HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Does AHFS need to work more?
Leave the AHFS alone and keep doing things as we have been. 34 37.36%
Adjust the rules of the AHFS in an effort to more quickly fix fast combinations 57 62.64%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #21
B/S 428

Liked 124 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: AHFS Change

Sorry for my confusion but has anyone looked at the new nhra ahfs rules posted 9/28/22? It plainly says no mineshaft, no automatic HP, all runs count for year end average. So please chime in, the way I'm reading this is I can run as fast as I want 1.20+ under as many times as I want as long as my average is under .850 at the end of the year? Brian Seaberg

Last edited by B/S 428; 12-01-2022 at 12:15 PM.
B/S 428 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #22
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
Sorry for my confusion but has anyone looked at the new nhra ahfs rules posted 9/28/22? It plainly says no mineshaft, no automatic HP, all runs count for year end average. So please chime in, the way I'm reading this is I can run as fast as I want 1.20+ under as many times as I want as long as my average is under .850 at the end of the year? Brian Seaberg
That may not be written in stone yet....
Old 12-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #23
Mike Volkman

Liked 491 Times in 46 Posts
Cool Re: AHFS Change

Three things I'm confident in:

1. Applaud NHRA for reaching out to SRAC to bring needed changes to the AHFS system rather than just doing - which they have the authority to do. It looks like changes for 2023 are attempt to do so but prob reacting now to some neg feedback.

2. Change is needed to bring those combinations (not individuals who can or cant run the number) that are way out in left field - either direction - back into line in a quicker period of time. Need to define left field and it is different for stock and ss. Shouldn't - my opinion - hurt those in the 1-1.20 range in ss and 1-1.30 range in stock - again my opinion - who do run balls to the wall. (Trivia - balls to the wall is an old rail road expression. Had mechanical governor that incorporated balls on the end of a string and centrifugal force that would limit throttle travel verses stk/ss with restrictor plates, computer programs, additional weight, claim a diff year/combo, heavy oil, stop screws, timing, shift schedules, bias tires - im sure i missed several )

3. Not everyone will be happy with anything they do and I would hope racers would support what is good for the stock and super stock community and not their individual agendas - racers and those on SRAC - and
i would hope majority and not just the squeaky wheels is considered.

Vollkman

Last edited by Mike Volkman; 12-01-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #24
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
Brian, part of NHRA's proposal was to move the automatic trigger to 1.4 under as well as no mineshaft, no exemption for Indy and runs slower than .649 under not included towards your average. There was no mention of changing the 1.00 under or the .850 average triggers. NHRA asked for SRAC input regarding the AHFS, again, but the final decisions are made by NHRA. NHRA knows the AHFS needs changes to work better but if a racer hears it might affect their combo, they scream foul. The little survey at the top of the page is interesting, does show that so far, 2/3 of the racers do support enhancing the AHFS.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #25
jmantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
I must be missing something, what survey?
Jim, there is the one at the top of the page. There never was one sent out to all the racers.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #26
jmantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gullett View Post
System needs to change. My combo 68 Nova 327/275 stick made 32 runs this year. My G average is .824 14 runs. F average .869 3 triggers 18 runs. Overall average .849 32 runs. I'll be getting 4 hp I'm sure. I'm the only one that runs this combo in a 68 Nova.
The 350/255 Camaro has 19 triggers 281 runs. .745 overall average. No HP will be added. 19 triggers many just below the 1.20 under. Mine were a few thou over the one second under. I'm just using the 350 combo as an example and its nothing against anyone who runs it. Whether it gets HP or not doesn't affect me. My point is with a heavily populated combo it can lower the average very easily. Racers like myself don't have that luxury. And I'm not the only one in this boat. 3 triggers and I get HP. 19 triggers doesn't. The 2 don't add up. Just my opinion.
Hi Bob, welcome to the club. If I run my car as a 79, I think I'm it. NHRA's proposal to not count any runs under .649 towards the average may help bring some of the more heavily populated averages up.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #27
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
Brian, part of NHRA's proposal was to move the automatic trigger to 1.4 under as well as no mineshaft, no exemption for Indy and runs slower than .649 under not included towards your average. There was no mention of changing the 1.00 under or the .850 average triggers. NHRA asked for SRAC input regarding the AHFS, again, but the final decisions are made by NHRA. NHRA knows the AHFS needs changes to work better but if a racer hears it might affect their combo, they scream foul. The little survey at the top of the page is interesting, does show that so far, 2/3 of the racers do support enhancing the AHFS.
Jim, As Div 6 SRAC Rep, could you share with all The Div 6 Stk and SS competitor's, who was contacted for there input in this matter back earlier in the AHFS change process?
I know I was never contacted and several others are saying the same thing.
AHFS changes are very important to everyone, and I think I can say, all competitors would if liked to had input.
After re-reading NHRA 9-28- 2022 post on NHRA Racer.com , I have to say it's a done deal and the rules are changing as of Jan 1st 2023. For Better or Worse .

Steve Teeter Stk/SS 620, B/SA, G/SA ,M/SA
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote