HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #21
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Where did the FWD stockers go?

It completely slipped my mind that I have a dog in this fight. I ran a bone-stock 1982 Dodge Aries sedan in Y/SA as a one-shot deal at the 1982 NHRA WCS points race at Englishtown. The car ran at least a second over the index and I went out against Dave LeBrun in round one. I believe the car was pictured in the July 1982 issue of SS&DI.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Thanks for the chuckle Mr Derby City, but I am curious as to why Jim and Mark's class designations were listed with all caps, but Mark/Alex and mine weren't listed as DF/S? Haha

I have a few more for this thread:
1. Larry Dowty raced a Pontiac Grand Am in Super Stock, but I think it's either sold, or for sale.
2. Randy Hyman raced a Citation Stocker, but sold it and has been racing a Chevy Truck for about 2yrs.
3. Stan Kopejtka, also has/had an Aries Stocker.
4. I don't remember the guys name, but I faced (and got dusted by) a Dodge Daytona Turbo, back in the early 2000's when my combo was factored too hard (B&CF/SA). That car was street legal, and had Colorado plates on it to prove it.
5. Gary Gokey has his turbo Dodge Omni still, and he might bring it back out of storage, but I am not sure?
6. Lisa Stephenson has her Olds Delta 88 Stocker, but I think it's for sale too....
Number 4 Was. Eric Georges from highlands ranch Colorado .
Liked
Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Where did the FWD stockers go?

Don't forget the Cadillac I ran for 18 years and held The AF/SA ,BF/SA, CF/SA, and DF/SA records for years! Qualified #1 at Indy until the last Q session in 1989 I believe and won class at Indy in '89 and '90 against those tough under factored Oldsmobiles! The Caddy is parked in TN. and the Spirit that I got from Artie was sold right after I bought the Volare' from George Wieduch and was completely redone but has been parked for several years. That car is still deadly. Both the Caddy and the Spirit were Giant Killers, just ask Bob Reed. I still have my SRT4 Neon and could be raced tomorrow if I wanted to. Had lots of fun times with those "little boy cars"! And that's what its about, right? Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,594 Times in 1,284 Posts

If my memory is correct the Stephenson family FWD was the former Tom Kasch car. Appropriately named The GIANT KILLER it was driven by numerous family members and one Kyle Riley. The car was sold a few years ago and the last that I heard was it has been sitting with a broken trans...Of course only 1 racer has won a National Event in a FWD and that racer is......Our very own race promoter/ torque converter technician Mark "teddy" Yacavone.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
If my memory is correct the Stephenson family FWD was the former Tom Kasch car. Appropriately named The GIANT KILLER it was driven by numerous family members and one Kyle Riley. The car was sold a few years ago and the last that I heard was it has been sitting with a broken trans...Of course only 1 racer has won a National Event in a FWD and that racer is......Our very own race promoter/ torque converter technician Mark "teddy" Yacavone.
1986 summer nationals race finished on a monday.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz View Post
It completely slipped my mind that I have a dog in this fight. I ran a bone-stock 1982 Dodge Aries sedan in Y/SA as a one-shot deal at the 1982 NHRA WCS points race at Englishtown. The car ran at least a second over the index and I went out against Dave LeBrun in round one. I believe the car was pictured in the July 1982 issue of SS&DI.

Thanks to an eBay seller, I was able to obtain a picture of the page in SS&DI. This car probably predates any other FWD car mentioned in this thread.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #27
TOM KASCH
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 100 Posts

I have to have more runs in a FWD car than anyone, maybe 900.
Race a 80 Omni at the 83 nationals

a Paul Rossi Dodge Charger in 84 & 85
"" "" "" 600 86 & 87

got a Olds deal in 88, the Delta 88 that Kyle Riley bought from us , he sold it to the Stephenson and now John Riley in Fla has it
Then got a OLDs Toronado in 90 ,Tony our son ran the 88 in 92 & 94
Last raced the Toronado in 2003 sold to Mike { puff daddy] Carr in Ohio he still has it.

Last edited by TOM KASCH; 02-11-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: last name added
TOM KASCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Where did the FWD stockers go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM KASCH View Post
I have to have more runs in a FWD car than anyone, maybe 900.
Race a 80 Omni at the 83 nationals

a Paul Rossi Dodge Charger in 84 & 85
"" "" "" 600 86 & 87

got a Olds deal in 88, the Delta 88 that Kyle Riley bought from us , he sold it to the Stephenson and now John Riley in Fla has it
Then got a OLDs Toronado in 90 ,Tony our son ran the 88 in 92 & 94
Last raced the Toronado in 2003 sold to Mike { puff daddy] in Ohio he still has it.
John bought one of my race125 transmissions from the Caddy last year and is preparing to bring the car out soon I think. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #29
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Thanks for the chuckle Mr Derby City, but I am curious as to why Jim and Mark's class designations were listed with all caps, but Mark/Alex and mine weren't listed as DF/S? Haha

I have a few more for this thread:
1. Larry Dowty raced a Pontiac Grand Am in Super Stock, but I think it's either sold, or for sale.
2. Randy Hyman raced a Citation Stocker, but sold it and has been racing a Chevy Truck for about 2yrs.
3. Stan Kopejtka, also has/had an Aries Stocker.
4. I don't remember the guys name, but I faced (and got dusted by) a Dodge Daytona Turbo, back in the early 2000's when my combo was factored too hard (B&CF/SA). That car was street legal, and had Colorado plates on it to prove it.
5. Gary Gokey has his turbo Dodge Omni still, and he might bring it back out of storage, but I am not sure?
6. Lisa Stephenson has her Olds Delta 88 Stocker, but I think it's for sale too....
Larry Dowty either sold or scrapped his S/S FWD Quad 4 Pontiac Grand Am several years ago. Larry then built a 94 or 95 302 Mustang for, I believe, O/SA. He ran that for a while, sold it, and I havent seen him for a few years now.
Liked
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
larry dowty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

hi rory i did sell the quad 4 to a guy in ohio and the mustang went to a guy in vegas still watch all the post for fun no dog in the fight anymore
larry dowty