Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Current rules you’d like to see enforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bohannon View Post
LT1 and L98 racers honest .......doesn't your car have a throttle body too?
Yes. Why?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Gump just out of curiosity why no chillers in the lanes?
Because it's written that way in the rulebook.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #23
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,080 Times in 769 Posts

As I stated in an earlier post I see photos of cars that sit low on a 9x30 race tire that back in the day you couldn't never fit a L60-15 under.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #24
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,788 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
As I stated in an earlier post I see photos of cars that sit low on a 9x30 race tire that back in the day you couldn't never fit a L60-15 under.
That has more to do with moving the shock than narrowing the rear! I don't much care if the rear is narrowed a bit but moving the shocks and/or springs and wheel tubs, I've got a problem with.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #25
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

All of them, if they are rules, then enforce them !!!!!!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #26
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
That has more to do with moving the shock than narrowing the rear! I don't much care if the rear is narrowed a bit but moving the shocks and/or springs and wheel tubs, I've got a problem with.
I didn't realize there are cars that actually can not fit a 9" tire in the wheel well without narrowing the rear. I guess they have lower control arms or shocks so close to the housing ends that an offset wheel won't help them get that 9" tire under there.

Just trying to understand how a rear being 2" narrower than factory has any sort of advantage.

Obviously modifying the wheel tub area should be a HUGE no-no! I know how guys mini tub a first gen Camaro/Firebird and it all looks "stock" but is far from it! I see this done on Bracket Cars, not NHRA Stockers.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #27
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Ever since automobile racing began racers have tried to "streeeeeetch" the rules. Some have used the excuse that since it "wasn't forbidden" in the rules then it must be legal, only to have the ruling body then institute a rule that "X" was no longer going to be allowed so it is illegal.
Many if not most drag racers have at one time or another "fudged" on the rules . Some have been caught while others have escaped unharmed never to be caught or maybe caught at a later date. Some have been more blatant in their actions than others and some have been very successful in avoiding getting caught.
The way I see it is if the rule specifically allows or does not allow a modification or variation of the current rule then it is either legal or illegal, acceptable or unacceptable . Just because you or another racer avoided being "caught" with it no matter how much time has passed doesn't make it OK.
Some people's moral compass deosnt let "cheating" bother them in the slightest while others would never consider doing something and always "go by the book".The fact that NHRA Tech doesn't look at every possible violation or questionable modification doesn't mean that its OK to continue on doing it. The rule book in the past said that if something is not specifically prohibited that does not mean that it is OK to do. Its a matter of interpretation and NHRA has the final say so on what is or is not legal, acceptable etc.
I think that there is blatant cheating by a very small group of racers maybe hopefully just a few at this point that just have not been found out about, most racers are basically honest and forthright in their racing activities and equipment and then a very few at the other end of the scale that would never consider anything the really squeaky clean racers.
At the end of the day you have to ask yourself if what you did was legal or illegal and if it doesn't bother you that it was illegal then you have to live with yourself and feel really proud that what you accomplished by cheating another racer to win was OK. Some people it never bothers as they have no conscience and just go on their merry way in life.
Not sure how Tech is going to police the situation in the future but for now the racing community has to do its part to call out the perpetrators and let them know that this is not going to be allowed fix it or you will be reported/protested etc. Maybe some fines or a vacation from racing will get the point across to those that just "don't get it or don't want to play by the rules"

My 2 cents FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I used to have guys tell me "Well, the rule book does not say we can't do that!"
I may need to look at a new one, but for years, right in the front, it stated that the rules were presented in a positive manor, meaning unless it states that you can do something, it is not allowed.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #29
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Gump
I believe the rule states no pushing or cooling of cars past the head of staging lanes. I was told by NHRA head of staging lanes is the start line just before the burn out box. I know this because NHRA and myself got in a Disagreement about this three or four years ago in brainerd and they told me I was right afterwards.
This is same line your dial in must be on before you enter the burnout box, I believe the one at Indy is about 20 feet behind the burn out box (like most tracks) I have never seen anyone running a cooling box past that line.

Captain I have no problem with you running a turbo glide that’s what the car came with. But a turbo glide is about as close to a 200 metric or 350 turbo as a 9inch ford rear end is to a 12 gm bolt rear end.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 11-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #30
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,609 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
Why? Is there something to be gained by changing the housing width?
Mr. cm, when I started racing over 40 years ago NO 66 Chevy nova could fit a 9 inch tire under the car...NOW, they all can...I know for a fact that the 9 inch tire didn’t get narrower ,.....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote