dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: Index Change Rumor

what would happen if they.

1 lower the trigger to .850 Under for a review,

2 1.00 on automatic hits

3 lower the average to .650

4 leave the index alone

would it change any thing in the long run or would we be back to where we now in a few years

Last edited by dartman; 11-28-2019 at 12:00 PM.
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #153
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

If you can eat nachos and drink a beer while playing it is not a sport.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #154
1matcoman

Liked 281 Times in 111 Posts
Talking Re: Index Change Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Top Fuel is full contact.
That's funny, right there......
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #155
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Guys, Let me apologize , right up front here. I have seen the error of my ways.
I've learned a lot from this thread.
Majority seems to want heads up runs, everywhere. Nat's, Div's and local series races.
Again, the majority seems to want the indexes to never be lowered. It brings in lots of new blood to the "sport".
So, hear me out.
If some is good, more is better, right? More's Law.
I think we should ADD five tenths to all indexes.. so then, instant hp would be 1.70 under . Of course the AFX cars need some room at the top, plus too many 1.20 teardowns lately, so let's move the trigger up 2 /10's . That would then make 1.89 seconds difference, between what NHRA says a legal car should run, and what they really run. Sounds reasonable to me.
But think about it the advantages here. A young guy with a family could now afford to build a Stocker that would pass tech. He could now afford the $900 converters, $3800+ transmissions, $1200 pistons, $12 gas, $360 entries, and so on ..
Plus there would be more guys out there to beat up on in heads up runs or class.
Also , more guys to run the class averages down.
As another bonus, there would be more room to work the ladders however you'd like.
So , what do you think?

Sorry I didn't see the light earlier.

Happy Turkey Day

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 11-28-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Ladders..not indexes.Sorry again
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #156
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts

Interesting idea to add 5 to all indexes.

How about a two tier Index system. Lower the current Index's 3. Then add back 6 or 7 for the second, high index for each class.

When you enter a race you identify your index choice. Must run that index for the race.

Qualifing ladder is base off the lower index number for each class.

No HP penalties under 1.20. Mandatory tear down 1.20 under or more.

Happy Thanksgiving

Steve Teeter. STK. 6380 /6283
SDT1DYI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #157
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Majority seems to want heads up runs, everywhere. Nat's, Div's and local series races.
Again, the majority seems to want the indexes to never be lowered. It brings in lots of new blood to the "sport".
So, hear me out.
I think we should ADD five tenths to all indexes.. so then, instant hp would be 1.70 under . Of course the AFX cars need some room at the top, plus too many 1.20 teardowns lately, so let's move the trigger up 2 /10's . That would then make 1.89 seconds difference, between what NHRA says a legal car should run, and what they really run. Sounds reasonable to me.
But think about it the advantages here. A young guy with a family could now afford to build a Stocker that would pass tech. He could now afford the $900 converters, $3800+ transmissions, $1200 pistons, $12 gas, $360 entries, and so on ..
Plus there would be more guys out there to beat up on in heads up runs or class.
As another bonus, there would be more room to work the indexes however you'd like.
So , what do you think?

Happy Turkey Day
Mark I dont know if you're serious here,or just messin with us. But I totally agree and I'll give you a real life example.
Before I bought my first LT1 F body legal stocker, I had a street version of the same car. 96 Z28 6 sp manual I found the car on a used car lot it was rough and had been neglected but it ran like hell and the AC worked and it was cheap this car would probably go about 14:10 maybe a little faster.
One day I got the idea it would make a great stocker with a metric trans,.so after some investigation I was shocked it would be a natural C/SA and would have to run at least 11:40. Had the index been 11:90 I would have broke the tool box out and gotten to work.
And it would have been way cheaper than the car I did buy.
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #158
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Take a dive on a pass and that is your new gauge index for the entire year. Go .3 faster or more then the dive ET you took and receive HP. The dive ET will not be as slow now compared in years past and correction will happen sooner and averages will be faster. Otherwise being punished for going to slow and diving to keep HP protected.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #159
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,625 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
So, hear me out.
As another bonus, there would be more room to work the ladders however you'd like.
So , what do you think?

Happy Turkey Day
Mark, I think you are onto something here. I mean , it is almost the year 2020....lets just do away with the indexes and run off 1/4 second breaks...kinda like nostalgia superstock....Winner gets 500 bucks, r/u gets 250 and everyone gets a participation trophy...this will allow the Eliminator to be more DIVERSE and we won’t hurt anyone’s feelings...sound familiar ????
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #160
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Mark, I think you are onto something here. I mean , it is almost the year 2020....lets just do away with the indexes and run off 1/4 second breaks...kinda like nostalgia superstock....Winner gets 500 bucks, r/u gets 250 and everyone gets a participation trophy...this will allow the Eliminator to be more DIVERSE and we won’t hurt anyone’s feelings...sound familiar ????
How about the guys with the really big stackers and Renegades get taxed to cover the purse as well? They are the 1% after all and NHRA gets to keep all the gate and entries, win/win.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote