HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Question Bench seat out buckets in?

Based on the rules could I remove my bench seat in a super stocker with a roll bar required only and in its place put in stock buckets seats out of something else? Would this be legal? They are factory bucket seats not aftermarket racing seats. I have asked a couple times and never got a direct answer.....Any thoughts.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning
Default Re: Bench seat out buckets in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
Based on the rules could I remove my bench seat in a super stocker with a roll bar required only and in its place put in stock buckets seats out of something else? Would this be legal? They are factory bucket seats not aftermarket racing seats. I have asked a couple times and never got a direct answer.....Any thoughts.

Robert
I have no answer for you just curious why you'd want to.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:

Robert
Any seat will do, as long as it is safe and securely mounted. If a Cadillac seat makes you comfy, then go for it!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Robert Simpson

Talking Re: Bench seat out buckets in?

Sean, How in the world are you? Did you get my e-mail? To answer your question the seat in dads car has always given him a little trouble with his arm hitting the back of the seat when he goes to second. The seat is as far back as we can make it. It would help to put the buckets from another car so he can get better location. Plus we have them. Latter on I would like to update the car with several things including a cage. Talk to you latter..

Robert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

In some applications, 2 bucket seats will weigh more than a bench seat!

If you look at some of the early SS "Stick cars" (ie: Marby Holt & Wolf 66 SS/M Nova wagon, and Doc Hoover / Ronnie Brigham's 66 SS/L Nova) they had upholstery shops notch out the lower portion of the bench seat pad for an in-line shifter.

I have a customer that had a local upholstery shop notch the corner of a lower bucket seat pad to accomidate a new 2" longer "Pistol grip"Long shifter in a 66 Chevelle SS

Last edited by Greg Barsamian; 01-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Tom Meyer

Liked 303 Times in 106 Posts

I have checked with my div tech man and his words were you can take out the bench and put in stock buckets with a roll bar if they were a option. You can not put aftermarket without having a cage but I have seen cars with a rollbar and aftermarket seats, It is just how your tech guy sees it. As far as the seats are for that car I think as long as it is corp and looks closes. In my case my 66 chevy II is no longer legel to run in SS/LA unless it is a ss with bucket seats and badges on the quarters grill and rear deck.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

Quote:
Sean, How in the world are you? Did you get my e-mail? To answer your question the seat in dads car has always given him a little trouble with his arm hitting the back of the seat when he goes to second. The seat is as far back as we can make it. It would help to put the buckets from another car so he can get better location. Plus we have them. Latter on I would like to update the car with several things including a cage. Talk to you latter..

Robert
Good. PM sent.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Robert Simpson

Talking Re: Bench seat out buckets in?

Tom, The last time I read the rule book it did not say anything about not being able to put stock buckets in a car that only came with a bench seat. We were just not planning on doing the full cage this year. It is a rule I don't understand anyway. A aftermarket racing bucket seat, when properly installed could/would be safer than the stock bench and alot lighter. I take it that your car fits a heavier break as a SS? I have not gotten a reply from our Tech Director yet.

We already have the seat notched for the stick. But the problem is no mater which length stick you use when you go to second we are just grazing the back of the seat with our elbow. You can't move the stick forward on the trans bracket, because you can't reach it when straped it. It is not a big deal just trying to make the car more comfortable.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Simpson; 01-08-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Incorrect statement
Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Robert Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean haning View Post
good. Pm sent.

back at you.

Robert
Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #10