HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Good recipes to try

I posted this last week, here they are again.

~Nacho's. This isn't an original idea. It's actually a take-off of the "Dick Mango Nachos" at the Youngstown Sports Grille in Boardman.

-One pound (or a little less) of ground beef or ground chuck
-One 22 ounce jar of Tostitos Salsa con Queso
-One one ounce packet of Taco seasoning
-Tortilla chips

Heat the cheese in a crock pot for approximately thirty minutes. Brown the meat in a skillet, when it's nearly all browned, add in the taco seasoning. Add the meat to the cheese in the crock pot. Let go another 15-30 minutes, then serve. You can either pour the mixture over the chips, or serve it as a dip on the side. You an refridgerate and re-use any left over mix for up to three-four days.

Also, at the YSG, they took the beef and chips, covered with shredded cheese and either baked or broiled in the oven. Works just as well, but I prefer my way.

~Chicken. One packet of McCormick Grill Mates Zesty Herb marinade and two-2 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken. Breasts or Tenders will both work. Follow the directions on the packet. Makes really good chicken. You do it in a large casserole dish in the oven, or in an aluminum foil packet on the grill. On the grill, do not do it on high heat, do it on medium to meduim-high. Goes great with baked potatoe and salad. Instead of potatoes, I also recomend Knorr (formerly Lipton) side dishes as an alternative.

~Pasta and meatballs. If you don't feel like making home made sauce or meatballs, I recomend Gia Russa meatballs and Del Grosso meat-flavored sauce (not sure if they are available everywhere, you can get them several places in eastern OH/western PA). Both are excellent. To complement them, try this. A loaf of Italian Bread (sliced or un-sliced, doesn't matte). Butter them on one side, add parsley flakes and garlic salt, and put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler under medium to medium high until they begin to toast. Makes awesome toasted garlic bread.

~Burgers, hoagie steaks, cube steaks, sirloin steaks, etc. Cover lightly on both sides with onion powder, garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning. Awesome flavor. If you get the large hoagie steaks, you can cut them in half, longways, and serve them on hoage buns with grilled onions and/or peppers, pickles and any sauces you would want (steak sauce, mustard, ketchup or any/all of the above).

The nachos are great for gameday or raceday. For drinks, instead of beer or pop, try Crystal Light Rasberry Ice or Fruit Punch. Diet ice tea is good also. Sorry, but I don't have any recipes for alchoholic drinks. I'm sure vodka or any other licqour would work great for a mixed drink. Try these sometime and let me know what you think. :~)

Chicken noodle soup:
-three cans of chicken broth
-four-five chicken boullion cubes
-four carrots, skinned and sliced thin
-four celery stalks, sliced thin
-teaspoon of parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-pinch of sugar
-approx 1 1/2 to two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into fairly small pieces
-48 ounces of water to start (may have to add more as it evaporates out)
-1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
-1 1/2, 16 ounce bags of Kluski noodles

Adjust recipe as needed (number of people eating, personal taste preferance, etc)

Take the same recipe as above, and after thickening to preferance, pur it over biscuits.

Sloppy Joes
-3 pounds ground beef
-approx 2-3 tablespoons (or a little less) each ketchup, steak sauce (any kind, I'll mix a variety of what I have, A-1, generic brands, Heinz 57 sauce), mustard and Worstechire sauce (yeah, I don't remember how to spell it).
-1 cup each onion and green pepper, diced fine
-1 small teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon of sugar
-2 jars (more or less as desired) spaghetti sauce, I use Del Grosso meat flavored
-water, if desired, for consistency

Brown the beef, and add peppers and onions halfway through. Drain, add all the ingredients back to the pot and simmer for about two hours.

Also, on the nachos, at the bar I used to play pool league at, they had the same basic recipe, except after they browned and added the taco meat, they sprinkled shredded cheese over it and baked it in the oven. I prefer it my way, with a jar of salsa con queso, but that's just me. Also, you may have to adjust the cheese/beef ratio, so it isn't too thick like sloppy joe. One 22 ounce jar of sauce to a little less than a pound of beef is what I usually use. Two 15.5 ounce jars, you might want a whole pound of beef or a little more. Again, it's personal preferance.

Roast
-One, three pound English Boneless roast
-4-5 beef boullion cubes
-two cans of beef broth
-two cans of water (use the empty broth cans)
-teaspoon of parlsey flakes
-teaspoon of garlic
-one medium onion cut in strips
-4-5 carrots, to be added about halfway through. They come out soft and have been infused with the broth flavor and are awesome.

Pepper steak and rice
-two packages of braciole, or total of 2 1/2 pounds, cut into small pieces
-4-5 beef boullion cubes
-two cans beef broth
-two cans water (using the empty broth cans)
-1 teaspoon garlic
-1 medium onion, sliced into strips
-1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 large green bell pepper, added later (time depending on how crunchy/soft you like your peppers)
-3 bags of Success boil-in-bag rice.

Once the stuff in the crockpot is done, just pur it over the boiled rice.

Two recipe's, my mom learned both of them from going to see her mother, who is in assisted living in Columbiana OH.

Hillbilly Casserole (yes, that is what they call it).
-1.5 pounds of ground beef or ground turkey
-1/2 cup of fine diced onio
-1 teaspoon of garlic
-1 can of cream of chicken soup
-1 can of cream of mushroom soup
-8 ounces of cour cream (either regular or low fat)
-1 bag (16 ounce) Kluski noodles
-1/2 cup of milk, if desired

Brown the meat in a skillet with the onion and garlic. Cook the noodles. Add all ingredients in a bowl, mix well, pour into a casserole bowl (probably 9x13). Melt three tablespoons of butter and pur over the top and lighty coat the top with breadcrumbs. Bake, covered in foil, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Ham and Noodle Casserole
-16 ounces of wide egg noodles
-1 pound of cooked ham, cut up in smaller pieces
-1 can cream of celery soup
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-1/2 cup of fine diced onion
-1 teaspoon of garlic
-8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese (finely shredded works better)
-1/2 cup of milk, if desired

Cook the noodles. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, add to a casserole dish. Cook, covered with foil, 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Chicken Carbonara Risotto
This is a double recipe. It will easily feed 3-4 people, twice (dinner one night, and lunch or dinner the next day. When you microwave the leftovers, you may want to add a little water to it). For a recipe for less people/less meals, just cut the recipe needs in half.

-5 tablespoon of olive oil
-2 pounds of bonless skinless chicken (either breasts or tenders)
-2 cans (10 3/4 ounce each) of cream of chicken soup
-3 to 4 cups of frozen peas (cooked will work also; also try peas with diced carrots)
-5 (or a little more) cups of water
-4 cups of instant rice
-3/4 cup of bacon bits
-1/2 to 3/4 cup parmesan cheese )bacon bits and cheese optional

HEAT oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Cook with a tablespoon of parsley flakes, a small amount of salt and pepper, maybe a little sprinkle of each onion and garlic powder.

ADD soup, peas and water; bring to boil for a minute, plus one or two chicken boullion cubes; Stir in rice; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes. Add water if needed.

STIR in bacon bits and Parmesan cheese, simmer one more minute, add water if needed

Depends on how "soupy'' you like it. It's not supposed to be dry, it should have some moisture to it. Again, it's to your preferance.

~Crispy Onion baked chicken
-3 1/2 to 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken tenders
-two six ounce bags of French's onion strips (Wal-Marts version works too)
-three tablespoons of parsley flakes
-two eggs

Wash the chicken off. Smash the onion strips/parsley flakes in a one gallon bag with a rolling pin. Dip the tenders in the egg wash, then roll them lightly in the crumbs to coat. Put them in a large baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for forty minutes.

Baked potato is a good side. I like to make home made rice. 1 cup of instant rice, one cup of broth (beef or chicken), one cup of water, teaspoon of parsley flakes, a sprinkle each of Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic and one bouillon cube (that matches the broth). Bring liquid and seasoning to a boil. Reduce to simmer, add the rice, cover for 5-6 minutes.

Last edited by Mike Carr; 01-14-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Good recipes to try

Ridiculously simple dip:
1 block of cream cheese
1 bottle of salsa of your choice.
Mix thoroughly.

The result is some kind of pinkish stuff that nobody really knows exactly what it is. Then they try it. They they try a little more. And then it gets devoured. Simple, but addictive stuff.

Might have to make some, since Kraft absolutely destroyed their once wonderful French Onion Dip without warning...