HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #21
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts
Default Re: Advice for new guy getting started

My advice is simple... Build or buy the fastest possible car or truck you can afford..or not afford.
Years ago I bracket raced almost every weekend with a friend that also raced a 65 Impala in stock. I wanted to jump into stock eliminator bad...but didn't have much 🤑 money. I told him I found a 80 something charger 2.2 turbo 4 cyl. It would go way under came with tons of spare parts and was CHEAP...he said don't do it... have you ever seen one of those really slow cars win the eliminator?...well no. A gust of wind at the 1000ft will kill it! Of course you can tow it all over the country to races that have class eliminations and win a bunch of little Wally's.
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:33 PM   #22
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e vassar View Post
.he said don't do it... have you ever seen one of those really slow cars win the eliminator?....
Hmmmm....
Old 02-27-2022, 01:44 AM   #23
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
Never seen a Jeep in Stock before
Who was the Fel Pro guy that raced one? Really nice guy, I forgot his name.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #24
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

So looked at the dime rocket thread… funny enough someone did mention the 98 Jeep with the 5.9. I got under it earlier today to take a look at the bushings in the rear suspension (not for too long though, pouring down rain). Probably going to order a poly bushing kit from energy suspension to tighten things up a bit. However, the rear suspension looks like it’s got some great potential. I need to plot everything out and see if it’s got squat or anti squat.

I’m leaning towards the Jeep for now. It would be a good truck to get my feet wet in racing. Motor runs strong, transmission on a fresh rebuild. Main concern is getting an SFI rated damper, roll bar, 5 point harness, and whether or not the diffs need c clip eliminators (I keep reading mixed info on the Dana 44 aluminum retainer type some say no c clip and others say the aluminum housing has c clips). I also need to take a look at the clutch packs for the limited slip. Oh yeah and a driveline hoop.

The ranger will take a lot of work. Motor and trans need a rebuild, they are both tired. Rear end is tiny and prone to breaking on anymore than stock torque. New leaf springs, track bars, shocks, etc.

The jeep is more of a get in and go as opposed to the ranger.
5.9magnumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:17 AM   #25
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Good luck with your project. You didn`t mention trailer, tow vehicle etc. If you are going to race NHRA Divsionals, you should plan to be there Friday morning. Stockers are called out for qualifying first, (in D1 anyway) 8:30-9:00a am. If you have to take time off from work on Friday, the cost of a hotel for two nights, fuel to travel, fuel to race and the generous NHRA entry fee, you will be looking at $600-800 or so. You can show up EARLY on Saturday and sleep in the truck, but missing two time shots could make dialing tricky. Of course, either way, you will have to deal with the sharks who have been racing their combos for decades. Losing first round gets old quick. Making laps at a local track`s bracket program will get you seat time and help you make informed decisions.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #26
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9magnumjeep View Post
So looked at the dime rocket thread… funny enough someone did mention the 98 Jeep with the 5.9.

The jeep is more of a get in and go as opposed to the ranger.

IF you think for one minute that your Jeep "is more of a get in and go" deal, let me save you the time and trouble, don't even start.

IF you want to do this deal then make your Jeep a Limited (NHRA doesn't care about the interior, only the badges and outside trim) and run N. No rollbar, harness, damper, jacket.

IF you want to listen to Mr. e vassar, don't do the Jeep.
There's still a few of us out here who have done OK with underpowered non-aerodynamic combos but you DO have to pay attention to the weather and wind.

IF you really want something that you can "get your feet wet" in and save about $2,500 of your $4,000 budget for your next victim, look at my thread in the ClassRacer Builds section "Not Fer Nuthin' But Close". It's inexpensive (I didn't say cheap!), cars, parts and support are readily available and it's not a bad little car to drive (in spite of what Mr. e vassar might think). And OBTW, I Bracket Race the car at my local track, it doesn't care if you call it an NHRA Stocker or a Bracket car.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #27
Rsmith38

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby DiDomenico View Post
Who was the Fel Pro guy that raced one? Really nice guy, I forgot his name.
His name is Greg West. I understand that truck is somewhere in Wisconson running brackets seen on Youtube.
Rsmith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #28

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Not sure about the " get in and go" statement. most stock vehicles aren't capable of running the index. That's why Billy has a gift or searching thru the guide looking for HP factors that allow some cars to do that. What is the index for the class that Jeep will run?

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #29
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9magnumjeep View Post
Right now about 4K, but can add more as paychecks come in.

I got a lot of replying to do, but my goal for this weekend is to create a list of what needs to be done on each to be ready to even get on the track. I’m sure this will factor into decision making for me.
4K is not going to get you very far. Might get you started, but it will take more time and more money than you can even imagine. If you’re patient you can get it done over 2 or 3nyears.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #30
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
4K is not going to get you very far. Might get you started, but it will take more time and more money than you can even imagine. If you’re patient you can get it done over 2 or 3nyears.
Now, THERE'S a pep talk for ya!

This is why Stocker projects don't get finished!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked