Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Jr. Stock Book ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
In my experience, a "good" (ie: informative) used book will command more than the original price when it goes out of print.
I assume this one is not out of print, since there are numerous sources, including Wal Mart, selling new ones for around $40.

But, I really don't know when it's last printing was.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #12
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

The publisher no longer lists it on their site. https://www.cartechbooks.com/

Anywhere else may have old stock.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I ordered one as a birthday gift for my friend and partner in racing from back in the '60's.

I don't know if he ever got it though !! That was a few years ago and the price was around $25-$30 I think....

My good friend Joe Fasano lent me a copy and I enjoyed reading thru it.

Many familiar names and cars.....
Old 02-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #14
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

I really have enjoyed this book, the few times that I have loaned out to people, I made them swear that it would be returned. Some of the guys mentioned in this book are still racing today. Of all of the money I have pissed away on race cars over the years, purchasing this book was my best bang for the buck as far as hours of enjoyment. Jesus, hours of entertainment for 40 bucks? Quite being such a tight ***, pay for it and get on with your life.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #15
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
I really have enjoyed this book, the few times that I have loaned out to people, I made them swear that it would be returned. Some of the guys mentioned in this book are still racing today. Of all of the money I have pissed away on race cars over the years, purchasing this book was my best bang for the buck as far as hours of enjoyment. Jesus, hours of entertainment for 40 bucks? Quite being such a tight ***, pay for it and get on with your life.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Hey, be nice. If you live on your SS check, $40 for a book, is a pretty big deal.

If I had plenty of money, I wouldn't be on here talkin about racing. I'd be out gettin set-up to race a full schedule this season. But, to me, talkin about racin is better than nothin at all.

Checked with my library today. No copy of the book in the state library system.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Jr. Stock Book ?

Just bought one on Ebay yesterday for about 40 plus tax. Should be here nest week. That's John Barkley's '57 on the cover. I met him back in 1977 when I also met Tony Janes. That's been lots of Pomonas, lots of points meets, lots of bracket races, lots of race cars and a lot of lunches out ago.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #17
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Hey, be nice. If you live on your SS check, $40 for a book, is a pretty big deal.

If I had plenty of money, I wouldn't be on here talkin about racing. I'd be out gettin set-up to race a full schedule this season. But, to me, talkin about racin is better than nothin at all.

Checked with my library today. No copy of the book in the state library system.
With the passion for Pontiacs you`ve shown in your posts, you are on your way to a book of your own.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #18
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
With the passion for Pontiacs you`ve shown in your posts, you are on your way to a book of your own.
LOL !

No book plans.

But, I do plan to try to chase down all the Pontiac Stock/SS race results, class winners, record holders, & good pics I can.

From what I have learned, so far, I think MOST, or at least a large portion of, the info I'm lookin for was printed in the National Dragster papers. But I don't have those. And as far as I know, they are not available in an online form.

If I had all of 'em, I'd spend a large portion of every day, searching thru 'em for Pontiac info/pics. But, I'm doin the best I can.

Actually, I'm quite surprised at the amount of info I've been able to come up with. I suppose that's why they call the internet "The Information Superhighway".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...20superhighway

Hey, GM killed Pontiac. Actually, to some of us, it was dealt a death blow when the Pontiac V8 was discontinued, especially the 400 engine. But, there are still a few of us diehard Pontiac freeks out here, trying to keep the brand alive, on track on the track & street.

The unexpected amount of aftermarket Pontiac parts has really given the Pontiac hobby a survival boost. A "Pontiac" engine can now be built without using a single GM part. And that includes the alum head 428 Super Stock engines. For stock, with 400 & larger engines, I suppose the only 2 GM parts you must have are the heads & intake, since you can use an Edelbrock Q-jet.

That brings up a question. Just wondering if you can use thick sleeves in one of the aftermarket Pontiac blocks, to build a 350 Pontiac engine ? Only know of 3 guys running a 350 in SS. Maybe Bill Rink could answer this question.

The 350 bore was 3.875, I think. 400 bore was 4.120.

But, lookin at the info on CRI, I see that the aftermarket block is legal for a 400, but not a 350.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...2&MAKE=Pontiac

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...8&MAKE=Pontiac

Last edited by oldskool; 02-13-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Liked
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #19
Eddie Rezac

Liked 61 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Jr. Stock Book ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Anybody got a copy of this book you'll sell, cheap ?

https://www.amazon.com/Junior-Stock-.../dp/1934709913
There are 5 of these on ebay right now for less than 40.00 Eddie Rezac
Eddie Rezac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Jr. Stock Book ?

Mine just arrived today.It's a great book. Some old familiar names, some neat old race cars(where are they now?) It's a good read.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote