Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Rear lower control arm bushings 99-02 firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
And there you have it , a Heim end is a spherical bearing ,the Global West arms are spherical does not matter if its non adjustable .
Don't get me wrong , I would love to use them on my Stock customers cars, I've inquired about them as recently as earlier this year. but here is where the "East Coast vs West Coast" rule books come into play , A matter of interpretation .
I won't risk a customers DQ for what is most likely a negligible gain over a bushing.
That is crazy Tom!
NHRA Tech needs to correct their interpretation of a heim end and spherical bearing.

A heim end is not a spherical bearing; the heim end contains a spherical bearing and all heim ends are threaded and adjustable.

The Global West bars are identical in form and fit and function as the OEM bars and not adjustable. The only difference is it has a solid bushing at one end and a spherical bearing contained at the other end.

Since needle bearings in lieu of bushings are allowed as a replacement to front lower and upper control arms, what is the difference?
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts

I agree with SSdiv6 about what a Heim joint and a spherical bearing is. I did ask this question to NHRA about what a heim joint was? Heim joints are an adjustable threaded rod end. I should have gotten this in an email, but this was just an open question at that time. Have learned from my mistakes and get my question answered in emails for future discussion. My next question has to do with what is written in the rule book, a rear trailing arm my be replace with an NHRA accepted OEM type aftermarket unit. Under NHRA accepted products there is nothing list for suspension parts. So if you want to use one of these products you need to get a letter from NHRA saying it is accepted. Would be nice if they maintained a list of what has been accepted.

Is there anyone out there that has a letter from NHRA on rear control arms that has been accepted. And what is there application.

Last edited by west coast; 11-03-2020 at 07:09 AM.
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #13
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Rear lower control arm bushings 99-02 firebird

If you want to keep the stock bars,HRPARTS offer a Delrin bushing and it seems to work very well. Best of luck.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #14
Kenney Kelley

Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Shepard View Post
Right now i have stock arms and bushings, running traction bars. The stock bushings move forward and back more than I would like. I can get solid bushings, but not sure how that will affect things. What are some opinions?
Jason we had a problem like you have but our problem was with the attachment points on the frame of our G-Body car they were elongated. what I did was installed new Grade-8 Bolts and Grade 8 Washers on all the bars both ends we used a solid bar at the bottom and adjustable bars at the top I set the rear end at the ride height and checked the measurement from the back wheels to front wheels then Tacked welded the washers to the frame. We've had the rear end out since we did that and there is no sign of wear on the washers they were fender washers about 1/8-3/16 thick 2" in diameter.
Kenney Kelley
Kenney Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
I agree with SSdiv6 about what a Heim joint and a spherical bearing is. I did ask this question to NHRA about what a heim joint was? Heim joints are an adjustable threaded rod end. I should have gotten this in an email, but this was just an open question at that time. Have learned from my mistakes and get my question answered in emails for future discussion. My next question has to do with what is written in the rule book, a rear trailing arm my be replace with an NHRA accepted OEM type aftermarket unit. Under NHRA accepted products there is nothing list for suspension parts. So if you want to use one of these products you need to get a letter from NHRA saying it is accepted. Would be nice if they maintained a list of what has been accepted.

Is there anyone out there that has a letter from NHRA on rear control arms that has been accepted. And what is there application.
James, You figure it's not okay for a racer to make his own solid bushing trailing arms? I sure hope we haven't devolved to that state.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #16
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I have pressed bushings into two sets of rc arms.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote