HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 11-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
StompNDump

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default New to SG 9.90 racing and need some info

So ive purchased a SG car and I am looking to get my feet wet in this class. Unfortunately I know nothing and have done my research online but Im still confused on some points. I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I have my license and car all up to date certified and ready to go. My next step would be to obtain grade points from what I understand. My goal is to get enough to make a national with my son and family so they can experience it. How many grade points would be needed to get into a SG field at a national event? Are there any open national events that would let me in? I live right between Div 2 and Div 4.
StompNDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: New to SG 9.90 racing and need some info

Unfortunately there isn't a black and white answer to your question. When registration opens for each national event, racers with 8 or more grade points are able to register. Each Wednesday at 8:00 am Pacific, registration opens to the next grade level. So one week after opening, the grade 7 and above drivers can register. I believe it is 2-3 weeks prior to the event that it finally opens to grade 1 drivers. But, when it is full it is full.

It really comes down to the popularity of the event. You probably need 5 or more to get into Gainesville. Atlanta or Charlotte, maybe 1 or 2 will do.

Of course, what I said above about 'when it is full it is full' does have exceptions. If the weather forecast is bad, or cars experience breakage there are likely to be withdrawals as the event draws near. If you pay attention to the registration site, you can often find an opening for an event that had previously been full.

The only 'national event' you can enter without grade points is the Sportsnationals in Columbus. You run for national event points but there aren't any nitro cars there, so that may or may not satisfy your requirement.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
StompNDump

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Just have to get the registration site and keep an eye on it.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 982 Times in 298 Posts

D2 normally runs Opens as back to back races to get more cars but, they normally do those races during the summer as D2 usually runs all the divisional races from Jan-April and then Sept & Oct due to the hot summers.

I would try to run Orlando, SGMP, No Problem Raceway and Gainesville to at least get a few grade points. Gainesville National will probably require a Grade 6 or higher as a lot of the East Coast guys run down at run the "Baby" Gators and Gators. Normally Bristol, Atlanta & Charlotte (If you want to go that far) don't fill up till late. Norwalk, Gainesville, Houston, Chicago, Pomona and Maple Grove are usually the most popular with guys and fills up fast.

I would also get all the items set-up to enter and get that out of the way, you have to get a notarized letter signed and mailed to California in which you then have to set up a Password and User Name to sign up and then can enter when your time comes up.

Good Luck with everything!
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
StompNDump

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have heard the tech cards are sometimes a pain to fill out. How serious are they about having all your SFI numbers? I mean I dont have the one off of the flywheel.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompNDump View Post
I have heard the tech cards are sometimes a pain to fill out. How serious are they about having all your SFI numbers? I mean I dont have the one off of the flywheel.
You should crawl under the car with a flexplate turner and flashlight to get it.

On the items that must have a current SFI cert, you will need the number and expiration date. Have your tech card filled out completely and just generally have your "stuff" together and it is a very easy process.

The only SFI numbers on my card are for transmission shield, flexplate shield, flexplate, and chassis cert number.

NHRA has a fillable PDF copy of the tech card. I filled it out on my computer and printed out a bunch of copies. When I get to the race, I only sign and date the "official" tech card and hand that to the tech inspector along with my printed paper copy with all of the information on it. Saves a bunch of time.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post

NHRA has a fillable PDF copy of the tech card. I filled it out on my computer and printed out a bunch of copies. When I get to the race, I only sign and date the "official" tech card and hand that to the tech inspector along with my printed paper copy with all of the information on it. Saves a bunch of time.
Great idea. Can the fillable tech cards also be used for divisionals?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

sure, i print out about 15 of them at the beginning of the year, keep them in my weather station computer bag
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Lenny5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Great idea. Can the fillable tech cards also be used for divisionals?
As Keith already stated, yes you can.

I was trying to find a download link, but these instructions were the best I could find:

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...752&zoneid=175

I do have a blank copy saved that I could email also.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
StompNDump

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How many years do you have on Trans, and flexplate?