HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2019, 01:42 AM   #91
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts
Default Re: What Stock rules would you change?

Take a look at Indy's Stock qualifying from the year 2006. Now look at it this last year. Yah know I have to admit I'm wrong it's not two tenths to me it looks more like at least three tenths. I don't want to change anyone's combo or add new rules would just love to see them have the AHFS keep up with the times. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #92
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Angry Re: What Stock rules would you change?

I have watched stock change a lot over the years, I can say after 56 year of racing in stock and ss I don't feel that any of those really made things better.The cost has more than tripled and ended the racing for many. Did we go faster ,yes , now if you don't have 25000.00 to spend on a engine you going to a bottom part of the ladder. Its time to stop changing and enforce the rules we have. I don't think NHRA gives a darn as long as money goes in their pockets. Stop changing.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #93
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
What rule should be changed for Stock and SS? How about an AHFS system that actually works? Can't believe no one has suggested this yet? I could write a book about how ineffective this system is. If you got some parity in how cars are factored, all of these other suggestions would not be as much of an issue. And yes, my car is as much of an offender as a lot of others.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Making all runs at all meets count would be a start. Wouldn't be popular with some but NHRA needs to somehow make the system work for all the racers. Basing "mine shaft conditions" on actual weather conditions rather than how many sandbaggers show up would also help.

Jim Mantle
V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #94
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
Making all runs at all meets count would be a start. Wouldn't be popular with some but NHRA needs to somehow make the system work for all the racers. Basing "mine shaft conditions" on actual weather conditions rather than how many sandbaggers show up would also help.

Jim Mantle
V/SA 6632
There is no easy answer. No matter what NHRA does us racers will figure out a way to manipulate the system. I'm not a big fan of lowering the indexes but if that is the what they do than so be it. I was hoping they would take a look at the AHFS and bring it inline with today's performances. I just hate seeing so many cars sandbagging to protect their combo"s. I have a 1970 camaro 402/375 hp rated at 400 hp. It's a good combo and can run a second under at most tracks. At Indy I was the third or fourth fastest in the class. I hate to see my combo get hit with HP when I know the 2015 Camaro's already have two tenths on me. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #95
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post

Jim Mantle
V/SA 6632
Jim..make a good point...!
Just for conversation and from your experience.
What DA would you consider mineshaft..?

My F/PS gets close to the K/SA index at sea level.
But most hot days are 2500 DA. Mountains are a lot higher.

Was shocked to qualify at Indy had to be better than .9xx.
The DA was something like 2700 ft.

A SS/PA Caprice went 1.84 under the index...
Think there was one Stocker close to that too..

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #96
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan Fahey;602587]Jim..make a good point...!
Just for conversation and from your experience.
What DA would you consider mineshaft..?

That's the hard part as every track is different.
I got HP at Mission this year by going 1.011 under at -76 ft. My scewup as I wasn't paying enough attention to the weather and I knew I already had another 1 under run.
It was true mineshaft conditions but apparently fell short of qualifying as such according to NHRA.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #97
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

I would think any DA below the tracks actual elevation should be.
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #98
DG7050

Liked 112 Times in 30 Posts

In an effort to broaden participation in our sport I would like NHRA to bring back ownership points and/or perhaps add a team championship points series. Such a change would allow me to share my car with my sons, giving my boys a chance to drive my car without the expenses of a second car, tow rig etc. A benefit would be to facilitate a transition of my racing operation to the next generation, rather than just cashing out at the end. In all likelyhood, as a group we would end up racing more. Plus it might help keep the value of our cars up as so many first generation racers age out of class racing.

To avoid abuses, NHRA could require me and a driver or two to register at the beginning of the year as a team. Taking his concept a step further, a points system for teams in stock and super stock (combined) might be created to grow the team racing concept. A team points series might total the combined points of my team,me and my two boys, at 3 nations and five divisional races versus the combined points of other teams in stock and super stock. Of course this only works if NHRA allows us to use the combined grade points as a team owner to enter national events.

It's thinking outside the current box, but maybe that's what we need given the rising cost of racing and declining participation among younger people.

Last edited by DG7050; 11-24-2019 at 08:47 AM.
DG7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #99
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Claimers!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #100
Brad Plourd

Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts

Get rid of all the blinders...separate the men and women from the boys and the girls.
Brad Plourd is offline   Reply With Quote