HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
shockme668

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Advice for new bracket racer

I want to bracket race in a series in the Chicago area. I am new to drag racing and would like some advice on a series and racing class. I would like to run a Big block with a world block. Thanks
shockme668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Advice for new bracket racer

First off ..... Welcome

Secondly, the best advice I can give is to research your combination to ge the most performance out of it for the least ammount of $$$... Other than that dont get caught up in the trick of the week stuff, and dont get discoureged when you loose by .001, keep thinking positive, and you will do fine. Just remember out of all the cars that show up to race only one wins, I have found racing is more fun when we go just to hang out with friends, and if we go a few rounds it was a good day... If we get into the $$$ rounds it was a great day.

Build what you can afford, and have fun...
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockme668 View Post
I want to bracket race in a series in the Chicago area. I am new to drag racing and would like some advice on a series and racing class. I would like to run a Big block with a world block. Thanks
Shock me 668

Well if you want to run Pro (No electronics) a door car with large enough (the bigger the better) slicks a powerglide and a big block are a good way to go. I wouldn't recommend steet tires you need to be capable of running with in +/_.01 of your dial.
If you want to run 'Super Pro" (electronics/delay box)I would recommend a dragster. dollar for dollar they are cheaper performance wise, and the have a couple of advantages you can see better and therefore drive the finish line better, they usually leave last which gives your opponent the opportunity to redlight first and since they are light they are easier on parts. Plus most big block dragsters can race super comp at the NHRA divisional and National events Plus in the northern Illinois area there is a local series " Midwest Super Comp Series" Obviously the cost and safety /license requirements make going faster than 9.99 more expensive. And it's a bit more hassel to run a dragster by your self.

My machiniest has had some problems with world small block blocks and he claims that it's worth the money to spend a little more on a dart block.

If you have any questions you can e-mail me at Greatbaer@sbc global.net or look me up in the phone book, I live in Braidwood, IL

Last edited by Bill Baer; 10-18-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
dhmoore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh you poor thing, think about it, you what to do something that makes you mad,sad,cry,laugh,all in 11,00 sec. Or less?? Well ok...

Its your budget, stay inside your budget and have fun !!!
Dont spend alot, learn and listen, others have been there be for you.
Talk to the old guys with fast cars, but make sure hes on the up & up, around Chicago you dont know....
LISTEN AND LEARN
dhmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
shockme668

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for your advice,I know my question was vague but I am so new I don't know what questions to ask.Bill thanks for your E-mail be looking for one soon.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"slicks a powerglide and a big block are a good way to go"

If you want to WIN bracket races I swear by a powerglide 2 speed trans. NOT very exciting but hard to beat. I used to run 13.60 - 13.67 all day long. Back in 1980. Street car.
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
shockme668

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I am going to look at a 70 chevelle roller. Strange rear axle and spool 4:56, 400 trans,reverse valve body, shfter, trans break and 5500 stall. All I need is the motor and go racing. With a title.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Don't forget if you want to have fun with a big body such as a 1970Chevelle make sure you have a 8 points and more cage, having a rigid cage will stop any body twisting which will make your et more consistent but will stop you from having to replace crack transmission casing from excessive twisting(I know I sure cracked enough of them to last me a life time) if your budget allows it sell the turbo 400 and buy a powerglide. Good luck
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
rmcgill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would a powerglide work with a 70 Chevelle. Its a heavy car.. Guess it would depend on hp of engine? Probally would need at least 650 hp and with the 4:56 and 5500 stall it could work...

More people with better experience will know better then me on this one.
rmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

I had a 1969 Chevelle former super stock 427 30 0ver approximately 525hp ran the quarter in 1095 et to 1105 et depending of track, elevation and so on.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote