HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default General Cylinder Head Flow Numbers discussion

Hi All,

I'd like to keep this discussion as general as possible to encourage dialogue on the topic. If you're open to disclosing specifics that is totally up to you, but I feel like there are probably a few opinions on this topic and it could be a bit of an interesting discussion.

Basic question here is when you have your heads done or you do them yourself in legal stock eliminator form (whatever that means in this day and age to you individually) what is the most important improvement in flow characteristics you are looking for? 80-90% of us have less than .500 lift, so are you looking to see the numbers from .400-500 to jump? Are you looking at port velocity? are you looking at average from specific lift values? something else?

This isn't really a discussion on "HOW TO GET THERE" but more with your end results compared to where the heads started stock what makes you decide the heads are going to make you .800 .900 1.00 under capable verse the stock castings?

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts
Default Re: General Cylinder Head Flow Numbers discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
Hi All,

I'd like to keep this discussion as general as possible to encourage dialogue on the topic. If you're open to disclosing specifics that is totally up to you, but I feel like there are probably a few opinions on this topic and it could be a bit of an interesting discussion.

Basic question here is when you have your heads done or you do them yourself in legal stock eliminator form (whatever that means in this day and age to you individually) what is the most important improvement in flow characteristics you are looking for? 80-90% of us have less than .500 lift, so are you looking to see the numbers from .400-500 to jump? Are you looking at port velocity? are you looking at average from specific lift values? something else?

This isn't really a discussion on "HOW TO GET THERE" but more with your end results compared to where the heads started stock what makes you decide the heads are going to make you .800 .900 1.00 under capable verse the stock castings?

Brad
Port velocity and optimize the valve opening and closing events.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Port velocity and optimize the valve opening and closing events.
Curious what you man by "optimize the valve open and closing events" when it comes to the valve job or flow characteristics of the cylinder head. Maybe I'm just completely naive, but wouldn't this been completely controlled by camshaft design after you already know the flows and velocities of the ports?
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

On the V6 truck engine I went to core suppliers to get the best sets of heads for each approved casting number. How I judged the heads by valve protrusion into into the chamber. I bet I looked at 200 + pairs of heads. I think I had 4 or 5 sets of heads of each casting number to clean and test on my flowbench. Most of my winnings from Atlanta were used to buy the bench Jimmy Bridges did my first set heads for the truck. I think he picked the two best out of six.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Ralph A Powell

Liked 201 Times in 122 Posts

You want a port that continues to flow well past your max lift point and not go turbulent and is quite on the bench!
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
GTOMayhem

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
How I judged the heads by valve protrusion into into the chamber.

Was that to minimize chamber volume?

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
GTOMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

I’m not a head guy but with the valves hight in the head, if you had to sink one to get the cc’s correct it usually didn’t hurt the flow real bad. In most of the old cast heads one or two runners are just turds and are difficult to get to respond. I have made a few test valves.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Curious what you man by "optimize the valve open and closing events" when it comes to the valve job or flow characteristics of the cylinder head. Maybe I'm just completely naive, but wouldn't this been completely controlled by camshaft design after you already know the flows and velocities of the ports?
I should have explained better. Optimize the velocity, and like Ralph Powell said, go at least 0.100" ~ 0.150" past your maximum lift and you want a quiet port.

Seen too many heads with big flow numbers and low velocity that do not make power. Your valve job angles are also critical and different for each head manufacturer.

The reason why you want to have a good flow past your maximum lift is because you can make more power by doing a controlled loft of the valve past your maximum allowed lift. The cam lobe is designed to toss the lifter and increase valve lift to make more power while still checking legal during a static lift inspection.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
Stan Weiss

Liked 529 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Hi All,

Brad

I have not done an stock eliminator heads but looking at the rules, I do find it interesting what is being talking about. It looks to me the only area one can get creative is the valve job.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NHRA_Stock_Heads.gif
Views:	164
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	56436  
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Ralph A Powell

Liked 201 Times in 122 Posts

You need to read the gray area part of rules. Most of the heads are ported( acid and others ways the camouflaged) to pass tear downs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
I have not done an stock eliminator heads but looking at the rules, I do find it interesting what is being talking about. It looks to me the only area one can get creative is the valve job.

Stan
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked