HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-12-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Spoiled Brats!

It's what we ALL are. We're spoiled brats. Admit it. We all know it even if we don't want to admit it and if you won't admit it then you're delusional.
NHRA knows it too and they will use it against us for as long as there's an NHRA. They know that we all want that Wally because that Wally means that, if only for one race or one class run, we are the best at what we do in the biggest game in town. No other sanctioning body or independent race will do. And NHRA knows (short of quitting) that there's nothing we (the Racers) will do about it. Ya know why? Because we'll never stick together and do something about it. We will always fight amongst ourselves and be divided.
Ever hear of any Racer trying to organize a "protest" of NHRA by not going to their races? Sure you have. Know why we don't? Because for every Racer who WILL stay home, 3 WILL show up because they KNOW that "if you're not there', I've got a better chance of winning that Wally".
Has everyone read Tim Fletcher's post regarding the CRN excuses ( good letter Pup, I couldn't have done better myself!) list? Those excuses would never keep most of us away from an NHRA event and a chance for that Wally!
Just what IS a Wally worth anyway? Mine are mostly put away in a closet so that I don't have to dust them. Some have never been taken out of the boxes. Ya can't eat them. I guess the memories of the day mean more to me than the Wally does. Maybe (definitely, to me) it was the purse. Well, maybe not the pathetic purse anymore.

Just a couple more things, what will you do if/when NHRA goes away? Their "competitors/members" are literally dying to get out of the sport/hobby. Will the Jrs. keep them in business?
If NHRA went away tomorrow, do you all think that John Force would quit? Not a chance, he'd find a venue to pay him to put on a show. Would the local track owner just close the gates? Not a chance, he'd find Racers to pay him to keep the gates open and the track running. Would you all just park/restore/scrap your S/SS cars? Some might, most won't. Probably just finally have to find an independent race to run. That is if we haven't chased away all of the people who would be willing to put on a race like that by then.

Ya know, if ya want to spend a million bucks to race for NHRA's pathetic purse fine,ya want to race junk then go for it. BUT at some point in time quite soon we had all better stop acting like "spoiled brats" and figure out some way to become a more cohesive group.

Depending on your opinions of this post, I've either had too much or not enough Cuervo. Blame it on that.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts
Default Re: Spoiled Brats!

Well stated Billy.

How many dedicated NMCA racers once considered racing amongst the "Brat Pack" and thought better of it.

They seem happy.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-12-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts

Very good post Billy. You have been around long enough to see the highs and lows of NHRA racing.

Whether it is NHRA racing or association racing, please remember to have fun before the show goes away. It is now 2023 and NOT 1970 anymore. Work together as a group and see IF the show can get better. If it doesn't get better, then it will go away.

I love Stock and Super/Stock racing as much as anyone can that doesn't race anymore and hope I can see great racing action for many more years.

See you all at a track here in the Northwest. Have a fun year ALL of you.
Liked
Old 01-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #4
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Spoiled Brats!

When Professor Nees shares one of his gems of wisdom, I fast forward to the bottom of the post, hit “Like”, and return to the top…can’t help myself.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #5
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

Billy Nees for President 2024!
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #6
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

Nick,
Be careful of what you wish for.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:01 PM   #7
SBillinson

Liked 167 Times in 47 Posts

Most people are creatures of habit. They look at NHRA as the only place to race and act accordingly. I think that many, consciously or not, see an NHRA event as their version of the Olympics and want to participate regardless of how they're treated.

I see a lot of comments about how important Stock and Superstock are to NHRA. That's another delusion. The money they get from our entry fees is bupkis compared to their other income streams. Plus, NHRA has expenses just for our being there.

We're not important. That's the bottom line no matter how much lip service is paid, by NHRA or anyone else, to try convincing us otherwise.

The whole thing has been circling the drain since the early 2000's.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:08 PM   #8
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
It's what we ALL are. We're spoiled brats. Admit it. We all know it even if we don't want to admit it and if you won't admit it then you're delusional.
NHRA knows it too and they will use it against us for as long as there's an NHRA. They know that we all want that Wally because that Wally means that, if only for one race or one class run, we are the best at what we do in the biggest game in town. No other sanctioning body or independent race will do. And NHRA knows (short of quitting) that there's nothing we (the Racers) will do about it. Ya know why? Because we'll never stick together and do something about it. We will always fight amongst ourselves and be divided.
Ever hear of any Racer trying to organize a "protest" of NHRA by not going to their races? Sure you have. Know why we don't? Because for every Racer who WILL stay home, 3 WILL show up because they KNOW that "if you're not there', I've got a better chance of winning that Wally".
Has everyone read Tim Fletcher's post regarding the CRN excuses ( good letter Pup, I couldn't have done better myself!) list? Those excuses would never keep most of us away from an NHRA event and a chance for that Wally!
Just what IS a Wally worth anyway? Mine are mostly put away in a closet so that I don't have to dust them. Some have never been taken out of the boxes. Ya can't eat them. I guess the memories of the day mean more to me than the Wally does. Maybe (definitely, to me) it was the purse. Well, maybe not the pathetic purse anymore.

Just a couple more things, what will you do if/when NHRA goes away? Their "competitors/members" are literally dying to get out of the sport/hobby. Will the Jrs. keep them in business?
If NHRA went away tomorrow, do you all think that John Force would quit? Not a chance, he'd find a venue to pay him to put on a show. Would the local track owner just close the gates? Not a chance, he'd find Racers to pay him to keep the gates open and the track running. Would you all just park/restore/scrap your S/SS cars? Some might, most won't. Probably just finally have to find an independent race to run. That is if we haven't chased away all of the people who would be willing to put on a race like that by then.

Ya know, if ya want to spend a million bucks to race for NHRA's pathetic purse fine,ya want to race junk then go for it. BUT at some point in time quite soon we had all better stop acting like "spoiled brats" and figure out some way to become a more cohesive group.

Depending on your opinions of this post, I've either had too much or not enough Cuervo. Blame it on that.
Billy you should have just that amount of Cuervo. ( What ever that is) more often. I agree on everything you said. And you didn't even bring up my combo!!!! BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:02 PM   #9
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts

I'm not interested in racing NHRA National Events any longer. I will attend Divisonals and try to stay away from Regional Alcohol events but some are combined with Divisonals.
National events are just not fun and I'm tried of 7.00 AM to get ready for first out.
We all need to remember NHRA is in the entertainment business.
Stock/ Super is NOT the entertainment for majority of fans.
Stock /Super stock most likely has a shelf life at NHRA National Events. Yes they need us at Divisonals as we ARE (most of the time) the largest group of racers at the event.
NHRA is not going to get track owners to pay them to bring a Divisonal Event to their location if Racers don't show up . Look what happened at the Div 6 Mission Race in 2022. There's no Mission Divisonal race in 2023.
There's nothing wrong with NHRA, they run a business , it's their business they can run it anyway they want .
As Stock/Super Stock racers, if you don't like the way NHRA runs their business as it effects you, then I would suggest you try something different.
Get over the Wally thing, or wanting your car in ND or what ever your attachment to NHRA is, because it's ending at some point.
As I have said before on this forum , support your local Stock SS Assocation by GETTING involved. Not just showing up at a Association race , but in the building of a strong , well run organization for the future of Class Racing.
If there were 10 or 12 strong Assocations across the U.S with
5 to 6 well attended races annually , getting a Major Sponsor and secondary sponsors becomes a real possibility.
Association Racing is the future for Class Racing, like it or not.

Steve Teeter Stk/SS 620.
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:58 PM   #10
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,623 Times in 1,291 Posts

Let me remind everyone , without NHRA there will be NO local stock/super stock associations. You can’t race stock /superstock without the latest up to date horsepower factors. It will just be a bracket race without heads up runs and even now some local associations have dial ins when two cars in the same class meet in eliminations.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote