HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Unhappy New California Law for Out of State Trucks and RV's

Well... California is at it again...they will be performing road side smog checks of heavy duty trucks and RV's, even if the vehicle is registered out of state! 😡

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unv...rt-los-angeles

------------------

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently previewed the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program (HD I/M), which is due to begin phasing in on Jan. 1, 2023, at an enforcement truck event held at the Port of Los Angeles. CARB used the event, where more than 1200 trucks were screened, to help make owners and operators aware of the new ‘smog check’ requirements for heavy-duty vehicles and the phase-in timeline. The program is the first in the nation of its kind and will ensure that emissions control systems on heavy-duty vehicles operate effectively for the life of the vehicle, improving air quality and protecting public health.

The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California.

“The Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program will ensure that the emissions control equipment in heavy-duty trucks does its job capturing and removing harmful emissions for the life of the vehicle. And, if we discover it’s not working properly, it will be repaired quickly,” said CARB Chair Liane Randolph. “This will save owners and operators in fuel costs and deliver significant improvements in air quality and public health especially in communities adjacent to highways, ports and warehouses that suffer from persistent air pollution as a result of heavy traffic.”

While the heavy-duty vehicles under this program comprise only 3 percent of all vehicles on California roads, they are responsible for more than half of all harmful smog-causing pollution and fine particulate matter from mobile sources in the state

By ensuring that trucks continue to run clean for the life of the vehicle, the new program is expected to deliver $75 billion in health benefits, prevent 7,500 air-quality related deaths and 6,000 hospitalizations and emergency room visits from 2023 to 2050. These benefits are 18 times the estimated cost of the program at $4 billion.

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) – a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads. The detection/monitoring system was unveiled at the enforcement event at the Port of Los Angeles.

Vehicles flagged by the monitoring devices will be required to undergo an additional emissions test to verify their emissions-control equipment is functioning properly and repair any malfunctioning emission control equipment, if necessary.

In mid-2023, phase two of the HD I/M program requires all heavy-duty trucks to register with CARB and obtain a certificate of compliance to operate in the state.

In 2024, in the last phase of the program, heavy-duty truck registration in California will require proof of emissions compliance with the HD I/M Program. Emissions inspections will need to be performed twice a year for vehicles with onboard diagnostic (OBD) systems, increasing to four times per year testing in 2027.

Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device. It is projected that 75 to 80% of all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins.

Older heavy-duty vehicles without an OBD system will continue the current opacity testing requirements with an added visual testing component, twice each year.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: New California Law for Out of State Trucks and RV's

I’m guessing the 14K GVWR will snare bigger trucks pulling enclosed trailers that have had delete work. Who would make the long tow to Pomona guessing their rig would pass?
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

What is the GVWR of most 3500 trucks? 10-12K? or are they going by what you have it licensed for?

Last edited by Chris1529; 09-22-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
What is the GVW of most 3500 trucks? 10-12K? or are they going by what you have it licensed for?
Being California, they will probably leave it to the discretion of law enforcement. A Ram 4500 is 16500.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Wouldn't GVW include the trailer. My Chevrolet 3500 has a 25,000 lb tag.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Wouldn't GVW include the trailer. My Chevrolet 3500 has a 25,000 lb tag.
That would depend on which state it's registered in. Yeah, screwy, right? In CT you can't have the truck registered for any more (or less) than the factory sticker shows for GVW. Any trailer has the GVW on it's own.
Liked
Old 09-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #7
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

I know first hand CA Highway Patrol sometimes uses the tire weight ratings on each tire on the roadway and adds those up for a gross weight of the vehicle no matter what it the vehicle registered for.
That seems a little crazy however it is CA.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: New California Law for Out of State Trucks and RV's

About ten or so years ago, I entered a freeway which for once was moving pretty fast- the speed limit or faster, and about half way down the ramp was a sign that read, Survey Party. I was probably wide open throttle the I passed the sign, and there was a small table set up off to the side with two guys sitting there, looking pretty legit. My vehicle was my 91 Chevy 1500 pick up, 5.7 liter TBI engine, pure stock and all. About two weeks later,I got a letter from the state informing me that my vehicle, the before described truck, was observed at that location, on ramp and all, and that it was excessively exceeding emissions and instructing me to get it repaired. It wasn't a citation, no deadline, but the thing that stood out in my mind was that there was no indication of an emission check or anything else other than the falsely labeled survey party. Face it, here's government lying again, doing what it does best. Next time that a smog inspection was required for a registration renewal, it still passed with flying colors. Now, what good is a government that lies to its constituency? What would happen if we did that to them? What kind of treasonous reaction would they do in response to our gross anarchy? Also, if your big rig is registered out of state and you ignore all their correspondence and never bring it back out here, just what are they going to be able to do about it? Good question that deserves an answer.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #9
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: New California Law for Out of State Trucks and RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Being California, they will probably leave it to the discretion of law enforcement. A Ram 4500 is 16500.
Discretion of the state? An oxymoron if there ever was one.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #10
Jack Zimmerman

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The GVWR of a vehicle is the maximum allowable loaded weight of the vehicle which includes the curb (empty) weight of the vehicle plus all passengers and cargo AND the trailer tongue weight if there is any. The weight of the trailer itself is figured into the mix as a part of the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of the vehicle which is the allowable total weight of the connected truck and trailer. If you tow a trailer, the GCW is also the weight that the truck needs to be registered for in a lot of states in order to be legal.
Jack Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked