HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Dragrac419

Liked 184 Times in 82 Posts
Default Ford 302 questions

I'm in the process of building a new motor for a 1989 Mustang and wanted to know is it worth looking for the below Cylinder Head? If so does anyone have any leads on finding them as I have tried searching the net with no luck. I think I have a lead on one head at a cylinder remanufacturing company but that is all at this time.
F1ZZ-B

Also is there any difference in the below intake manifolds?
E7ZE-CB Aluminum Upper
E8ZE-EA Aluminum Upper
F0ZE-AA Aluminum Upper
Dragrac419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: Ford 302 questions

Buy them, try them, put them on a shelf. With the cast ones that's how it worked.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

I looked into this part# quite a long time ago and had one of my Ford dealer try to track it down....the F1ZZ-B wasn't a valid number for a 302 head and didn't exist. The only legal head I know of available is the E7TE in stock.
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
BRETV

Liked 596 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
I looked into this part# quite a long time ago and had one of my Ford dealer try to track it down....the F1ZZ-B wasn't a valid number for a 302 head and didn't exist. The only legal head I know of available is the E7TE in stock.
Not true. I had the F1ZZ head on my Superstock car I just sold. There are some sets out there. I had a guy in California that had a couple sets. I should have bought all of them. It is better than the E7TE head.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETV View Post
Not true. I had the F1ZZ head on my Superstock car I just sold. There are some sets out there. I had a guy in California that had a couple sets. I should have bought all of them. It is better than the E7TE head.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?

I’d love to see a picture showing these beads actually exist.. I’ve spent years looking talked to many ford contacts and have never found the number to be legit. At one point the only feasible suggestion was that they were used as a replacement only head at the dealerships at one point.. which made no sense. To me it might have been a paperwork number that was never cast on an actual cylinder head.. we gave up on attempting to find them and went another direction..

So I’d love to see an actual picture showing me that number was cast into a head and I didn’t totally waste those years looking haha
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
BRETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
I’d love to see a picture showing these beads actually exist.. I’ve spent years looking talked to many ford contacts and have never found the number to be legit. At one point the only feasible suggestion was that they were used as a replacement only head at the dealerships at one point.. which made no sense. To me it might have been a paperwork number that was never cast on an actual cylinder head.. we gave up on attempting to find them and went another direction..

So I’d love to see an actual picture showing me that number was cast into a head and I didn’t totally waste those years looking haha
We have been Ford dealers for over 50 years. They are very rare. They were a pre poduction GT40 head that you could buy over the counter. They changed the number in '93 to the F3ZE when they put them on the cobra and lightening F150. You could pick up the phone and call Kuntz, God rest his soul, and he would tell they are real.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Steve Stickel

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

So,

I too , have poked around in search of these heads, and heard some of the same stories as mentioned here. Just now I checked the online NHRA tech sheets and they list the head no longer as the F1ZZ (as the alternative to the E7 head) , but rather as the F1ZE-B. What head is this ? lol ! This must be a recent change as it is highlighted yellow.

PM's Welcomed

Last edited by Steve Stickel; 07-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Steve Stickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
BRETV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stickel View Post
So,

I too , have poked around in search of these heads, and heard some of the same stories as mentioned here. Just now I checked the online NHRA tech sheets and they list the head no longer as the F1ZZ (as the alternative to the E7 head) , but rather as the F1ZE-B. What head is this ? lol ! This must be a recent change as it is highlighted yellow.

PM's Welcomed
Sorry, My mind is full of coyote numbers trying to finish this FS car. The casting number is the F1ZE, the part number was the F1ZZ. My heads were the change in the guides. Hope this helps.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

The fourth position in a Ford casting is a "group" ID. Z is factory replacement and E is "engine group" (original part).

F1ZZ and F1ZE should be the same head.

F - '90s
1 - 1st year of 90's
Z - Mustang

'91 Mustang cylinder head.

This might help.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...sting-numbers/
Old 07-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
Steve Stickel

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

Ok ,,, Looks like the part # F1ZZ-6049- B does exist as found in the

Obsolete - Supercede - Interchange Manual FPS 7632-5 January 1994

http://www.fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=158340

http://www.fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=158516

appears to be the superseded part # for a 87 and a 90 truck head, E7, and F0, and given a Mustang designation as F1ZZ-B .

Curious to know what it looks like, NHRA tech sheets has the casting # as F1ZE- B , however, I don't see any published runner volumes , valve sizes, chambers, etc...
Attached Images

Steve Stickel is offline   Reply With Quote