http://www.globalwest.net/impala-cap...bal-west-.html
monte385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
66cayne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: '66 Biscayne- chassis adjustment for better traction-

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte385 View Post
Thanks. I have a set, but you can't use the lower hole with stock control arms. My stock control arms are boxed, however I might switch to adjustable solid arms in the future.
66cayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
66cayne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Merk View Post
66cayne,

Take the guesswork out of your change and use this spreadsheet. It explains how to make 8 simple measurements, then enter the numbers into the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet calculates the instant center and several other setup numbers. We used it to get the rear suspension set up properly on our 81 Malibu. It helps you get it right the first time without guessing. Good luck.

http://www.patooyee.com/calculators/4BarLinkV3.0c.xls
Ahh! the engineering approach. Thanks for the spreadsheet. I have a couple of questions about the variables. How do you calculate the vehicle center of gravity (is it half of the car's height?)? Also, the suspension geometry x, y, z, dimensions for control arm lengths. I know what the length is of each of my stock arms is but not sure how that converts to an x,y, z dimension.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #14
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cayne View Post
Ahh! the engineering approach. Thanks for the spreadsheet. I have a couple of questions about the variables. How do you calculate the vehicle center of gravity (is it half of the car's height?)? Also, the suspension geometry x, y, z, dimensions for control arm lengths. I know what the length is of each of my stock arms is but not sure how that converts to an x,y, z dimension.
66cayne,

Put the car on jackstands, take off the rear wheels, and measure.

Open the spreadsheet and hover your mouse over the X, Y, and Z data entry cells. It will display a description of the measurement needed such as "height from ground" or "forward from rear axle center line." Enter the numbers in the appropriate cell and you will see a graphical depiction of your rear suspension with a top view and side view. It should be obvious from the plot if your numbers represent your suspension geometry. You can then modify mounting point locations to see how the change affects instant center and other dimensions.

Before using this spreadsheet we wondered why our car (and others) squat on acceleration. The spreadsheet showed us the stock instant center was behind the rear bumper.

Of course the final test is to run the car and see how it works at the track. We made a couple of adjustments and quickly found the sweet spot where the car really worked well. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
66cayne

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Merk View Post
66cayne,

Put the car on jackstands, take off the rear wheels, and measure.

Open the spreadsheet and hover your mouse over the X, Y, and Z data entry cells. It will display a description of the measurement needed such as "height from ground" or "forward from rear axle center line." Enter the numbers in the appropriate cell and you will see a graphical depiction of your rear suspension with a top view and side view. It should be obvious from the plot if your numbers represent your suspension geometry. You can then modify mounting point locations to see how the change affects instant center and other dimensions.

Before using this spreadsheet we wondered why our car (and others) squat on acceleration. The spreadsheet showed us the stock instant center was behind the rear bumper.

Of course the final test is to run the car and see how it works at the track. We made a couple of adjustments and quickly found the sweet spot where the car really worked well. Good luck.
Got it now, Thanks!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
300stw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cant get the link for the suspension to work,, in the same boat as OP,

cant really get the tires to hit hard fighting traction, would like to see a pic of the original southside bars and a pic of raising the mounting points for upper control arms,
300stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
Marty Knox

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
A lot depends on what height springs you're using and what size tire and rim size you're stuffing under there. I've tried wagon springs.That will change the geometry somewhat.
Don't forget to gusset the lower arm front bracket. They'll tear off the frame too. ;-)
I
I tore the lower arm front bracket on my 65' Bel Air with a 230 and a 3-speed!.