HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #21
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: Good news! R&P Steering legal in SS/AH

While we're writing letters, I'm going to petition NHRA for a pro charger to bolt on the front of my Hemi. Much safer on my wallet to make 1050hp.......[/QUOTE]

Let me write it, I am good at it. Phish
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #22
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Phish, I hope your car doesn't sell. You crack me up and I do believe its personalities like yours that help make the SS/AH class what it is! Love it and LMAO!!

And I have no problem with you writing a letter and asking for your wishes. I am just flabbergasted NHRA makes a rule change as big as that off of 1 letter. Where was the SRAC email or maybe poll the SS/AH racers at Indy. Let majority rule. Let those that are actively participating decide their own fate. I've stated I don't like the rule change because it bastardizes the Super Stock class. Why does NHRA decide the fate of the class on 1 letter especially when it appears to lead the category down the wrong path.

The Hemi racers went down this road some years back with the Hemi head debacle. We learned then that there was no turning back and the class still suffers from the wrath of that rule controversy. This Rack and Pinion deal will be the same way, the big question is where do we draw the line and say enough is enough? Maybe the ratio of racers entering the class changes more favorably to racers leaving
Old 11-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #23
James Hensler

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

Ok they allowed the R&P but without aftermarket spindles no one is going to change! I have personally talked to several and they all said the same thing NO WAY IM CHANGING

Saying don’t let us run the eliminator is laughable! GT cars have had this **** since jump street

Last edited by James Hensler; 11-23-2022 at 09:55 PM.
James Hensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #24
Dyno

Liked 605 Times in 177 Posts

The rule change was not because of one letter from Phish. We (many SS/AH racers) requested some changes for safety reasons to NHRA 5-6 years ago. I am not aware of any requests to NHRA recently. I believe that there is an underlying rule change to the class coming, Starts with a "D"., but because the drag link goes through the oil pan , it really is not feasible. Moving the steering linkage forward, it would solve this issue. If anyone thinks this change will affect the Superstock class, look around at the GT and Modified classes and what is allowed and explain this to us! QA1 makes a great front subframe for the class to run, mine is on order. (LOL). Dyno. Dan Zrust SS/AH and A/SA.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:20 PM   #25
Spyphish

Dan is right. In 2009 when my car was built a group had signed a letter about steering etc. My Aug. email was answered as " we are already considering it". Thanks for the ego trip, thinking I am somebody. Phish

Considering being head of PGA. New rule, your ball lands on the green, pick ball up, add 1 stroke, move on.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #26
SSDA Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hensler View Post
Ok they allowed the R&P but without aftermarket spindles no one is going to change! I have personally talked to several and they all said the same thing NO WAY IM CHANGING
James, reread Spy's post above. He IS updating to R$P as will others. Get ready as soon as they show its worth something besides safety..... Keeping up with the Joneses or eat their dust......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
look around at the GT and Modified classes and what is allowed and explain this to us! QA1 makes a great front subframe for the class to run, mine is on order. (LOL). Dyno. Dan Zrust SS/AH and A/SA.
Dan as I stated in my first post, my buddy runs a '60 corvette in modified and has to run stock steering and "safety"?!! More like "antiquated"!! Modified I could see allowing a Rack as others. SS/AH is like the Thunderbolts and RO51 cars, built specifically for Super Stock and traditional SS is massaged as was built from factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyphish View Post
Dan is right. In 2009 when my car was built a group had signed a letter about steering etc. My Aug. email was answered as " we are already considering it". Thanks for the ego trip, thinking I am somebody. Phish

Considering being head of PGA. New rule, your ball lands on the green, pick ball up, add 1 stroke, move on.
The SS/AH players at the front has changed significantly since 2009. More left than returned and did they leave due to a safety issue over the steering box or linkage? Or ? Many competitive SS/AH cars just parked, some for sale some.... getting antiquated over R&D hp developments or now R$P updates.....

What is the real safety issue here, fear of broken steering box or centerlink through oil pan. I addressed the weak box issue, if its centerlink through oil pan everyone with that application should be fearful and needs this update.

If this rule change was along the lines of SS racing I could stomach it. The days of "everyone gets a trophy" are not acceptable to me. Changing ball on green, Rack and pinion, Hell, lets rewrite the 10 commandments and let me have some fun with the neighbors model wife while we're at it......
Old 11-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #27
SSDA Hemi

I will race SS/AH regardless of this rule change. Concentrate on the eliminator and hopefully bucket list drive in Hemi parade. Thanks NHRA!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #28
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDA Hemi View Post
James, reread Spy's post above. He IS updating to R$P as will others. Get ready as soon as they show its worth something besides safety..... Keeping up with the Joneses or eat their dust......

Dan as I stated in my first post, my buddy runs a '60 corvette in modified and has to run stock steering and "safety"?!! More like "antiquated"!! Modified I could see allowing a Rack as others. SS/AH is like the Thunderbolts and RO51 cars, built specifically for Super Stock and traditional SS is massaged as was built from factory.

The SS/AH players at the front has changed significantly since 2009. More left than returned and did they leave due to a safety issue over the steering box or linkage? Or ? Many competitive SS/AH cars just parked, some for sale some.... getting antiquated over R&D hp developments or now R$P updates.....

What is the real safety issue here, fear of broken steering box or centerlink through oil pan. I addressed the weak box issue, if its centerlink through oil pan everyone with that application should be fearful and needs this update.

If this rule change was along the lines of SS racing I could stomach it. The days of "everyone gets a trophy" are not acceptable to me. Changing ball on green, Rack and pinion, Hell, lets rewrite the 10 commandments and let me have some fun with the neighbors model wife while we're at it......
Bubski would like to say Bravo !! A man that makes sense !! Bubski would also like to say first and foremost !! Make it illegal to grind , butcher , whatever to your STEERING BOX its a critical component of your vehicle for yours and everyone else's safety !! Don't treat it like your Stocker heads and intake !! leave it the way it was designed and brace it accordingly !! If the thought of ultimate center link failure still haunts you !! Maybe you can install a steel tube in the pan to protect it !! Bubski's thinking most OEM center links are tougher than the hinges of Hell ,and the rods if they do exit the block come out along the length of it not perpendicular to it so as to cut it in half !! Lots of SS cars have center links thru pans and Bubski can't ever recall a steering failure due to engine breakage in the past !! Bubski's sure if it happened in the past this topic would've already been on Class Racer asking for a change for that combo !! Isn't it just good common sense and financially sound to leave the steering unmodified as produced and just go racing ?? Cheers !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #29
James Hensler

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

I saw that Hebert is going to try to switch over I’m just really interested as to how they intend to deal with the stock spindles.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #30
Spyphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hensler View Post
i saw that hebert is going to try to switch over i’m just really interested as to how they intend to deal with the stock spindles.
classified
Liked