HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2021, 11:41 PM   #171
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Project - NHRA Stock and S/S results 61-68

"...Was Nicholson the OS/S R/U at 61 Indy with that car or dont we know?..."

In the Jr. Stock book, on p.14, it says that Proffitt "buried" Dave Strickler's 409...with an astounding 12.55. I suppose that means that Strickler was RU. Not sure. Could have been in an earlier round, I suppose.

One of the books says that Arnie Beswick won S/S. Don't mention the RU. Maybe that's the year Stan Antlocer was RU, in S/S.

Last edited by oldskool; 11-01-2021 at 12:10 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:05 AM   #172
oldskool
VIP Member

"...Any ideas?"

Yeah, I'll take a shot at it.

The 325hp 400 in a '67 Bird could come with, or without Ram Air.

Looks like the RA version has a higher NHRA hp factor. The current factor for SS looks to still be 360hp.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...5&MAKE=Pontiac

So, I'd say that if the Stocker was running class A, it was running RA, & the SS Bird was not running RA. Hey, that's my opinion & I'm stickin to it.....unless I find out I'm wrong.

"...Unless it wasnt run as a RA1 when it was R/U in SS/FA=9.50 class at 68 Pomona?..."

All he had to do was plug up the open scoops & run without the RA system.

The lower pic is a close-up of the scoop of the 1st Bird. Looks closed & painted black, to me. The Myrtle Bird is marked SS/EA. Assume it was running RA. OR, it may have just been a different year. No clue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Long SS-FA .jpg
Views:	63
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	61059   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Myrtle SS-EA .jpg
Views:	66
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	61061  
Attached Images

Last edited by oldskool; 11-01-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Liked
Old 11-01-2021, 01:48 AM   #173
DeuceCoupe

Liked 45 Times in 41 Posts

"All he had to do was plug up the open scoops & run without the RA system.

The lower pic is a close-up of the scoop of the 1st Bird. Looks closed & painted black, to me"

Great find on that picture. Not definitive but scoop sure LOOKS blocked.
And that's consistent with the 67 Bird RA1 in A/SA=8.70 class in 1967, and later 68 race year cars that only fit when factored to 360hp.

So I'm concluding:
* The RA1 was factored to the GTO's 360hp from 1967-71 at least.
* Knieper's car, though bought new as a RA1 car, just had the hood blocked when converted to SS/FA and ran at the base 325hp rating (or even the 335hp GTO Base rating, same class either way)
DeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 AM   #174
Rat Patrol

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Guys, just a side. note. - Don’t think I’m being ‘defensive’......

I was taught to explain my rationale...and fix my errors.

Sometimes my errors become a little overwhelming however...and large posts detailing a lot of ‘issues’ create a lot of workload.

That said, I really appreciate the help...just trust my research and point out the glaring errors 😆
Rat Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:16 AM   #175
Rat Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
"...Do you know what book/page that picture is from?..."

SS book p.137

Here's a couple more pics from the SS book.

#1 is a '64 GTO which was running in the AHRA F2 B/S class.

#2 is the Royal '66 C/S GTO, which ran the quickest ET in C/S, @ the '66 Winter Nats, but got a DQ because NHRA hadn't OK'd the factory RA set-up.
Ive stolen the 2nd pic mate - check my 1966 web page under ‘Disquals’.

https://skunkwerkssuperstock.wordpre...-for-the-fans/
Old 11-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #176
oldskool
VIP Member

"...point out the glaring errors..."

Don't know if that's a serious statement or just a little humor.

If it's serious, I'll have to say this: What's "glaring" to some, may be very minor, & not worth mentioning to others.

This is especially true for guys that are very familiar with a particular car brand.

For example: When you say stuff about Fords, Mopars, AMC, Olds, & Buick, most of the time, I wouldn't know if what you were saying is so, or not. I have never bothered to learn hardly anything about the details of those cars.

But, although I'm NOT a Pontiac expert, I HAVE read about, owned, raced, & wrenched on quite a few Pontiacs, since around 1964, when I first began reading about the new GTO.

As I mentioned, most Pontiac guys call the Pontiac 3-carb set-up "Tri-Power". Others may call it "3-deuces", of "trips", or "3 x 2", or whatever.

Since Chevy guys, and many others are familiar with "small block" & Big Block" Chevy engines, lots of 'em will ask a Pontiac guy if he's running a "Big Block" in his Pontiac. That usually means a 455, or maybe a 428. Those guys might consider a 400 Pontiac engine a small block. OR, some might only consider 350 & smaller Pontiac engines as small blocks. But, since most Pontiac V8's are basically the same size on the outside, Pontiac guys don't call 'em Big or small blocks, and lots of Pontiac guys will let you know about it if you refer to a Pontiac engine as a Big or small block. Some Pontiac guys are really mean about it, especially online.

As for Mopars, I know only the very basics, such as that some of the popular race engines were 340's, 360's, 383's, 413's, 426 Wedge, 426 Street Hemi, 426 Race Hemi, & 440. I know the names of a few of the car models, but can't pick all of 'em out, by just lookin at pictures. Haven't bothered to learn any more about 'em than that, & probably won't. Same goes for the other brands.

But, I'm always open to learn more about Pontiac V8 powered drag cars. And, when I see something like a Pontiac round port head being called an "oval" port, it just automatically triggers something inside that says that don't sound right. Does it really make a big difference ? NO ! Although an oval isn't perfectly round, some ovals can be almost round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oval

I suppose it's not that calling something by a wrong name is anything bad, or anything that really makes much difference, but rather it's that it makes the one who used the wrong word or term seem like they are not very knowledgeable about that particular part or subject. So, I suppose the bottom line is: If you wanna sound like you really know about something, always use the correct words or terminology, when talking about or describing something. That way, people will think you really know what your talkin about & will be more likely to believe what you say.

Example: When a guy begins the conversation asking if your Pontiac engine is a "Big Block", my 1st thought is that this guy knows very little to nothing about Pontiacs. Same would go for someone reading a book. If the author uses the wrong terminology, most readers will assume the author don't know much about that particular subject.

In your case, you don't really need to know about all the different brands of cars & the exact terminology for each brand's equipment. But, the more correct terminology you use, the more informed you'll seem, to the reader.

Therefore, if I was the author, I'd wanna get all the terminology correct, even if I never planned to learn all the details of all the different brands. So, with this in mind, if I discovered mistakes I'd made, no matter how minor, & could correct those mistakes, I'd welcome the opportunity.

Some might call that a perfectionist attitude. Well, whatever. LOTS of times I'll see mistakes I made & overlooked in a post I made. Even though the mistake is very minor & everybody reading the post will know what I meant, I'll usually edit & correct the mistake. One forum I'm on only gives you 1 hour to edit a post. I've found mistakes after that 1-hour limit. Some were so bad that I made a 2nd post, in order to point out the mistake & post the corrected info.

But, I've noticed that LOTS of guys just let their obvious posted mistakes go. Maybe those folks are just a lot busier than me & don't have time to proofread & edit posts. Then I suppose their are some who just don't care, especially if they think others will know what they meant to say.

Buy hey, I appreciate all the research you guys have done, to put all this info together !

THANKS !

"...Ive stolen the 2nd pic mate..."

I got it out of the SS book.

Last edited by oldskool; 11-01-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #177
Rat Patrol

OS- relax....some friendly banter....I’m trying to explain that 300 word responses are just too much for me to wade through.......Id much prefer a ‘ You said this, I think this’ interaction. 😉
Old 11-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #178
oldskool
VIP Member

can do short

but without explanation, some are offended
Old 11-03-2021, 02:09 AM   #179
Rat Patrol

If I disagree, or need more, I’ll explain why. 👍
Old 11-03-2021, 02:13 AM   #180
Rat Patrol

OK, re the Ben Wolfe car - can you both give me your ‘best guess’..and why ( meets class, correct year etc) .......I kinda got lost in the discussion -