to bracket racing for many..

I see no problem with dropping the indexes by a second in each class, and run off the same .370 tree in all classes.. all rules remain the same, except maybe the minimum weight for S/ST.. we may find that some SG guys, who run just enough power to run 9.90, will change to S/ST, and not have to spend money on a new combination.. and we already know that many S/ST folks can already run 9.90, especially if they can lose some weight..

Not a bad idea from where I'm sittin'.. I can't see where anyone gets hurt..
I agree with everything you said but the .370 tree. There are some SST cars that struggle with .470. And of course there's this dummy with a 3550lb truck.