HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #81
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: DP #24 Engine failure....

Drooze...next time you should consider Calico coated bearings.
You can buy them directly from Calico.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.573180/sc.2/.f

I checked their website for availability, but it appears a lot of those Hemi's have been coming apart since they are out-of-stock...
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #82
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post

I checked their website for availability, but it appears a lot of those Hemi's have been coming apart since they are out-of-stock...
funny guy, maybe a politician? joking,lol.
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #83
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post

Only 2 others than our 2 that I know have come apart, and another was "close" on that one its rods got all out of round.

We are responsible for 50% of the DP Motor failures Hey its a record of some sort. I was talking with someone "in the know" last night and we decided to go very similar in route with what he is doing on the bottom, sucess breed succes right. We were at the same point really and didnt know it till I talked with him, so I guess us and his motor builder came to the same conclusion through different paths.

This one may come apart too....but the next....that one will stay up.

To leave you a quote from Monty Python Quest for the Holy Grail.

From the King in the Swamp talking to his son.
"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. "

Thats kinda how we live our lives around here....it works, it may not be the easy route but it works....and we LEARN how to build damm strong castles.

Were gonna have the fastest and strongest DP out there in spite of ourselves.....eventually Unless it burns down and sinks into the swamp, but if it does then well build another one.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #84
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

learning how not to do something is as important as learning how to do it.
If you are at the track and you find out something doesn't work, it can help you as much as something that worked
Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #85
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So Chris, I take it your using the newly accepted Manley rods with the 5.7 OEM Diamond pistons?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #86
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidup View Post
So Chris, I take it your using the newly accepted Manley rods with the 5.7 OEM Diamond pistons?
Yep....and some additional head gasket layers.....length is a bit long.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #87
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup. That bit long was one of my concerns all along. The OEM Scat rod @ 6.20" center to center compared to Manley's approved 6.24" connecting rod now put's your 5.7 OEM Diamond zero deck piston's .040" out of the hole. If my math fiqures out correctly, you'll now need a .066" head gasket for your 5.7 to be legal. Factor in the additional .040" head gasket thickness and you now have a missmatch between your intake and head port. Stick a boroscope down one of the intake runners and you'll see. Wouldn't be a problem if you could alter the port missmatch with a little grinding. Also, by moving the head further away from the block will create new problems with lifter preload if your still using OEM pushrod's which may (?) lead to valve float @ rpm. Plus your .035" bearing clearance has me worried. Afterall, your not building an aluminum rod motor. I don't know if your oil pump can keep up with that, plus the oil flow deadheads at the lifters. Catch my drift?

I felt the need to post this cause most times when we talk, you always seem to be in high gear when I'm just starting to get off the line. I get confused easily as you can tell. Must be my age. lol

Last edited by hemidup; 04-09-2010 at 11:22 PM.
hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #88
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 262 Posts

Drooze,
The way I've always read the rule books a Stocker engine has to be built by blueprint specs. I'm of the opinion you can't just stack up .066 gaskets to get piston to head clearance and be legal. There have to be some specs on the engine as to piston above the deck or below the deck. The way tech has treated me is if the spec calls for below the deck it can be at zero deck and below, not above. If it calls for above the deck it has to be above the deck. What gives? Are you just throwing out all the rules and doing as you please or is someone letting or telling you to overlook the rules becaue you are a DP owner? Are you posting on here how you are building an engine that won't get through tech? I think that would be the last thing I would be posting.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #89
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Drooze,
The way I've always read the rule books a Stocker engine has to be built by blueprint specs. I'm of the opinion you can't just stack up .066 gaskets to get piston to head clearance and be legal. There have to be some specs on the engine as to piston above the deck or below the deck. The way tech has treated me is if the spec calls for below the deck it can be at zero deck and below, not above. If it calls for above the deck it has to be above the deck. What gives? Are you just throwing out all the rules and doing as you please or is someone letting or telling you to overlook the rules becaue you are a DP owner? Are you posting on here how you are building an engine that won't get through tech? I think that would be the last thing I would be posting.
Drooze,
Adger is correct. I have read many of your posts and although you may have some experience with motorcycle and car engine building, a legal engine for Stock or Super Stock takes a bit more of not only knowledge, but also experience.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #90
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Drooze,
Drooze has a totally legal engine using the newly accepted NHRA Manley 6.240" rod's, OEM Diamond pistons with .066" head gaskets. Quensh is still far from perfect.

Last edited by hemidup; 04-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.
hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote